1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential NFL fan here!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Wapzoe, Aug 1, 2012.

1. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

thought ide share some andre johnson greatness...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WEJ8YjDrXCY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wk_Pd7N99d8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aX2b6dzNzqs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-mzToSf84YI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  2. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

This year the Texans are projected to do it again? Go deeper maybe?

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Generally it takes time for rookies to produce, especially 1st rounders drafted in the lower end of the field.

Unless you have it between the ears. Guys that have a natural feel for the game can come in and be productive right away, others can take 3-4 years to develop mentally and physically into real pros.

This year guys to watch are Whitney Mercilus and DeVier Posey IMO. Posey has drawn praise from Kubiak most recently for his strong play after AJ went down. Mercilus can be just that in the fact that he's been quick off the snap in camp and strong on the point of 'attack' (training camp wise) according to coaches this year.

There are some rookies that could surprise us Keshawn Martin, Jared Crick, Brandon Brooks (whom I'm personally hoping plays well), and even our rookie kicker Randy Bullock who's going to be called upon during what could be pressure situations to win games.

Overall good rookie pool that has great potential. Fantastic season to hop on aboard and join the parade. #BullsOnParade

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

They are projected to win their division by almost everybody (this means making the playoffs). This is mostly do to being in the weakest division in the NFL (other teams in division are Tennesse Titans, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Indianapolis Colts). We are definately considered a contender for thee Super Bowl in this coming season.

Usually players drafted in the first 3 rounds will see some time on the field, but really it is injuries that dictate how much playing a rookie gets. Their are 11 players on the field on each side of the ball and football is very physical so injuries happen very frequently in the NFL. Texans had 2 rookies last year (Reed and Yates) that got time on the field due to injuries to other Texans.

You are likely to see 3-5 Texans rookies get significant playing time this season

1) Whitney Mercilus - Our 1st round pick. Will rotate with Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin at OLB (the guys that bull rush the other teams QB every play).

2) Randy Bullock - 5th round pick - Our new kicker

3) Brandon Brooks - 3rd round pick - Massive guard that is fighting for a starting job on the team

4) Keyshawn Martin - 4th round pick - Wide receiver that will probably also do some punt or kick returns for us since he is so speedy.

5) Jared Crick - 4th round pick - Defensive End

#64 tallanvor, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  5. liljojo

liljojo Member

Generally, teams draft positions of need in the early rounds of the draft, so if a first rounder doesn't at least get into a rotation right away, he's pretty much viewed as a major bust. I don't think I've ever heard of a first rounder not be in a playing rotation right away. Unless they get injured, of course.

6. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

This. There are exceptions but on the whole, first rounders should see a decent amount of playing time their rookie year. A notable exception are late first round quarterbacks, who are sometimes drafted and 'groomed' by sitting on the bench and learning.

Kareem Jackson was notable because he went a round earlier than most people predicted, was handed the starting job and proceeded to be possibly the single worst player in the league his rookie year.

7. liljojo

liljojo Member

Also, Matt Schaub isn't clutch, except when he is.

1 person likes this.
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Nuts on the dresser never even crossed my mind.

In the canon of Texans memes, I didn't think that one was all that well traveled beyond just me.

David Carr and Mario Williams both deserved mentions, however.

Tony Boselli and Kareem Jackson, too.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No love for Aaron Glenn? :(

[​IMG]

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hence my surprise at you leaving it off. It's one of my favorites too.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I have to give the nod to Joe Thomas as the best for the simple fact that he has to face Suggs and Harrison twice a year each !!

12. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Duane brown is good bro, but cmon

Joe Thomas
    Jason Peters
    Clady on Denver
    Eugene Monroe
    Jake Long
    Andrew Whitworth

All those guys are better than Duane Brown and thats just guys I can name off the top of my head, duane brown is a solid left tackle but he's not a walter jones or jonathan ogden best in the league type

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Don't go there bro... Didn't work out to well for me. ;)

14. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

What..?

I think im gonna have to ask another question.

Can someone explain the Texan memes?
    I think i understand battlefight, at least at a rudimentary level

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

One does not understand battlefight. You must simply live to battlefight each and every day.

16. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

[​IMG]

17. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

This thread needs some Matt Schaub gifs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

From last year:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QdSY6NYs9aI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. liljojo

liljojo Member

Innegan: refers to Cortland Finnegan, star cornerback of the Tennessee Titans, who are historically our biggest rivals. He's well-known around the league for being a scrappy, often dirty player. Two seasons ago, The Texans' Andre Johnson (who's known as one of best and classiest receivers in the game) just snapped after one of Finnegan's many dirty plays. Johnson proceeded to "beat the F" out of Finnegan. Both were ejected, but Andre was awarded the game ball anyways.

Battlefight: Pretty simple. Coach Kubiak always applauds the team's effort during post game interviews, almost always using the words "battle" and "fight." He might have actually used the phrase "battlefight" before, but I'm not completely sure. It was pretty annoying when we were losing a bunch of games, but now that we're actually a good team, it's more humorous.

Kareem Jackson falls down: Basically, Kareem Jackson was our first round draft pick 2 years ago who is generally considered a bust. He started his rookie year for us as our top cornerback, and we had a historically bad defense that year, in large part because KJ couldn't cover anybody.

Any kind of challenge flag/Kubiak reference: Coach Kubiak has a HORRIBLE record when it comes to challenging the refs. So bad, it's genuinely surprising when he wins one.

And here are some nicknames:

#80 Andre Johnson (WR): Dre, AJ80, The Natural

#99 JJ Watt (DE): The Milkman

#56 Cushing (MLB): Cush

#38 Danieal Manning (SS): Wolverine, D-Man

#24 Johnathan Joseph (CB): J-Jo

Some videos:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SBT6MygnKKw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tTNc-CNZ9zc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

What about the nuts on the dresser one??

Also thanks man, this thread is educating me fast.. Hopefully ill be able to contribute to conversation once the season begins!