1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Potential draftee - Paolo Banchero - DUI charge (aiding / abetting - 2021)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TimDuncanDonaut, May 28, 2022.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

As days roll ahead, and potential teams dig a bit deeper to players' backgrounds. Back in 2021.

sports illustrated - Paolo Banchero, Savarino Charged in DWI Stop Two Blue Devils face charges after early Sunday morning arrests

Shawn Krest - NOV 16, 2021

Two Duke basketball players reportedly face charges following a drunk-driving traffic stop over the weekend.

According to multiple media reports, redshirt sophomore guard Michael Savarino and freshman forward Paolo Banchero were both arrested early Sunday morning. The pair were pulled over near Hillsborough at around 1:00 A.M. early Sunday morning. Savarino, driving, registered a .08 on a breath test.

Savarino, 20, was charged with driving while impaired and driving after consuming under age 21. He was also cited for failure to yield at a stop sign or flashing red light.

Banchero, 19, was charged with aiding and abetting impaired driving. The legal definition of that charge is that he knowingly encouraged someone to drive while impaired.

Banchero is expected to be a top pick in next year’s NBA Draft. He arrived as one of the top freshmen in the nation and has averaged 19.3 ppg in the first three games of the year. Savarino walked on to Duke in 2019 and is the grandson of coach Mike Krzyzewski.

Krzyzewski released a statement to media outlets, saying, “We are reviewing a legal matter involving two members of the men’s basketball team. Any further actions as a result of this situation will ultimately be determined by the Vice President/Director of Athletics and University officials.”

Both players were released after being charged. Both have court dates in early December.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    USA today - Duke's Paolo Banchero says he has no regrets after aiding and abetting DWI charge
    David Thompson - Nov 23 2021

"DURHAM, N.C. — Duke freshman Paolo Banchero said Tuesday he had no regrets after being charged with aiding and abetting DWI on Nov. 14 while riding in the back of a car he owned with Mike Krzyzewski's grandson, Michael Savarino, as the driver.

Savarino was charged with DWI and arrested on the scene. Banchero was charged but not arrested.

"I think we all learned from it," Banchero said after scoring 28 points during Tuesday's after a 107-81 win over The Citadel. "You can't really say much about it, but we learned from it and handled it as a team. We moved on and we want to get on with our season.""

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official court doc
    https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article255861171.html

"Aiding and abetting a DWI in North Carolina can be charged when a person knowingly turns over their own vehicle to someone who is impaired or fails to prevent an impaired person from getting behind the wheel."

[​IMG]

The athlete apology.

At least he didn't flip a suv ;).

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

4. TimDuncanDonaut

Happened Nov 14 2021. Was less than 7 months ago. Nothing scathing but always good to know what you're getting into.

5. TimDuncanDonaut

His coach still played him starter minutes while court dates pending, didn't get yanked.

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Not super worried about that. I (admittedly) remember being 19 and allowing the more sober friend to drive.

When I was 16, we were kicked out of a hotel by the cops at 3am. The room next to us slunk out and drove away when they heard Cops knock and enter our room. However, they left behind 1 person. So, we were instructed to leave. 6 of us and my friend driving a small Nissan. No one wanted to be the lap b****. My friend Seth volunteered to ride in the trunk if we'd give him a joint to smoke in there.

2 hrs down road, my friend falls asleep at wheel. I was in passenger seat and also asleep. we veer left, into oncoming traffic and I wake up about 6 secods from being smoked by a semi. He got us off the road right in time.

Them driving a little buzzed was wrong buf it doesn't register as anything to me.

don grahamleone, Dankstronaut and PWR like this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

That's even softer reasoning than my arrests. Be honest, a lot of the posters in here have an impaired driving charge. I do, I was also 19 at the time.

Just think, if they had been shooting up a building full of children the cops wouldn't have even bothered with them.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

If we had a wannabee pastor as the GM, it would have some impact.

Denovo, LFE171, charlieaustin and 5 others like this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

Mark Jackson is available if pastor coach. :D

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Breaking News: top draft pick is not a perfect human being and has made bad choices like all teenagers. :eek:

Bo6, Denovo, Ekiu and 2 others like this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

It's a matter of perspective I suppose. Say if you and I are from a middle class family, and you know in less than 12 months, there's an employment opportunity to be an instant millionaire. A chance to setup one's family for life. Not letting the little things to derail is not a bad idea. Be a saint, even if it is just a few months.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

As long as he stays away from strip clubs in Houston all will be well

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Jabari would never

14. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Wouldn't count on that for any NBA player

15. Roc Paint

The good news for Jabari they’re not as entertaining as they were in the past

16. Roc Paint

It’s so much easier nowadays to bring the strip club to your house

17. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Worked great for Deshaun!

18. showa13

showa13 Member

This is such a college thing to do

PWR likes this.
  19. Roc Paint

Deshaun Watson is a dumb ass. Even Lamar Odom as a rookie knew how to have a limo driver

20. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

I heard he cheated on a math test and stole some jolly ranchers when he was 8. Criminal don’t draft his Arse.

Denovo and Verbal Christ like this.