1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Should Vipers coach Mahmoud Abdelfattah be called up as a Rocket assistant coach.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 11, 2022.

?

Hire him as an assistant

1. Yes

108 vote(s)
    89.3%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. TimDuncanDonaut

While some fans may feel a type of way on Silas, as it stands it seems Rockets Org is committed to Silas and the rumored HC deal is 4-5 years. Normally, head coach (and GM) decides on his lead assistants. For lead assistants we have Lucas, Weaver, Higgins, Diop, and Hornacek. Then there's other assistants like Barbara Turner, short stint with Gerald Green and few others.

We've heard from beat writers that Silas is big into game prep, but also a lead assistant helps Silas for each opponent. Hence the lead assistant coach, who rotates and does the half-time interview each game.

Should Stone and Silas consider calling Mahmoud up and be an assistant to accelerate the growth of the rookies (Christopher, Sengun, Green, Garuba) and sophomores (KJ, Tate, Brooks). Rocket's development plan for the young players has a specific window. The 2023-24 season is not too far.

There's no strict rule that the assistant positions has to have a quota. Mahmoud could be an addition instead of a replacement. There's thing like budgets and fiscal year, but if Rockets really wanted someone they could move money around.

My gut feeling is Rockets org likes the current arrangement with the Vipers, but I feel the growth and development of the young players could be much better and prioritized further. If Mahmoud gives a better chance of development and coaching the current crop of guys, why not add him to the coaching tree? It also gives Stone a closer perspective for future decisions.

Rockets just lost to Raptors, where they dropped 139 on us. By another former Vipers head coach (and former NBA champion). Nurse applied full-court pressure in Q1 like a high school game and never looked back. o_O

Rio Grand Valley Vipers

Sep 2017 - Present (4 years 6 months)
    NBA G-League

[​IMG]

2. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

No. Hire him as head coach, not assistant.

Dopamine, Deckard, clos4life and 19 others like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

There are folks for that, but realistically I don't think Tilman would eat the money for letting Silas go early. Plus at least getting foot in the door, he'll have his first NBA coaching experience.

Nix and Queen are balling out down in G-league. Granted it's not the NBA, I think Mahmoud shows promise, and think our current young guys need help.

Changing a head coach is a bigger step, trying to see what's realistic.

#3 TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    Deckard, clos4life, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

will he get a new contract if he is promoted to assistant coach in the nba?

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have no idea. I don't watch Vipers games. Let me ask you this. How good is he at calling timeouts?

Nook, Deckard, clos4life and 8 others like this.
  6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Nah. He needs seasoning with the big club first. No doubt he can coach but the NBA is a different animal.

Deckard likes this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Yes. Rockets keep letting elite coaches like Finch and Nurse leave the organization too soon.

8. TimDuncanDonaut

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Just promote him to head coach. This is when I support in house promotion.

Coaches that do well in g league should b promoted.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not if he wants to remain a winner.

hakeem94 and ramotadab like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Been saying this for months.

Promote Abdelfattah to Rockets coaching staff in charge of offense with Lucas assisting. Or even vice versa.

Then hire Brett Brown to coach defense with Weaver assisting him.

Hornacek can be in charge of timeouts. Only keeping that jazzhole around for his daughter.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would not call up a coach midseason.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Only team it would hurt is the Vipers.

Rockets need all the help it can get.

Desperately.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cmon now cant be worse than stephen silas

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I would...theres only up from where rockets are....

16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

LOL THIS CANT BE TRUE

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Nix and Queen are still with the Vipers.

D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Yes ... and???

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Two points of interest here:

1. things like budget and moving money around... um, who is our owner? The expectations that we might splurge money is an interesting one...

2. I must be living in a cave, because I haven't heard the lead assistant thing before. It would be fascinating to look at some stats on how the team performs under the added preparation of each lead assistant, and also to see how the players have performed.
    I'd be happy to look at the stats if someone tells me which lead assistant did which game!

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Giving them consistent coaching is more important than adding another coach to the Rockets staff. Thinking adding another coach will fix (or have any significant effect on) the Rockets midseason is laughable.