1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

President of Basketball Operations

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, May 27, 2022.

1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

In the NBA, I am noticing some teams have a position of "President of Basketball Operations". Many of these teams even have a General Manager under him. Other teams. noticeably the Rockets, do not have a POBO. Rafael Stone is the GM and works directly underneath the owner. (I suppose one could argue that Tilman Fertitta is de-facto POBO if he is interfering with or overruling Stone's work too much LOL).

AFAIK, most other leagues don't do this. I did a quick look at MLB and only the Cubs have a "President of Baseball Operations" type setup. All other teams just have the head executive be called "General Manager". I'm not sure but I think NFL is the same way for the most part.

So what's the deal with "President of Basketball Operations" in the NBA?

Is it a way to demote a GM to assistant GM without doing so in the title? If so, that's silly. Elton Brand was clearly demoted when Daryl Morey was brought in as POBO for the 76ers and Brand knows it even if he keeps his GM title.

Is it due to contract legalities? That is Brand was hired as GM and you can't just demote him to assistant GM without violating the contract? I guess that makes more sense if that is the case.

Still, it would be like if Stephen Silas was kept as "Head Coach" but demoted but kept his title and Rockets brought in someone called "President of Basketball Strategy" and Silas worked underneath him on the sidelines.

Just curious to hear what people think about this POBO setup with some NBA teams.

wlekfjv923n and BigShasta like this.
  2. Jontro

Jontro Member

i thought gm only took care of the roster. unsure what pobo does, maybe took care of team activities, including pr stuff

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

could have to do with coordinating scouting , player development, etc that arent direct roster moves.

tilman too cheap to hire a POBO

he a Po-boy

4. Nook

Nook Member

Ultimately they are just names. Some teams have one non ownership decision maker and that is typically GM…. a President of Basketball of Operations is usually similar to a GM on a team without a POBO.

Jontro, apollo33 and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

but fillie has both gm and pobo. no wonder they are extra good

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Amber Alert sent.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It happens when you bring in a better GM but don't want to fire the current one.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

No real difference in function. Probably get paid more for the title. I never hear about the Raptors GM for example, everyone knows Masai makes all the decisions.

9. swakid8

swakid8 Member

Usually coordinating scouting, player development, payroll/salary cap, analytics. Anything related to operations directly impacting the team.

PR/Sales/Marketing/Arena stuff is usually on the business side of the team.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don't know anything like all the other posters in here, but I too wish to comment

durvasa, Nook, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

would like to be deputy vice assistant of president of basketball operations. hay @tillmen im a free agent for your front (or back) office. i enjoy long walks on the boardwalk and dinner at landry’s

Nook and hakeem94 like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Can we bring in a new president of coaching operations?

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

we need a president of point guard operations to facilitate the offense next season

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Why? What's the point? If the new one sucks we're stuck with him too

If he's great, he'll just end up stepping away from the organization to spend time with his family

Nook likes this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What we really need is a president of ownership operation, a.k.a. POO

Invisible Fan likes this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There are openings for Assistant Personel Under Basketball Executives,

Ass. PUBE for short,

Nook, Easy, Rudyc281 and 1 other person like this.
  17. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

I thought it was to take care of all logistics of running a big business. It's not just basketball. There's hiring/retaining, payroll, logistics, supply chain, marketing, IT... I mean everything that a big GLOBAL business would normally run. GM can that way focus on basketball matters and make basketball decisions

18. razorback88s

razorback88s Member

I think I remember Gerson Rosas quit the Dallas GM job after a few months a few years ago because he found out that he wasn't the main decision maker but functioning like a director of scouting or something

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

i'm all over dat. sounds like a position that fits me to a t

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

"deputy vice assistant *to* the president of basketball operations"

Jontro likes this.