1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Portland talk Radio] Morey wanted to move Battier/Alston last offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by white lightning, Apr 23, 2008.

1. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

The Blazers columnist (I think Jason Quick) was on local talk radio today and told a story about the Rockets. He said last offseason he went the the offseason GMs meeting and was at a restaurant sitting next to Morey and the entire Rockets scouting staff. Said Morey was very loud, and the columnist sat there at the next table for over an hour listening and taking notes. Morey was talking about how to improve team and mentioned upgrading Alston and Battier. They thought Battier wasn't a good enough offensive player/shooter. Apparantly, they were pretty hard on him. They really wanted Rashard Lewis, and went over numerous trade scenarios. One possibility was Travis Outlaw, but they weren't convinced he was proven enough. The local columnist thinks that Battier is the type of player the Blazers need, and Pritchard would seriously consider this deal this offseason.
    I guess we all knew that Rockets were looking to upgrade Alston, but this is the first I've heard about them considering moving Shane. Keep in mind, that this was on talk radio, but the source is a legitimate beat writer.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Battier for Outlaw and what? I mean that is intriguing...I like Outlaw...a lot....

What else could we get?

DD

3. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Battier is the only consistent 3pt shooter in the line up. We can't get rid of him til lwe can replace that quality at his spot or another spot.

We need someone like Ricky Davis, IMO, signed cheap to come off the bench for Battier/T-Mac. Battier can be useless against teams without a scoring swingman.

How about we deal him for Rudy Gay and Stromile Swift? Oh snap. (Yes, I know Swift was traded)

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I remember hearing this when it happened. No doubt we could use some offense from the wing. But trading Battier is a dangerous proposition. I hope he retires a Rocket and we find another way to bring in a scorer. Blazers have been trying to unload Outlaw like a hot potato.

5. Madmax89

Madmax89 Member

throw in rudy fernandez and u got a deal

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Um... nobody needs Ricky Davis on their roster.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

8. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

nooo- batman is awesome!

but if it improves the team (while adding heart) fine. :(

i think he proved a lot this year. if this is true, he added to his trade value- significantly!

9. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

very intriguing if we would get travis outlaw...i think we really need more offense from the 3 spot.

10. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Wasn't the proposed deal Battier and someone else for Jarrett Jack and Travis Outlaw? At least that's what I read on here.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all aren't realizing how much Battier would add to the Blazers. That would be a huge improvement for them. For us? It would just change our dynamic slightly.

12. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

All I see coming from this is Portland getting better, and us getting worse.

13. bbjai

bbjai Member

It would give the Blazers the stopper they need against swingmen. Their SF needs to shoot threes and thats it. It fits into their system. Our SF technically needs to be more dynamic.

I hope we can keep Battier and go sign Childress as the third man off the bench. I reckon given consistent minutes he can develop into something. In fact he can even spell T-mac

14. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

I stopped reading after this We need someone like Ricky Davis

15. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

I really dont think the Rockets should trade Shane Battier. After watching how Battier played in regular season, I have changed my POV on Battier.

It's always good to have a good perimeter defender like Battier. I also think Battier has showed more aggressiveness in his offense. Although Battier's pts is down but I think he will improve next season when he's more used to the new offense next season.

I think the most important thing is to upgrade the PG. A scoring PG will work fine with Adelman. There are many offense Adelman cant run with a PG that cant hit a open jumper with consistency.

But if you look around the league, there is no obtainable and affordable target. Many fans say Jose Calderon, but Jose Calderon is not obtainable. And you dont want to look at Jose Calderon's defense. Calderon will get abused by PGs in WC day-in and day-out.

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

What sucks with Shane is that he can actually score more points. He has a nice hook shot in the lane and a couple of moves in the post. If he would make it a point to get aggressive even 3-4 times in a game he could average 13-14 points because nobody is expecting him to try to score. Guys lay off him unless he is sitting in the corner waiting to hoist a 3. He could catch his man off guard for a few extra buckets a game.

17. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

EXACTLY. WTF???!!!!

18. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

This is my thought process too... Battier has posted up plenty and made a ton of nice mid range jumpers pretty damn consistently. I don't know why they don't go to this more - if people double T-Mac immediatly he should immediatly flop the ball to Battier. Battier's game is much larger than just shooting 3's he just doesn't show it enough. IMO Adelman uses Battier alot better than JVG, but just not enough. I mean game one he had 22 pts and only 12 were from 3s, pretty nice balance if you ask me.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Upgrading at starting PG is ten times more important than improving on Shane. But neither guy is sacred to me. Shane isn't a problem; Rafer is. When teams bait your yapping poodle of a PG into shooting the ball, you have a problem. How many times has Rafer had an 0/5 or 1/6 first quarter when all of his looks were open? When your starting PG basically guarantees the opposing PG can rest on defense, you have a problem.

I guarantee you Rafer will not be a starter here next season. PG will be Morey's #1 priority this summer.

20. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

you guys are overrating battier, who can only shoot a wide open spot up 3. he cant create his own shot or drive to the basket. its become glaringly obvious that we need a shooter who can also attack the basket and travis outlaw would be a great addition.