1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Police: Oxford High School Shooting Suspect Looked Up Ammo In Class; Mom Told Him Not To Get Caught

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

as far as I know, there's no locked gun storage provision in Michigan, it's not illegal to gift a firearm to a minor if used under parental supervision while a minor and then ownership legally transfers at age 21, the manslaughter charges themselves require knowledge on the part of the parents ahead of time. It all seems pretty risky to me. the prosecutor would be better off pursuing less serious charges of negligence (or whatever) versus homicide/manslaughter.

If anything the school administrators might be held civilly liable for releasing the shooter back to the classroom

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

3. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

an discussion of what I'm suggesting here:

https://theweek.com/gun-laws/100773...rosecuting-an-alleged-school-shooters-parents

4. adoo

adoo Member

the school and parents are liable.

5. Buck Turgidson

Wasn't that his parent's call along with the school? Again I'm ignorant of Michigan law.

So much went wrong here. There's always a "red flag" but I can't recall them all happening on the same day.

Just so, so sad.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

They bought the gun
    For him to shoot someone.
    You buy a 9mm for "personal protection". Period

Rocket River

7. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Every tell-tale sign was there to stop it. Some people even did something. Not enough. It still happened.

joshuaao and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The school tried
    denied by the parents
    which is why the parents get to go to prison

Rocket River

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Negligence that results in death is involuntary manslaughter...

mdrowe00 and AleksandarN like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, said school officials should have searched Mr. Crumbley’s bag for weapons.

But she said that the steps to prevent gun violence begin far before someone brings a weapon onto school grounds. Ultimately it is lawmakers, not school officials, she argued, who have the power to prevent shootings by passing secure gun storage laws or red flag laws, which allow the police to temporarily confiscate firearms from people who are deemed by a judge to be a danger to themselves or others.

“You’re putting educators in an impossible position because they don’t really have the tools to proactively prevent guns from coming into the school,” Ms. Watts said.
    It is disgusting and idiotic to sue the school for compensatory damages when the root causes are left untouched. All it does is cripple that school district and rob their taxpayers of whatever standard of education their children might've enjoyed before.

Just another blip of insanity where we move on and wait for the next disaster.

People also quickly change their opinions on these things. A teacher who reports to the cops for a student hugging another could be considered 'overreach' or fodder propaganda for Nanny Statism. In this case, are we led to believe all teachers (and substitutes) should call police at the mere threat of violence or mental instability? These are teens coming to grips with puberty and understanding the insane world they live in...

It makes me think all this overreacting after the fact is due to how tied our hands are to the gun lobby and the nutters who believe its every word.

It wasn't a Force of Nature.

It wasn't an Act of God.

It should be those ****ers who should pay for the victim's families and the upfront costs of Their Freedom.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The problem is the school district has money, while those most responsible do not. The school made a pretty clear effort, but I don't know what options they really had beyond the ones they took.

National tax on guns and ammunition to establish a fund to benefit victims of gun violence and their families seems like an easy start.

Rocket River, Phillyrocket and Nook like this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The easiest place to start is getting rid of the gun show loophole, and by making people financially and criminally liable if the gun you bought ends up in a criminals hands.

If my kids took the guns I own and shoots someone, I should be responsible.

#33 rockbox, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  14. Major

Major Member

Easy except for the part that it would never pass Congress, unfortunately.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with most of this but there are some issues with holding people responsible for criminals having their guns. If an armed felon demands guns from an owner and acquires them, then shoots people with them, I would not want the original gun owner to be held accountable.

Also I've heard tales (don't know how true or frequent) of people having guns properly stored in gun safes and criminals stealing the whole safe. But if a family member uses it, then that would make sense to hold them accountable.

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I wouldn’t hold the school liable at all. The poor teachers are trying to teach a whole classroom and happened to notice the notes and took swift and proper action.

The worthless MAGA parents knowing the kid has problems still had guns available to him. When the school notifies them they just shrug their shoulders and don’t care. Now you could argue the school should not allow the kid back in the classroom or searched his backpack or locker but at what point can you justify that based on disturbing notes and searching ammo on his phone?

Do you bar any kid who makes a joke or draws a picture like that from returning to school? The problem is we are trying to address this by coming up with any and all ways to identify the risk, metal detectors, screening, etc etc instead of just eliminating the object that causes all of the problem.

Other countries must just laugh their asses off at us.

mdrowe00 and cheke64 like this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The school can't deny a student access to education until they have taken all of the possible steps first. They notified the parents and talked to the student. They did their duty. The blame doesn't fall on them.

18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Of course, that only makes sense. There has to be proof of negligence or willful disregard of the law. If the gun is stolen, then it needs to be reported. If you stick it in your dresser and it's not locked, and your kid shoots himself or his friend, then there should be at least civil liability.

Most people don't understand how easy for a criminal to get a gun through private sale without the seller having any legal exposure at all. You don't even have to show ID in Texas to buy a gun on Texas Gun Trader. Just show to someone's house with some cash.

I say all this an avid shooter and as a person who doesn't want "assault rifles" banned in any fashion. I also want suppressors available without a stamp. I just don't think we do enough to keep weapons out of dangerous people's hands.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't think they did everything they should have to prevent the shootings and I suspect an investigation of their response will prove that.

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Possibly. We know that they saw drawings and writings, communicated with the student. Communicated with the parents, asked if help was needed. I'm not sure of other steps taken or not taken. I also don't know the resources the school has at their disposal. Some schools have a counselor and others don't. It isn't totally possible to know at this point. But it isn't a case of the school not taking it seriously or not addressing the issue.

mdrowe00 likes this.