1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible US Airstrikes on ISIS in Iraq

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Aug 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

At this point, what's the alternative, though? I think we HAVE TO stop ISIS. Otherwise, the slaughter and genocide there will go on.

2. treeman

treeman Member

This is not just a civil war. This is a terrorist army taking advantage of various regional civil wars in an effort to carve out a caliphate - a terrorist state that they intend to use to gobble up the entire region and launch attacks against Israel, Europe, the US, and anyone else who doesn't share their ideology in an ultimate attempt to take over the world. You can laugh at their goals all you want but in the process of pursuing them a LOT of people are going to get killed. We can fight them now when they are relatively weak, or we can wait until later and fight them when they are relatively strong, after several hundred thousands (or millions) of people have been murdered.

Ignoring this is what got us into this mess in the first place. Continuing to ignore it is not going to solve the problem. This is a problem that WILL touch our shores at some point, too. Understand what these guys want, and that is undeniable. These people are pure freaking evil, and nothing will change them but a large amount of lead and high explosives.

And yes, it will likely require a ground presence to combat. Kurds with radios are not calling for fire or strikes - only Americans can do that. And targeting by air can only go so far. It is what it is.

2 people like this.
  3. treeman

treeman Member

Being the jacka$$ you are, you're already on my ignore list, but sometimes I foolishly click on those red lines when I am bored.

See, I think Obama is more responsible, you think Bush is more responsible, but the truth is that they are BOTH responsible for the present situation. Had we not invaded in the first place it's unlikely ISIS (or a similar group) would have formed. Had we not abandoned Iraq in 2011, it's unlikely that a nearly defeated AQI would have morphed into ISIS and become what it is today. There is plenty of blame to go around.

But here's the rub: So freaking what? What use is it to babble about whose fault it is - especially when the blame is shared by so many? There's no point in it. And it seems like that is all that you have to "contribute" to the conversation. Take your whining somewhere else. It serves no purpose and only muddies the waters. It also shows that you're not serious about the current issue - that, or you have nothing useful to say about it.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

should have listened

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>FACT: President Obama kept his promise to end the war in Iraq. Romney called the decision to bring our troops home “tragic.”</p>&mdash; Barack Obama (@BarackObama) <a href="https://twitter.com/BarackObama/statuses/260415484674068481">October 22, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And how long should we have stayed in Iraq? A few more years? A decade? Indefinitely?

6. treeman

treeman Member

The Pentagon wanted to keep a residual force there until approximately 2017. Somewhere in the range of 5K-10K troops, not the large footprint we had while the war was raging. Just enough to keep AQI from reconstituting and to keep the Iranians from gaining too much influence.

No one wanted to stay there indefinitely. But you know, opportunity cost and all of that. We'll never know now, and it doesn't do much good to "what if" the situation at this point.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except the current situation isn't AQI it's another group. For that matter how would they know in 2017 that AQI was truly defeated?

8. bongman

bongman Member

According to Bush, we should have left right away :p

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

There is ample evidence of Mossad involvement in ISIS during its nascent stage.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Someone who comes out of nowhere and vaults to the top of the inflammatory jerk list in no time calls someone else a jack***. Incredible irony. Your lack of self-awareness is utterly amazing.

Don't selectively let ONE SENTENCE trip your wires. I'm not going anywhere. Get used to it. Just for you, I'll make sure and post a lot here now. You can either take meds, calm down and let the thread continue or you can continue the whining you started and derail the threads for a 3rd time. Your choice. I suggest #1.

1 person likes this.
  11. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Some people don't care for InfoWars, but here it is from them:

http://www.infowars.com/nsa-doc-reveals-isis-leader-al-baghdadi-is-u-s-british-and-israeli-intelligence-asset/

If true, many countries inside and outside of the region are meddling and should have hell to pay.

1 person likes this.
  12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Seems dubious -- I also don't see why the writer needs to quote an Israeli PM that was in power sixty years ago.

You could just as easily use an Eisenhower quote about meddling with Egyptian affairs in regards to the Suez and pretend it has something to do with something today. This is bad writing for the uninformed looking for confirmation bias.

13. treeman

treeman Member

It's the same damned people - same group, they simply changed their name and don't take orders from Zawahiri anymore.

AQI was all but wiped out when we left. All that was required was to keep some pressure up and the group was finished. That pressure disappeared when we left, and they used the time - and space provided due to the civil war next door - to reconstitute. And when they broke their buddies out of BCP in 2013, that was it (I called that one exactly, BTW) - they were back in business.

It's hard to imagine any of that happening if we were still there. But again... pretty pointless to argue it at this point.

14. treeman

treeman Member

Wow, sounds like you're taking this pretty seriously - and personally.

You think yourself too important, I believe. No one cares what you have to say. And why should they? This is the third straight completely irrelevant post utterly devoid of any substance relevant to the discussion that you've made.

Trolling now, eh?

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

16. treeman

treeman Member

"Al-Baghdadi was reportedly a “civilian internee” at Camp Bucca, a U.S. military detention facility near Umm Qasr, Iraq. James Skylar Gerrond, a former U.S. Air Force security forces officer and a compound commander at Camp Bucca in 2006 and 2007, said earlier this month the camp “created a pressure cooker for extremism.”

“Circumstantial evidence suggests that al-Baghdadi may have been mind-controlled while held prisoner by the US military in Iraq,” writes Dr. Kevin Barrett."

LOL @ this!:rolleyes:

I was at Bucca, and Al Baghdadi was in my compound. "Mind controlled"? LOL! Not that I know the guy personally or anything, but no one was "mind controlled" or anything there (I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean; did we pound his brain with some secret mind control ray gun when I wasn't looking or something?). As for being a "pressure cooker for extremism"... well, no s*it, sherlock, the place was full of extremists. We used to call it Terrorist U for a reason.

Jesus, man. When even freaking Infowars warns about the validity of the crapola they are posting, you reeeeaaaallllyyy ought to take it with a huge grain of salt.

17. NotInMyHouse

You might be right. Google "ISIS Mossad" and quite a few articles will pop up stating what I quoted. I didn't spend much time looking for any rebuttal. The idea is far-fetched, but interesting nonetheless.

18. NotInMyHouse

Right. I get that and know who he is. There were several sources to choose from for the article I quoted, and none of them I was terribly familiar with or thought to be very credible, but in light of some of the comments I thought it was worth shedding a little more light on the subject.

19. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

WSJ: How Israel Helped to Spawn Hamas

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB123275572295011847

Mossad has it's fingerprints all over the world, much less the Arab world. If they were willing to create such eeeevil TERRORISTS! right next to them, as the Wall Street Journal indicates, why is it far fetched to explore their role in other miraculously spawned terror gangs across the region?

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Says the psychopath with selective outrage at one sentence. Whatever. Keep inflaming. Can't help yourself. I'm still here.