1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Will Beto beat Cruz?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Nov 5, 2018.

?

Will Beto beat Cruz?

Poll closed Nov 6, 2018.
  1. Yes. I am a Democrat.

11.0%
  2. No. I am a Democrat.

20.5%
  3. Yes. I am Republican.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No. I am Republican.

15.1%
  5. Yes. I am an Independent.

9.6%
  6. No. I am an Independent.

43.8%
  1. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

RasaqBoi likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

I hold both liberal and conservative ideals and have voted for both in the past, but at this time I cannot bring myself to vote for a Republican legislator on either the state or national level.

Anticope, VooDooPope, B-Bob and 5 others like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

When I lived in Texas I tended to vote Democrat 80% of the time.

Now that I live in Chicago, I tend to vote Republican 60% of the time.

In local elections I am far more likely to vote Republican now because I know a lot of the candidates personally.

As far as state-wide and national elections, I have voted Democrat 4 of the last 5 times because of the extreme nature or dishonest candidates the Republicans have ran the last 15 years.

joshuaao and Genesis like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes that's obvious. My point is the rural areas also have a lot of oil wealth among other things. I just thought about the titanic shale deposits.

Anyhow, I guess I try to push back against morally superior comments that just portray the rural right voters as dumb idiots who don't know what's good for them which was kind of implied. Also, I don't think any Republican has shown a serious willingness to take away and of those programs you mentioned.

Space Ghost likes this.
  5. quikkag

quikkag Contributing Member

I determine my stance on each issue individually, after thorough research and always with the caveat that later information can indicate to me reason to adjust position. I cast my first presidential vote for Reagan in 1984, and then voted for Bush 41 in 1988. Even in 1992 I cast votes for more Republicans than Democrats. Hell, I find I agree with Steve Bannon on a few points. However, the Republican Party--even before Donald--has fallen from the party of Eisenhower, which I consider the party's most recent zenith. What Donald and McConnell have done to the Republican Party is devastating. What had been the party of smaller government, fiscal responsibility, moral values, and strong alliances with democratic nations now is committed to corporate greed at all costs. And those costs are denigrating Americans in favor of strong-armed tyrants, creating and exacerbating division among Americans, forfeiting quality of life for all Americans for the sake of increased lavishness for the few ultra-wealthy, selling out morals for cult of personality.

if the Republican Party had anything left to benefit the nation as a whole, I would be in agreement with them on those issues.

#25 quikkag, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Nippystix, Genesis and durvasa like this.
  6. what

what Member

Well I voted today in Brenham, Tx. Doubt my vote will matter since I'm not on the popular side, but I can't stop, won't stop.

JeeberD, REEKO_HTOWN and NewRoxFan like this.
  7. HTM

HTM Member

I don't think the Neal Dikeman voters think there vote will matter either. That's not the point.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Usually I am not a straight party voter and will pick and choose my major candidates, though I lean liberal. This time, Trump is the number one issue on the ballot and any Republican who hasn't denounced Trump (which is to say all of them) earned a vote for his Democratic challenger. I made only two exceptions and one of them was for a high school friend who didn't even have a Democratic challenger. Even where I agree with Republican positions (which are usually free market issues), I will not agree until they get rid of the Orange One.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Your vote on the state-wide races will matter just as much as anyone else's. Sorry if you won't get what you want in local representation.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That's pretty much my exact sentiment.

As somebody who voted for Bush and Romney, I'm as down the middle politically as one can be. I make a choice, but have never felt particularly invested in the result. The wheel keeps turning pretty much the same as always. But the republicans have lost their f**king minds. Trumps behavior is ridiculously unhealthy for the country, so support of any republican is support for his antics right now. Anything resembling ethics or professional decorum has gone completely out the door.

I'm not sure if the party is truly this sick, or if this is just politicians going with the tide to stay in office, either way it's awful.

Nippystix, Genesis, Rashmon and 3 others like this.
  11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Same. I'm socially liberal but also lean more fiscally conservative. I'm an independent. However, the Republican Party and Trump has turned me off so much, I voted straight democrat. No regrets. If the Republican party keeps continuing what they're doing, I'll probably be a democrat indefinitely by default.

quikkag and Rashmon like this.
  12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]

lol. Closet liberal?

joshuaao likes this.
  13. conquistador#11

Rafael vs. Robert
    Beto vs Ted
    only 1/2 can survive.

14. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

It's nice to hear you guys different points of views on this election. I tend to lean more on the liberal side, but like to evaluate both sides of an issue. I'm disappointed/disgusted with the Republican party as is right now and hope there is a major shakeup within the party.

I will say, this midterm election got me more interested in results than in any previous years.

quikkag likes this.
  15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

In my view, Beto is a very unique candidate -- essentially doing this by himself and not wanting Obama and others to help him. With time and experience he could become a generational type of political talent.

Still, this is Texas, where is far easier for an average guy to get laid with a stunning 5'10" big boobie blond than to win national or state political races.

Hateful Cruz by 5.

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Too many country bumpkins in Texas falling prey to the fear based rhetoric of Faux News and the Republicans for anyone without a R by their name to be elected.

Makes me sick really. I bet its going to be Cruz by 10 pts or more and I'm going to keep planning my escape.

17. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I'm surprised it hadn't occurred to me until now that Beto's campaign has one important similarity to Trump 2016: doubling-down on the base, in this case, the left. We'll see how far it carries him, but all polls clearly show Cruz with a lead, current RCP average is 6.8 points. Beto will lose.

If Cruz wins by 7.5, I think pundits will call it a normal midterm correction. If it's 5 to 3, there will be much to say how a leftie who ran on medicare for all and gun control got within five points on a statewide election.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Mrs. NewRoxFan and I just returned from our polling location. Our two daughters will vote after school. First time the Mrs. voted for a Democrat (and didn't cancel out my vote). :p

Os Trigonum, ipaman, quikkag and 2 others like this.
  19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

BeYummie is supporting Beto...

MiddleMan likes this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

And tomorrow, @Space Ghost will be saying, "Looks at all of those liberal fools who believed Beto had a shot!"

TheRealist137 likes this.