1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Ish Smith's potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kingjosh, Feb 1, 2011.

?

Dish Smith + Jumper = ?

1. Bench fodder

15 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. Rotation player

74 vote(s)
    35.6%
  3. Sixth man

27 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. Starter

53 vote(s)
    25.5%
  5. Top 15 Pg

27 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. All-Star

12 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

Along with patterson, the 2010 summer has yielded a pair of intruging rookies with much potential. Smith however, is an exceptional pickup as the rockets were able to secure his talents for literally nothing. He has already shown signs of an improved outside shot and his playmaking abilities are plain for all too see.

Obviously the organisation values him highly, opting to gurantee ish's contract rather than sign Center Erick Dampier ( Center's are obviously a major weakness in this roster, which speaks volumes about Ish's potential.)

Futhermore, Ish is a class act and more importantly a leader which bodes well for his future career as a rocket. If you want to see what im talking about here's a nice vid:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TZyQqrNQWWw" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

So, assuming (fingers crossed) develops a acceptable jumpshot of say 35% 3pt shooting and 50% from 18+ feet, what type level of play in your opinion do you see ish achieveing a couple of years from now?

2. delishman

delishman Member

Must I pay a poll tax to see this?

:(

3. DJ

DJ Member

I thick he can be a top 15 PG. He is a true point guard who has court awareness and the right attitude. His outside shot needs work and if he improves it, along with his free throws, game experience will facilitate his ascension.

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

Backup PG

5. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

I haven't seen enough of him. Does he defend well?

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Are you kidding me? If you didn't pick "Top 15 Pg", you failed. Ishmael Smith with a good jumper is.......Brandon Jennings! :eek: :grin: :confused:

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I truly believe that he can be far better than Lowry and Brooks.

I wish we were playing him. At the very least, he makes it feel like we have a chance to win. Budinger and Hill really need him or Lowry in the second unit.

8. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Wow, if we're assuming that then of course top 15 PLAYER, not just top 15 PG. But don't you think it's kind of ... a huge assumption to make that he'll be hitting 35% from 3 regularly (granted he's at 37.5 now but with only 8 attempts) and 50% plus from 18+? Dude's shooting 40% from the field (don't know the breakdown but I'd assume that he's not shooting anywhere close to even 45% from 18 ft out). I think that's just way too big an assumption to make

9. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

Granted it is a very large leap but this hypothetical is based on ish working hard both during the season as well as every summer for the 3-4 years (couple of hundred thousand shot reps).

if you consider how young he his and the amount of time he has to develop, i would think the jump from abysmal to respectability is, in reality not that large.

10. AggieRocketsFan

Hard to tell so soon... I just hope he is able to understand Adelman's system ;)

11. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

You know this season is bad when the most interesting thing to do is poll the potential of d-leaguers and and extol their virtues because the Rockets picked them over a 36 year old center who averages 4pts 8reb per 36 on 40% FG.

12. Asian Sensation

LOL so sad but so true.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Tough to call at this point how good he can be. He has all the tools accept the one you cant teach - size.

14. Prince

Prince Member

great great potential. im sure other teams are salivating to get him.

15. jogo

jogo Member

It's a lot to assume that his shooting percentage will improve to that extent. If it did by some miracle, then he's probably a starting PG in the NBA, maybe an average one. He's incredibly overrated on this board and I'm just not sure why. He looks to be a career backup PG.

16. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

A poor man's Rajon Rondo. !?

17. PeppermintCandy

Hate to be contrary, but I think Dampier chose not to sign with the Rockets and not the other way around. Houston was Dampier's backup plan in case Miami didn't want him, IMO.

As for Ish, I see his ceiling to be a backup PG for a non-contending team. But he's already made big improvements in less than a season, and the Rockets like him enough, so who knows.

18. The Hungarian Rocket

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I'm not sure what part of Kyle Lowry isn't better than this guy.

I absolutely love Ish Smith, and he really resembles my game on the court, even have the exact same size as me. But this league has too many talented guys coming in. Hard to see D-Ish last too long in this league.

Kyle Lowry is better than Ish so its hard for Ish. His skill set is just not what is required from a 3rd PG.

20. josh123

josh123 Member

easily the purest PG on our roster...he creates easy shots for guys while Brooks is the total opposite and only creates for himself...would like to see him get more time