1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

political correctness is just getting out of hand...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weakfromtoday, May 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brainwashing in Britain

The Daily Telegraph reports that in Britain the term "brainstorming" is now frowned upon because it might offend people with epilepsy.

Teacher trainees there are apparently being told to avoid the term and instead use something like "word storm" or "thought shower."

fox news

"word storm' ? "thought shower" ? has anyone ever been made fun of for having a seizure? ive been around a few people when they have had seizures and most bystanders just try to help (if they can) and are really worried.. hoping the person is ok. ive never heard someone say "hey loser! whats wrong, is your brain storming!" come on, maybe ive just been outta the loop and there is some crazy persecution going on of people with epilepsy, but i have to say, ive never seen or heard anything of it. then again, this story is from england.

thoughts anyone?

2. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

I don't even really see how brain storming relates to a seizure or epilepsy?

Anyhow the article did go and say that even people with epilepsy thought this was taking pc too far.

"'We also contacted people with epilepsy in the community and the overwhelming response was that 'brainstorming' implies no offence to people with epilepsy, and that any implication that the word is offensive to people with the condition is taking political correctness too far.'

'People found it more offensive that the question was being asked of them', she said."

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"thought shower" seems just as offensive to an epileptic person as "brainstorming." That is to say, not at all.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

We now return you to Battling Seizure Robots!!

[​IMG]

5. weakfromtoday

Supporting Member

yeah, my real question i guess was, do people just sit around at their desks and think of any possible words or phrases that may be offensive to anyone? when a certain group of people comes forward and says "hey, this phrase or word is really offensive to us" that makes sense, even if what they are complaining about is really stupid. it just seems to me that people are now trying to sell things to groups. like, "hey guys, i dont know if you noticed this, but this word that really doesnt bother me, well, i think it should really bother you. you should look into it." that in my opinion is what is getting out of hand.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

7-11 has to change their favorite drink slogan from "Slurpee Brain Freeze" to "Abnormally cold head syndrome inducing beverage".

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I guess we're getting to a point where you should make up your mind whether to follow political correctness or not. I will continue to use the phrase 'brain freeze'. I suggest ya'll make up your mind on this one as well.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

Hilarious!!

9. weakfromtoday

Supporting Member

HA HA HA HA. :D