1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post your NFL playoff predictions here.

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by kidrock8, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Band Geek Mobster

Guess who has the 29th ranked pass defense in the entire NFL...Da Bears, that's who...

I don't think they'll make it past the Eagles, but there sure as hell is no way they could get past the Rams or Packers....

2. JAG

JAG Member

Uh,not true...Take out the Rams, who beat almost everyone, and the Noners are 3-1 vs. playoff teams, and the one loss was that come-from-way-behind overtime win by the Bears in Chicago...

As for the Rams, one loss was a blow-out, but the other was a 4 point loss in a game where Owens dropped almost 10 passes, hardly charecterisitc..

And, even including the Rams, the Niners have a winning record against with an above .500 record this year..

All that being said, and I still think they're going to lose in Lambeau...everyone does...

3. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

That may be true...

But the two numbers you overlook are

Pts per game 12.7 (#1 in the NFL)

Rush Yds per game 82.1 (#1 in the NFC)

Philly's rushing game has been hurting recently so they will not be the biggest problem. McNabb will be forced to throw to much, which will lead to turnovers...

St. Louis will be damn tough. But if The Bears can "stop" aka slow down Marshall Faulk then they have a chance at beating them. I think the Bears can do it.

As usual, your opinion is valued :rolleyes:

Anyways, nobody has picked the Bears all year except me. But I have been behind them since '85... So, lets not buck the trend.

Go Bears!

#23 Sonny, Jan 9, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2002
  4. Band Geek Mobster

I think that #1 ranking in points against is slightly misleading.

The highest rated offense (if going by points/scored) that the Bears played and held under their normal season average, and beat were the Tampa Bay Bucs (#15 in the NFL).

The only team they beat above 15 are the 49ers, but the 49ers scored 31 points in that game.

The only other team they played in the top 15 were the Packers, and they lost both times, giving up 20 and 17 in both games.

The point is the Bears didn't really play a good offense this year outside of the Vikings, 49ers and Packers. I'll give you the Vikings, the Bears did a good job both times in holding them down, but they still only won by 7 points against the Vikings in both games, the same Viking team with the horrible defense.

The Rams and Packers both have solid passing attacks that will stretch the Bears defense, but unlike the Vikings, also have a running game that can challenge the Bears also. Also in both Packers games, Ahman Green managed to rush for 93 (5.2 yards/rush) and 125 yards (4.3 yards/rush) in each game. It's easy to be #1 in points and rushing yards when you can load up on the run or the pass and not worry about being burnt by the other.

It would be fun to see Urlacher match up with Faulk though...

I think the Philly game is iffy, but I just think the Eagles awesome defense combined with their okay offense will be able to steal one from the Bears.

As usual, your opinion is valued too...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>
    <p>

(I'll match that 1 and raise you 3)

:p

#24 Band Geek Mobster, Jan 10, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2002
  5. Hydra

Hydra Member

Several people have pointed to the cold weather streak as a reason that Tampa loses to the Eagles, but have then given the Championship to teams like the Ravens or Rams. No team that has lost to Tampa in the regular season has ever won the super bowl. Why believe in one streak but not the other? I predict Tampa wins the whole enchilada. To me they are the most complete team in the league, offense, defense, and special teams.

6. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

You are aware the Bucs went 9-7 right? You are also aware that the Bucs would have to win 3 straight road games to reach the Super Bowl right?

:eek:

7. Sonny

It's on BGM. You make some good points, I just think the Bears have the Mo-Jo and will make some huge plays to beat the Eagles/Bucs/Pack/49ers/Rams....

It is their year. No matter what happens it was a great season and it at least got them a Monday Night game again... Plus 4 Pro Bowlers.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (I raise and call)

Go Bears!!!

It's not too late, get on the bandwagon before it leaves town for New Orleans... :D

8. Nomar

Nomar Member

Oh the logic.

So if the entire starting offense and defense of the Packers were hurt and not playing, the Pack are still gauranteed to win because hey, they are undefeated in Lambeau in the playoffs.

:rolleyes:

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

<b>Wild Card</b>
    <i>NFC</i>
    Tampa Bay @ Philadelphia - I have a feeling that the Buccaneers are going to finally buck the trend. I'm going to say <b>17-14 Tampa Bay wins</b>

San Francisco @ Green Bay - This should be a wild game! Both are solid defensive teams, both can light up the scoreboard. This might come down to making plays at the end, meaning who would you rather have Favre or Garcia in crunch time? <b>Green Bay wins 28-27</b>

Baltimore @ Miami - People talk about Baltimore's offense take a look at Miami's! If you play half way decent defense they whither and die. Baltimore has been there before, and they should win convincingly <b>Baltimore over Miami 27-10</b>

<i>AFC</i>
    New York Jets @ Oakland - The Raiders didn't play their best game and still almost won. They have been in turmoil, but they'll come together in the first round <b>Oakland over New York 28-14</b>

<b>Semifinals</b>
    <i>NFC</i>
    Tampa Bay @ St Louis - This has upset written all over it. Tampa Bay is physical enough and fast enough to keep up with the Rams offense. I'm going with the upset here, <b>Tampa Bay over St Louis 24-21</b>

Green Bay @ Chicago - Dream season for the Bears but the Packers have their number. They're in their heads, they can't beat Green Bay, and the Packers have more experience. They're not afraid of going to Chicago. <b>Packers over Bears 23-14</b>

<i>AFC</i>

Raiders @ New England - DANGEROUS game for the Packers. Raiders can beat them there assuming they don't self-destruct. New England is on a roll though, and Oakland can't stop
    anybody's offense right now. <b>Patriots win 28-21</b>

Baltimore @ Pittsburgh - This should be fun. Pittsburgh has the superior defense. Even if Baltimore steps it up in the playoffs I still think Pittsburgh's is better. Pittsburgh's offense is also better. Baltimore's only hope is if the old Kordell Stewart shows up and Grbac turns into John Elway. Not likely. <b>Pittsburgh over Baltimore 27-17</B>

<b>Conference Finals</b>
    <i>NFC</i>
    Tampa Bay @ Green Bay - I think this is Tampa Bay's year. It wouldn't surprise me if Favre finds a way to get to the playoffs, but I like Tampa Bay. <b>Buccaneers move on to the SuperBowl 24-17</b>

<i>AFC</i>
    New England @ Pittsburgh - New England is on a run but it all comes to an end in the conference finals. Pittsburgh is on a mission and will become the 3rd straight AFC Central division team to get to the Superbowl. <b>Steelers finish off Patriots 31-20</b>

<b>Super Bowl</b>
    Tampa Bay vs Pittsburgh - An all defensive battle. Steeler offense is far superior, defense is even better. Bucs will step it up, but the Steelers finally secure another Super Bowl championship. <b>Steelers over Bucs 17-10</b>

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Are you THAT desperate? I'm 99% sure that the Packers will field a mostly healthy squad for the game against SF.

Sheesh, talk about grasping for straws.

It's like when someone says they can beat up a bully, if only they had a gun.

11. Hydra

Hydra Member

The Bucs start slow every year. They also only lost 1 meaningful game in the last five or six that they played. They addressed all of their weaknesses from last year. They also added a great defensive end and kept most of their weapons. Finally the offense has started running through the A-Train instead of Warrick Dunn. I don't think the Eagles and Rams will be able to stop the run. The Packers are the team that really worries me, especially at Labeau, but I have faith in my team, thats what being a fan is all about.

As for the road games, they were able to beat the Rams in StL. If they can do it once, I don't see why they can't do it again. Beating the Eagles is all about shutting down McNabb, something Simeon Rice, Warren Sapp, et al. should be able to do fairly effectively. It is a great luxury to be able to pressure a quarterback all day with only the front four. They split home-home with Green Bay. That will be the pivotal game if they make it that far, the superbowl should go the the NFC winner, just like when the Rams beat the Bucs in the NFC championship.

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

You do bring up some good points...

But, while the Bucs do traditionally start off slow every year, do they traditionally do anything in the playoffs? Especially on the road?

They did address some weaknesses this offseason. However, didn't they address these weaknesses before the 2000 season? Wasn't Keyshawn going to be the guy who would help TB "open it up" on offense? Or was that Randall McDaniel and Jeff Christie? Or was that Brad Johnson, for this year? Fact remains that Dungy is one of the most conservative play callers in the game.

You're right, on paper TB looks as good as anyone. But Dungy and his conservatism will be TB's undoing. As well as a reliance on Mike Alstott. Alstott will probably fumble at some point in the Phi game.

The Eagle defense is probably better than TB's offense. I would also say they have better special teams. Usually in the NFL, you only need to win 2 out of 3, when it comes to offense, defense, and special teams.

I'm not predicting a Philly blowout, but I do predict a Philly win.

It will be an ugly 14-10 affair.

What will do TB in, will be turnovers. If TB can win the turnover edge, they win.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The Bucs cannot win in cold weather, something they'd most likely have to do twice to get to the Super Bowl...it ain't happen'.

14. Nomar

Nomar Member

Thats not what I was saying actually. You are talking like the Pack are going to win no matter what because of their cold weather team. That **** doesnt matter. Football is played on the field, not in record books.

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

So much for the Bucs doing anything... :p

Nomar-You have proven your ignorance before, with your 49ers "dynasty" remark. Do you really want to go on record as predicting a 49er win tommorow? Some people just don't know when to stop...

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've been watching the Eagles all year and they looked very strong today. You can't say enought good things about Andy Reid - that move to keep Trash involved was brilliant, imo, as the very next play he completed a strong 15 yard reception. The announcers kept praising the defense, but their offense moved the ball well and scored 24 points on its own against a very good defense. I feel the Bears are overrated. Still, it should be a good game. I expect to see a rematch of a very good opening day game in the NFC championship...Eagles vs. Rams. It'd be impossible to predict who will win that one so I'll just go with the Eagles cause I like them and hate every St. Louis team (no disrespect to the city, but the whole Astros-Cardinals thing works against them).

On the AFC side, despite their recent difficulties, I still like the Raiders. Either the Raiders or Steelers will make it out of the AFC, and I'll randomly choose the Raiders.

17. Band Geek Mobster

Well the Eagles are on their way to beat Chicago...:p

18. Sonny

Overrated huh? :mad: (Tampa's D is overrated)

The only thing The Bears are rated on is their defense. Which they back up. They only gave up 12.7pts a game. #1 in the NFL. They also are #1 in the NFC in rush yds per game. Once the running game is shutdown, McNabb will be forced to throw and that will lead to interceptions. He is a great QB but he will be neutralized.

Pass Defense is #29 in the NFL. Not a pretty number. But consider this. Last year they were #17 in the pass game and #19 in the rush. This year they are #2 in the rush and are forcing their opponents to throw. This will lead to more pass yds naturally. But their D has stepped up with 8 picks in the last 4 games. They only gave up 2 300yd passing games. One of those was to Ty Detmer in a 24-0 shutout by Chicago. The other was to Brad Johnson in a 27-24 Tampa loss.

You can say what you want about their offense. They are 13-0 when they score 13 pts or more in a game. They avg 21.1 pts a game for the year. Pretty good odds that they can put up 13 against Philly, which avg's 13 pts a game on D. Philly has a good D. But they will not stop Chicago.

Oh and the Bears do not have their best wide receiver (Marcus Robinson) and they are depending on a rookie as their starting half back.

All doubt will be settled next weekend. Go Bears!!! :D

Oh, and BGM, you SUCK! :p

#38 Sonny, Jan 12, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2002
  19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

raise your hand if your 2-0 :)

20. Hydra

Hydra Member

kidrock,

Good call on the turnover thing. What is the record for interceptions thrown in a playoff game. :mad: