1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] True Rockets Fan Roll Call 2021

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by s3ts, May 19, 2021.

Tags:
?

You a real Rockets fan?

Poll closed Aug 17, 2021.
  1. Yes

87.1%
  2. No, I dunno what i'm doing here

12.9%
  1. s3ts

s3ts Member

I've seen so many idiot fans crawl up here, claim to be a fan but asking for the team to tank... They got their wish. Those folks rarely visit anymore, if ever. Even though those are the people that really truly should be sticking around.

But in these unprecedented times, we can safely assume those fake fans are no longer paying attention, and that's been a big plus for me.

Thus I'm opening this thread as a poll w/ the user names displayed to mark the fans to look back upon in the future (can be 3 seasons or a decade from now). If you vote that you're a true fan during what looks to be pretty much rock bottom time for the team, it probably goes to show you're likely a real fan. Even if you vote no, there's a bit of credibility that you're still around the forum during rock bottom.

I'm hoping that this saves us the look-up time to see if a fan was around during this time, yet asking for [insert franchise player here] to be traded for yet another shitty tank job.

We can open another one of these threads next season if we mess up the draft.

HP3, clos4life and hakeem94 like this.
  2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

ABOF ('Armoni Brooks Only' Fan)

Easy, Jwise44, groovemachine and 2 others like this.
  3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I wonder how many are truly Rockets fans, especially when I read Clutch every day and see so much rubbish written down!
    I started my interest in the Rockets in 1967 when I attended a game between the Lakers & Rockets in San Diego Calif., so I have been a
    long time fan for 54 years. How many can say that? Yetti

4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I've been a fan since I was a kid. I attended a basketball camp held by Calvin Murphy in 1975 or 76 and I'll never forget him showing me how to make a reverse layup to avoid getting my shot blocked. This season was a b**** and super hard to watch but I'm still here and will be until I die.

runamok, Deckard, mikol13 and 5 others like this.
  5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

True fan and supported the tank. Didnt watch much but looked at the box scores. Losing was the best option given our draft obligations and lack of stars. Visited here multiple times a day.

6. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Wow that is going back. I wasn't born yet but I started being a fan because I used to practice on Sundays down at Fonde Rec as a kid. Saw Moses Malone eating up the court there then one day a skinny kid that had super springs showed up and started learning how to play in the paint. I had no idea who he was but I could see he was learning fast. I wish I could have understood what I was really witnessing at that age.

With Harden never developing into a full-time cold blooded killer and then working his way out and the rash of injuries, new front office, new HC, I was fine with the losses. The long term can be better if they get lucky and draft the right players to make a new core. Some of the young kids on the roster now have some potential that needs to be cultivated.

I will always scream, cry and bleed for the H.

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

FOH with this tinman baloney.

Rockets can't beat anyone so it's time to play "I'm a better fan than you."

8. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I dunno man, I was still seeing a lot of the pro tankers in the game threads all the way to the end of the season. The "we're sneaky contenders" crowd that were especially present during the win streak, on the other hand, MIA. Thinking big picture doesn't make you any less of a fan.

9. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Yes. I'm also upset about almost everything Tilman has done since buying the team. If that direction continues indefinitely, eventually I'm going to get rid of my season tickets, stop watching every single game, and move on. At some point, life is too short to watch this jack wagon destroy something I love through incompetence, cheapness, nepotism, arrogance, etc.

darksoul35, kjayp, burlesk and 3 others like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

the ones who actually dipped were several Harden haters, and guys who thought the team was still good post-trade and then got hit with the obvious reality

a lot of the ones who were happy right after the trade because they thought they were gonna get ball movement, team camaraderie, and other BS immediately went ghost or admitted they stopped watching when the losses started piling up...meanwhile, the ones who were on board with a tank job from the jump were here

the pro-tank squad hasn’t gone anywhere, so I don’t even know what OP is talking about...the pro-tank people not showing up is a fake reality

HP3, javal_lon, darksoul35 and 14 others like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Like @Astrodome

I'm a fan; but voted to tank.

I've lived through the days of R Sampson/Olajuwon and also saw the Rockets while they
    were annual 9th in the conference and picking middle of the draft; pre-Harden.

Rockets would probably still be picking middle of the pack like the Pacers and Sacramento
    if not for Morey and his "Poison-Pill" contracts to Lin and Asik.

don't like basketball purgatory of not being good enough to contend and not bad
    enough to pick a player that has a better chance of being great.

Lin/Asik>>>lured Harden>>>which lured Dwight Howard.>>>
    Capela (Lucas developed, replace D-12).

Those fake fans you mentioned are the fools that said don't treat Harden well and that he is a bum.
    Those fans got what they wanted and then took off. Leaving us real Rockets fans behind.

#11 ApacheWarrior, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
  12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

through the good and the bad... since the early 80s...

burlesk, s3ts and BamBam like this.
  13. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

If you think about the premise of this thread really, it doesn't make any sense. A fake fan is someone who pretends to care about and follow the team but doesn't really. If so, why would any fake fan advocate for the team to lose? Would a casual be interested in watching Khyri Thomas, Armoni Brooks, and Cameron Oliver get whalloped? The fake fans flock to good teams. A fake fan is someone who wears a Kobe Jersey and comments on Lakernation Twitter but doesn't know who Talen Horton-Tucker is. A fake fan is someone who has LeBron James as his profile picture and says that they're signing every superstar free agent because he doesn't know what the salary cap is. It takes 1000x more of a fan to be able to watch a tank, grit his teeth, and tell him self "this will all be worth it".

14. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

It is possible that we don't get our pick back but I think even if that happens Rockets will be okay. This season was a freakshow but a lot of good players shown what they can do. The Rockets in the off season will be unique in having the worst record in the league but will struggle to have enough open roster spots to keep the talent.

kjayp and burlesk like this.
  15. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I still support the Tilman owned Rockets....

don grahamleone likes this.
  16. Newlin

Newlin Member

These are NOT unprecedented times.

If you had been a fan as long as I’ve been a fan, then you would know this has happened before.

When the Rockets traded Moses, I didn’t understand. I was young and dumb. We had the best player in the league and we were trading him for what seemed like pennies on the dollar. The Rockets became the worst team in the league.

But, then the Rockets drafted Ralph Sampson, and Rodney McCray, and Akeem Olajuwon. The Rockets in a very short period of time had become a young and exciting team.

I now understand that sometimes teams have to take a step backwards in order to move forward.

Just because a fan understands and embraces taking a step backwards in order to have a brighter future. It doesn’t mean that fan doesn’t support the team or has given up on the team.

I watched almost all the Rockets games this season. They were bad, but already I’m seeing players that could be a big part of our renaissance.

I am not unhappy or disappointed with how the season played out, and I am looking forward to the draft.

17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Any TOFs should be permanently banned

s3ts likes this.
  18. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

... technically all time is unprecedented.

burlesk likes this.
  19. alethios

alethios Member

I've been a Rockets fan since the late 70s. I've seen plenty of shitty and great teams through the years, yet i keep coming back and supporting them because that's what fans do. Does it mean don't be critical of ownership, coaching, scouting and players - a resounding no! As a fan, I want the best product in the locker room and on the floor possible.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm a Rockets fan and a Tilman hater.