1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prank or Crime: Girl Accused Of Poking 15 H.S. Football Fans With Small Needle

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rocket River, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What if the 2nd person pricked had aids?

Rocket River
    http://www.news4jax.com/news/14060951/detail.html

Girl Accused Of Poking 15 H.S. Football Fans With Small Needle

POSTED: 4:53 pm EDT September 6, 2007
    UPDATED: 6:14 pm EDT September 6, 2007

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- While a football game was being played on the field at St. Augustine High School, school officials said another so-called game was being played in and around the stands, where a student was poking people with small needle.

A St. Augustine High School freshman, who authorities said pricked 15 fellow students with a lancet -- which are often used by diabetics to check their blood sugar levels -- during the football game, was immediately punished when school officials found out about the incidents.

Although the acts took place at Friday night's football game, the school's principal, Tyrone Ramsey, said he did not find out about them until Tuesday, when students returned from the Labor Day holiday.

"I would describe it as students doing a prank. That's all it was. It's not a crime. It's just some kids out there playing and doing things that kids horse around and do," Ramsey said.

He said the student accused was remorseful.

"We have to always keep in mind that these are kids, and they make some mistakes. I think a mistake was made, and the kid is very remorseful and the parents were notified and understand the situation," said Ramsey.

One victim claimed she became nauseas after being poked, so she called police. A report was filed and the case was handed over to school system, which has the option of expelling the student because the allegations against her are among the most serious in the code of conduct.

The ninth-grade girl involved was suspended for 10 days, and the parents of the 15 students who were poked have been notified of the potential hazard, school officials said.

The girl could face more serious charges, but will not face any criminal charges.

Officials said the girl is not a diabetic and it remains unclear from where she got the lancet.

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

The needle might have already been infected with something. I think it should be considered a crime. She knew what she was doing, the whole "shes a kid that made a mistake" excuse is BS. Shes in high school not elementary.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is 100% a crime. A stupid one, but nevertheless it's still a crime. Very scary.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

20 years ago....a prank.

Today ...a crime.

DD

5. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

it's a crime, but the intent to harm wasn't there so that's a mitigating circumstance.

however, no one will know how much their health has been impacted until everyone is able to get tested for disease that's transmittable by blood. I'd say the concern here is more around hepititis then HIV, but anyway, the girl did a very stupid thing.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If no one is hurt, I'm satisfied with a school punishment. If she infected someone, they can always press charges later.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How is this different than if i shoot at gun at you . . . as a prank . .and miss?
    no one was hurt

Rocket RIver

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Intent maybe?

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Because a gun is a firearm and laws are written to specifically address firearms.

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

When I was in junior high we would cut off the little plastic ends off our shoe laces and stick a needle through them to make little blow darts, then we used a straw as a blowgun to shoot people with them. I remember playing Tempest while being shot five times in the back, having the needles sticking out of my skin yet finishing the game.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I did say it was a prank

Laws against all kinds of weapontry

Rocket River

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think this is where "reckless endangerment" comes into play.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

She's probably lucky she didn't get beat up. Pricking people with pins?

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Randomly poking people with a bloody needle isn't Recklessly Endangerment?

Rocket River

15. supafrumpy

supafrumpy Contributing Member

this is a public health nightmare...

didnt her health class or parents teach her nothing? Wow...I hope someone explains to her what damage she could cause...