1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Getting Down to the wire, what would you prefer we do?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 17, 2021.

?

Here's your options, purely as a Rox fan which 2 choices are your preference?

1. Stay at #2 Draft J. Green

2. Stay at #2 Draft E. Mobley

3. Stay at #2 Draft J. Suggs

4. Trade up to #1 Draft C. Cade (No matter the cost)

5. Trade down to #3 or #4 for additional draft capital in coming years

6. Trade #2 plus other assets for a young star (e.g. Kat)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

The debates over prospects and everyone's perspectives has been awesome and even entertaining. We're 12 days out and many of us know what direction we prefer. Some of us (like me) are still open to different players or approaches. With all of the rumors out there, I thought it would be fun to see where we're at with trading up for Cade, staying put and pick one of the 2-3 guys we like or even consider moving down a tad (3 or 4) for additional draft ammo in coming years.

I debated the moving up for Cade option, because if we can get him for #2, either #23/24 and Det pick, I think most folks would view that as a win. However, if we're giving up that plus picks in coming years, I'm not sure we would want to strip away that many assets for a guy that may not be a generational talent.

I do like how Stone has built a team that meshes old school scouts with analytics nerds. I'm sure that debate is intense and then you'll have an attorney with Bball savviness making the final call.

No matter the outcome, we have lots of ways to go and none of them look terrible (at the moment). If you participate you can pick two or the options. My choices are stay at #2 and draft Green or Mobley. While I like Cade a lot, something tells me not to give up too many assets for him. Interested to see what selections we make.

2. Chamillionaire

I'd be ok with Green, Mobley or Cade for (2+24+det pick).

No to Suggs.

I'd be down to move up to 10 or 13 for 23/24, but I doubt that happens.

If OKC is willing to trade SGA for #2, I'd seriously consider it. Only 22.

#2 Chamillionaire, Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m here as well, although I would be ok with Suggs if we got a haul in trade scenario

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Where is the option for trading up for Cade depending on the cost? If the cost is too high for Cade, then Jalen Green is my preference.

if we ended up with Cade

[​IMG]

if we drafted Green

[​IMG]

if we drafted Mobley

[​IMG]

if we drafted Suggs

[​IMG]

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m all in favor of trading for Cade, but not “no matter the cost.” I’m willing sacrifice every pick this year and Gordon. Nothing more, and nothing in the future (aside from the Pistons’ protected FRP).

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I have been on the Green team for most of the debating, but after seeing what @J.R. posted about Mobley I’m not sure anymore! What I definitely don’t want is to overpay for Cade! All three Cade/Green/Mobley are blue chips with the potential to be stars OR busts!

Hopefully Stone has enough BB intellect to decipher who is the star and who is the bust!

Get’r done Rolling STONE!! ;)

Go Rockets!!!
    …….
    …….
    …….

Killatron 2000, Shark44 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Take Mobley at 2, offer him to the Cavs for Green and their 2022 pick ( top 5 protected), if they agree to this.

8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Pretty much exactly how I feel. Would love Cade but wouldn't break the bank getting him.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I just don't see anything else happening but us staying at #2 and taking Mobley or Green, but really there could be some crazy draft day moves coming that no one could guess.

How's that for a hedge?

As a fan... Green at #2.

Highlyrated, Shark44 and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. HP3

HP3 Member

Tillman interferes and we take Kuminga ;)

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

staying at #2 and drafting Jalen Green. Goes on to play like
    Kobe/MJ-lite in this NBA-lite era.

Porter jr and Green will be kicking @## and taking names for years to
    come as both improve on defense.

Use #23 and #24 for backups to Wood / Olynyk.

Even the Pistons want to trade back for Green.....because no
    team wants to be considered the team that passed up on
    MJ for a better version of Jason Kidd.

Back then it was, "you passed up on MJ for Sam Bowie!!!!!!"

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Detroit values Cade the most then they will take him, if they think Green is the best, then they would pick him. The only scenario they trade down is if they don't really care whom they get which doesn't make a ton of sense to me.

I do think we are better of with Cade than Green if only because Cade seems more versatile than Green. He is like a Luka Doncic with defense and a better shot. He has the potential to be one of the best small forwards in the game.

So I don't think Detroit will trade down and let Cade out of their sites. Green is exciting but Cade is just such a solid number one pick - passing rebounding, scoring, defense, 3 point shooting, playmaking, finishing - and he has height. How can you pass that up just because he doesn't have lightening quickness? Detroit will pick him and the Rockets will get Green.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Green is the most marketable player due to the flash of his game, if he was to interfere, that's who he'd want.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Very accurate. But if we draft Suggs after trading down and picking up assets, I'll be happier than Hitler-stache MJ.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm still all about taking Mobley.

That said, we have Detroit by the cajones. We're sitting at two....with the leverage of controlling their pick.
    If we can slide that pick back and get Cade....great. Otherwise I'm not giving up much more.

I know many of you love Green, but I don't want him.

If we didn't already have KPjr (and Mobley wasn't such a stud), I'd consider a move back for Suggs and a treasure trove of picks.

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Excellent post and you nailed the other option on Cade I couldn't think of--not enough coffee yet this morning.

carlos likes this.
  17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I started on the Mobley train a while back, but then started getting excited by Green's athleticism and potential. Now I'm highly malleable and really just don't want to give up a bunch of assets to move up one spot when our options are pretty good at #2.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Hitler stash Jordan selling underwear -- never forget.

19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

It's funny how none of us want to trade the #2 pick for a young star. I wonder if Doncic became an option, how that might change. Perhaps if we could get #1 (Cade) and send that pick plus other assets to Dallas for Doncic that could be in the realm of the possible. Cade would give Dallas a hometown hero to replace their star--could really juice up the rivalry, but that is not going to happen.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Trade up for a little or trade down for a lot.

fattz likes this.