1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential X Factors: Terrance Jones guarding Durant, Beverly Guarding Westbrook( + odds)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Beard, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Beard

Beard Member

Obviously nobody is able to stop KD and Russ completely, but I think these guys could make life difficult for them. Durant is at his deadliest when he gets seperation, usually via off-ball screens. This allows him to get off his amazing jumper, or forces the defender to over commit so he can drive past him. I think Jones has the speed, strength and defensive awareness to stick to durant through the perkins/ibaka/collison screens. The guys that give jones problems are overpowering F/Cs, Durant is not one. He isnt that great at getting to the rim either (4.4 shots at rim, parsons 4.6 for comparison, elite guys like harden 5.8). You need to work hard at not giving him space off the ball and force him to catch the ball stationary (those situations where he is standing 28 ft away from the basket with his hand up calling for it with a guy on top him happens a lot. That is a victory). When he does get it Jones has the height, length, and leaping ability to strongly contest his jumpers.

Westbrook takes pull up jumpers and gets to the rim. Ive never seen a pg contest jump shots like Beverley. Russ' somewhat below average percentages should get worst with beverly on him. The main concern with russ is him getting into the paint. He gets there more than any perimeter player not named lebron. From there he is a decent finisher in traffic (much improved from the past) and he gets most of his assists by kicking out, and with our abysmal perimeter D in those situations thats a recipe for disaster. Beverly's over aggressiveness leaves him susceptible to blow bys. He needs to harness that intensity and do every he can to keep westbrook in front of him. If we can play solid 1 on 1 D on durant and keep westbrook out the paint, we have a chance. Yes, i know, easier said than done, great strategy, you should replace mchale, blah blah blah, but seriously, they have nothing else to rely on. Even with us if you take away Harden & Lin, you still have parsons, and a big to finish pnrs. All they have is martin who cant do anything if Russ and KD arent getting into the lane.

Summary:

I think T Jones will slow down KD, bev will slow down russ, this combined with 20+ mins of perkins will lead to a rockets series victory.

ODDS:

Oklahoma City Thunder vs Houston Rockets - Exact Series Result
    All wagers have action
    8:30p
    Oklahoma City Thunder 4-0
    21/10
    Oklahoma City Thunder 4-1
    7/5
    Oklahoma City Thunder 4-2
    3/1
    Oklahoma City Thunder 4-3
    5/1
    Houston Rockets 4-0
    80/1
    Houston Rockets 4-1
    50/1
    Houston Rockets 4-2
    14/1
    Houston Rockets 4-3
    18/1

Normally for upsets game 6 at home is where it would happen, but this is different. Imagine Harden coming back to OKC with a chance to send his old team packing:eek: 18/1....

2. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I think Jones would struggle mightily.

3. Beard

Beard Member

to be more specific on solid 1 on 1 D on KD: give him no space. Crowd him. Westbrook, the opposite, maybe sag a little since ud rather have him shoot. I recall parsons guarding westbrook a couple times this season. That is very interesting since he could really sag off him preventing the drive but he is still able to contest his shots.

So D matchups assuming thunder small lineup
    Lin-K mart
    Harden-Thabo
    Parsons-Westbrook
    Jones- KD
    Asik - Collison/Perk/Ibaka

4. AFS

AFS Member

Agreed. I don't think Jones is ready for that kind of a matchup. He wouldn't be able to guard him without fouling.

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Do we have anyone on the entire roster that could slow KD down? Maybe Anderson would be the best choice, I don't know. Seems like Westbrook is the guy that takes the most shots for the Thunder these days. Thunder have a lot of weapons.

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Parsons has given him trouble at times.

7. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Why not slow down KD with Chandler Parsons? He's proven he has the length and quickness to play solid D.

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I agree, but, like you said, the problem is that McHale is the coach, so this will never happen.

9. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Hahaha what, Jones is nowhere ready to matchup with KD! Parsons is the only guy we can go to.

Bev on Westbrook will work well. Hopefully he rustles his feathers and brings out the bad WB.

10. Beard

Beard Member

he has been slipping recently. Harden syndrome, saving himself for the other end it seems like. Maybe in this series his role will be clear: STOP DURANT. Leave offense to lin and harden, just spot up with the occasional cut

11. teebone21

teebone21 Member

Jones is slowwwwwwwwww but people here think he can guard small fowards?

12. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

How about we put Parsons on Durant like he always have...?
    It usually seems to work...

13. CertifiedTroll

This is a great idea. We can put Asik on Sefolosha and have Harden guard Ibaka. Am I doing it right? :p

14. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

True, but this is Playoffs. We're fighting for our season's life. The Thunder see this as "the 1st round". Rockets probably see this as "all or nothing". There's no such thing as tired.

15. dream1222

dream1222 Member

WB a big PG, PB a little undersize for him, his stats was quite bad against OKC
    I don't think Jones Defense is better than Parsons

16. hltiki

hltiki Member

Parsons is definitely Rockets' #1 option against Durant, and that says a lot about how great Durant is, but as far as Beverly v.s. WB, I don't see the same amount of success that some here do. Actually, I think Lin might do a better job so long as he does not sag too much, but since the Rockets' gameplan is to give them 3s, WB and Martin might be scoring a lot of them. But it just feels like WB is a taller and more athletic version of Beverly, and Beverly is already the most athletic player on the team, so... its like the Rockets vs. Denver, same basketball, just the other is bigger, stronger, faster, and more skilled...

If you can't beat them physically, you gotta beat them mentally, and if all else fails, get PB to get in WB's head and beat him emotionally.

1 person likes this.
  17. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Jones can't even stay in front of Carmelo

18. Nextup

Nextup Member

Lol Jones is not slow.

19. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Parsons and T. Robinson on Durant. You need length to matchup with Durantula.

20. trowa2

trowa2 Member

like iggy say, best way to guard someone is to not let them get the ball.
    its true, no one can stop durant, so just dont let durant get the ball and let westbrook brick all day.