1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

President Trump: Post election week one

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Space Ghost, Nov 14, 2016.

?

Do you feel more confident or less confident about Trump post election day?

1. I am left leaning and I feel more confident about Trump

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. I am left leaning and I feel less confident about Trump

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  3. I am right leaning and I feel more confident about Trump

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. I am right leaning and I feel less confident about Trump

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Now that Trump has won the election and the world did not burn down the next day, has anyones opinions changed about him in either direction?

I found the 60 Minutes interview insightful, but not surprising at all. Once I looked past all the biased media (on both sides), I am left to believe that the 60 Minutes interview is the Trump we can expect.

I think the right will be disappointed to find out Trump is much more of a left leaning moderate and I believe the left will realize this also.

My takeaway is that Trump is not going to waste his time with social issues. He believes this is a states rights issue and he's not going to be distracted and take away from his original goals.

I personal am feeling much better about Trump. So far, I have little expectations. I think I will be most disappointed if he does not untether healthcare mandates from private insurance. This is very difficult to do and address pre-existing conditions at the same time. So far his suggestions are not so promising.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I am left leaning and my position hasn't swayed yet. I expected him to moderate his tone, at least initially, since that is politically expedient at this time. It's hard to take away much from he says at this stage, since he flips positions so easily. I'm waiting to see what he does, rather than what he says. I'm not encouraged by his appointments so far.

da_juice and DudeWah like this.
  3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, I marked less confident but more accurately, it's just the same. The problem I have with him is about his personal attributes -- his moral compass, his wisdom and judgement, his values, etc -- and not his policy. I mean, I don't like his policy but it doesn't matter so much. He can do a 180 and support everything Obama worked for and I still would have no confidence in him. If it was Kasich or Rubio or Clinton, I'd come around and hope to make the best of it. Trump literally cannot win me over.

I have found my limit on the liberal bias in the media though. Maybe it's because we have TVs on a news station all the time at work now. But, a week after the election and I'm still seeing headlines highlighting why Trump is a terrible person. The disdain from liberal mainstream news is palpable and I'm getting sick of it even as I agree with them. Yes, I know, he's terrible; but he just won the election for it so let's give it a break.

In general, I want to stop talking about it. Even today, I'm still posting about it, but I really want a new subject too. My wife thinks out loud, so I'm also having a lot of conversation about Trump in real life. I'm tired. I can only look at this train wreck for so long. I guess I need to start watching basketball again.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Where's the "I reject the false left/right dichotomy and am still pissed about picking the wrong side in the Mattress Mac mattress promotion" choice?

5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, I'm glad we're basing our impressions of Trump on a lightweight interview rather than his actual actions - appointing Preibus and Bannon as his co-chiefs of staff (I know Bannon has a different title, but he's basically doing the same thing as Preibus). So now we've got one Republican establishment guy and one alt-right guy. Is this really what the middle America Trumpists voted for?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I lean fiscally conservative, socially moderate - and I think Trump is a disaster of epic proportions.

I don't think he will work well with the Republicans or the Democrats - he has his own agenda, is not accountable to anyone and will try to be the same in the Whitehouse.

I personally believe that Congress (Republicans) will look to impeach him so Pence can take over.

DD

amaru likes this.
  7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

This is Trump at his most conciliatory. He lost the popular vote by a fair margin, and some people are ready for a street fight. Even some people who voted for him believe he is not qualified or does not have the temperament. He's walking on eggshells now. He'll get worse once he's in office.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You are missing one. I feel the same. That's how I feel so far.

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

That would be 100 times worse than a Trump presidency.

10. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It's telling when both sides are HOPING for the return of Preibus and the Washington insiders, for a Bush/Cheney pt 2, because the alternative with Bannon and the extremists on the far right is so much worse.

Watch for the continued lack of access given to the media which will slowly bend preferred media members to his will. It's the same thing that's happened in Turkey and is at risk of happening in England with the Brexiters, France with the Le Pen National Front party, and Germany with Petry-led Alternative-fur-Deutschland party. Policy is now irrelevant in today's politics; it's all about identity, and once you've chosen a side it becomes Us vs Them and all dialogue ceases. In the global circuit America will be more isolationist that it's been in almost a century, and this will invariably lead to Putin extending his influence across more and more of Europe. It's all setting things up for a major crisis to arise in the next decade. Only one little thing need set it off. We got the message during our election: a lot of people are now making desperate, self-preservational votes. But it doesn't mean it's the right decision. We've seen this before, and there were a lot people downplaying the risk back then as well. Calling the anti-Semitic sentiment from the Nazi party just a ploy to rouse up the constituency, figuring that Hitler would calm down his rhetoric once he assumed power.

Keep a close eye on the news, and ignore the jeers from the conservatives. It's now a matter of survival.

da_juice likes this.
  12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't want to compare Trump to Hitler, but I've noticed this as well. People saying he's not really going to build a wall, not really going to ban Muslim immigration, not really going to do x and y, is all reminiscent of Germans ignoring Mein Kampf when they considered what Hitler might do in power. Also reminiscent of how Rockets fans try to read the tea leaves instead of listening to what Morey says he wants to do.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I consider myself a radical centrist. There's no radical centrist option. But since you asked, I am cautiously optimistic about Trump.

15. babyicedog

babyicedog Member

Can't tell. Too much smoke still covering screen- can't see the real tRUMP.

"But something is happening and you don't know what it is, do you, Mr. (Alex) Jones?" (TY, B. Zimmerman).

Pre-Election: DRAIN THE SWAMP!

Post-Election: Reince Pribus= "Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss!" (TY, P. Townshend).

Steve Bannon: WTF, DT????
    Alex Jones: WTMF, DT???

Next: David Duke, Secretary of State

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know. I will try and keep an open mind. But I am worried. And I understand why minorities and immigrants are worried. They should be.

Right wing extremists have killed more civilians in the U.S. than Islamic terrorists since 9/11. Yet Trump has kept right wing extremist Steve Bannon on as part of his team.

http://www.newsweek.com/2016/02/12/...ger-threat-america-isis-jihadists-422743.html

People who are sympathetic toward ISIS or Islamic terrorism would never be allowed to be part of our government. It is understandable that folks would be worried having folks that are sympathetic to a bigger threat to them in our government.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Curious what Trump has done or said that would qualify him as a "left-leaning moderate"? Certainly not based on his two choices as advisors.

18. babyicedog

babyicedog Member

LIAR! TERRORISTS NOT WHITE!!!! FREEDOM FIGHTERS!!!

DARK PIGMENTATION= TERRORIST

LIGHT PIGMENTATION= CONSTITUTIONALIST

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

20. Granville

Granville Member

Calling his shot

[​IMG]

ima_drummer2k likes this.