1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[POLL] Should the US ban Chinese apps like Tiktok and WeChat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by davidio840, Jul 7, 2020.

?

Should the US ban Chinese apps like Tiktok and WeChat?

1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    64.2%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    35.8%
  1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

"While users who have already downloaded the apps may be able to continue using the software, the restrictions mean updated versions of the apps cannot be downloaded."

"In a separate filing on Sept. 15, the US government warned that communication over WeChat might be "impaired" as a result of forthcoming policies, but that "users will not be targeted or subject to penalties."

Using still seems ok. Commerce with it will not be

As Chinese american that uses wechat as the primary communication with my extended family in China, I still can't really criticize this action too much as the primary reason I used this was Facebook, gmail, etc etc. were banned in China. Turn about and fair play and all that.

Though as free market leaning person, I still say I'm not a fan protectionist policies in general. Instead of elevating others, we seem to start to getting into the mud. We used to stand for something better, now we are just wanting to show we're stronger.

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Absolutely. Just look at what Snowden showed us all 12 years ago (I believe).

You nailed it.

The US does the same things with social media data. I'm positive of it. The crazy conspiracy theorist in me says it's interesting to me how all these social media companies arose shortly after the patriot act and the government started spying on our smartphone metadata.

tinman likes this.
  3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I wouldn't call it a crazy conspiracy theory. These companies absolutely overstep the bounds and its very obvious the government has no interest in reeling them in. But I digress.

It looks like a federal judge blocked the WeChat ban.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/20/914983610/federal-judge-blocks-trump-administrations-u-s-wechat-ban

I did not understand how Trump and the Commerce Dept could ban WeChat and fully expected this. Although I would love to see Tiktok shut down, I feel this is an overstep of bounds too.

Im really curious why Apple and Google have not come out and voiced their opinion. I feel like this is against their best interests to start shutting down major revenue streams. I could see some of the bigger platforms working behind the scenes to get TikTok aquired by an American company, their tech stripped down and the rest of the platform scuttled.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Just watch the documentary on Netflix called The social Dilemma.

While I feel any documentary can be used to also brainwash people but as a former IT person in the industry, i can tell you that's why I have no facebook, google account, Instagram, twitter, etc accounts.

The real problem is not our privacy, it's how the AI takes over your brain and pushes your brain towards the same path as drug addiction. The AI continues to give you what you love without regards to how it really impacts your life/values/etc.

It's sad most people don't even realize the full power of Facebook, google, Twitter and even Amazon (not social media, but think about how it impacts how you shop).

Tiktok event is just a political game. The real damage has already been done by unchecked capitalism.

#64 MightyMog, Sep 20, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  5. adoo

adoo Member

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/10/21559677/tiktok-cfius-court-petition-ban-deadline

TikTok says the Trump administration has forgotten about
    trying to ban it, would like to know what’s up.
    TikTok has filed a petition in a US Court of Appeals calling for a review of actions by the Trump administration’s Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS). The reason, according to the company, is that it hasn’t heard from the committee in weeks about an imminent deadline for parent company ByteDance to sell off US assets over national security concerns.

The CFIUS set the deadline of November 12th for TikTok to divest itself of “any tangible or intangible assets or property, wherever located, used to enable or support ByteDance’s operation of the TikTok application in the United States.” TikTok says it applied for a 30-day extension that was allowed for in the CFIUS’ order, but hasn’t received any communication on the matter. It’s not clear what would actually happen if the deadline passed; TikTok was granted a preliminary injunction against it late last month.

“For a year, TikTok has actively engaged with CFIUS in good faith to address its national security concerns, even as we disagree with its assessment,” TikTok says in a statement to The Verge. “In the nearly two months since the President gave his preliminary approval to our proposal to satisfy those concerns, we have offered detailed solutions to finalize that agreement – but have received no substantive feedback on our extensive data privacy and security framework.”

“Facing continual new requests and no clarity on whether our proposed solutions would be accepted, we requested the 30-day extension that is expressly permitted in the August 14 order,” the statement continues. “Today, with the November 12 CFIUS deadline imminent and without an extension in hand, we have no choice but to file a petition in court to defend our rights and those of our more than 1,500 employees in the US. We remain committed to working with the Administration — as we have all along — to resolve the issues it has raised, but our legal challenge today is a protection to ensure these discussions can take place.”

ByteDance agreed to sell part of its US business in a complicated deal including Oracle and Walmart, which President Trump approved in September. But the deal was never sanctioned by the Chinese government, and it’s been in limbo ever since.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://apnews.com/article/technolo...and-politics-ac5c29cafaa1fc6bee990ed7e1fe5afc

FBI director raises national security concerns about TikTok

7. Two Sandwiches

tinman likes this.
  8. tinman

Supporting Member

Great deals on hotel rates

davidio840 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

WASHINGTON (AP) — FBI Director Chris Wray is raising national security concerns about TikTok, warning Friday that control of the popular video sharing app is in the hands of a Chinese government “that doesn’t share our values.”

Wray said the FBI was concerned that the Chinese had the ability to control the app’s recommendation algorithm, “which allows them to manipulate content, and if they want to, to use it for influence operations.” He also asserted that China could use the app to collect data on its users that could be used for traditional espionage operations.

“All of these things are in the hands of a government that doesn’t share our values, and that has a mission that’s very much at odds with what’s in the best interests of the United States. That should concern us,” Wray told an audience at the University of Michigan’s Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy.

Those concerns are similar to ones he raised during congressional appearances last month when the issue came up. And they’re being voiced during ongoing dialogue in Washington about the app.
    lol. wasn't this pretty much how twitter was run before Musk bought it? :cool:

10. Two Sandwiches

One would think that less control over Twitter would lead to more foreign government influence campaigns. Happens all over on all social media platforms.

If you are being serious with your comment, you're hilarious.

11. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I need to catch up on my Lawfare pods and readings, but I think there's much concern about recent laws in China proposed where Chinese owned companies will be required to hand over all sorts of information and propietary data to the government.

12. Two Sandwiches

I thought I had heard that, too, but I thought that was essentially being done since TikTok even became a thing.

I've definitely considered TikTok as a potential front for the Chinese government since it started. Brilliant move, really.

tinman likes this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

Well it is
    China controls all their corporations like Tencent with video games and nba rights
    I’m not on TikTok but I’m on Clutchfans
    So only 99ers know me

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

THIS SO MUCH THIS......and we could pass laws to stop that...

DD

15. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

China’s government controls all of their companies and even more so the ones on their several stock exchanges. I’ve worked with many Chinese in my past jobs and it’s widely known amongst the Chinese that come and do business over here, they just don’t speak on it much (obvious reasons).

There’s a reason there’s 10s of thousands of empty high rise apartments and etc there.

I’ve been over there several times for work (prior to Covid) and it’s pretty crazy to see areas outside of major cities that essentially have 30-40 high rises, that look like a small downtown, completely vacant. Most of the locals I asked about it wouldn’t say much but a few basically said (and I’m paraphrasing) the government subsidizes “contractors” to put the shell of the buildings up and then money is laundered elsewhere.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. dmoneybangbang

It's about time....

18. tinman

Supporting Member

As long as they don’t ban Clutchfans
    That information is stored by 99ers

J.R. likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

I’m glad the Clutchfans data is in great hands
    @Ziggy
    @Os Trigonum

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

TikTok doesn't belong on any sensitive devices - I mean for that matter, I am not sure if many apps do.

But banning TikTok from the app store and US citizens would be a severe violation of the freedoms of Americans. People should be able to decide on their own what information they are open to sharing with a foreign company. It just needs to be transparent.