1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Plumbing help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Tommyboy, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

I need to replace the main hot and cold valves that control water to the master bathroom tub. How do I remove the valve itself? It looks like you could use a pipe wrench and unscrew it but you can't without the opposite end tightening. Do I need to get a small torch and unsolder the pipes (circled the solder points in yellow) and then unscrew the valve?
    [​IMG]

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. ling ling

ling ling Member

why do you need to replace it?

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

I'm in the process of replacing these valves and the washers/o-rings in the faucet stems as both are allowing water to pass through and drip in the tub. I could just replace the washers and o-rings in the stems to stop the initial dripping but I think it's also time to replace the main valves since they're not closing all the way anymore.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Cut it off and use pressure fittings & PVC to replace the valve and pipe. Go check out the hardware store and you'll see what I'm talking about.

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Thanks Xerobull for the tip! I'm assuming you mean compression fittings. I'll see if I can replace the small pieces of copper pipe with the compression fittings and then screw on the valve I just got. Could I go with the following items from HomeDepot?

Compression fitting going from 1/2" copper pipe to 3/4" open thread to connect valve: http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing/h...=-1&keyword=compression+fitting&storeId=10051

3/4" valve I already got from HomeDepot: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...53&langId=-1&keyword=3/4"+valve&storeId=10051

But I also saw this valve that looks to have one threaded end and one compression type end: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...53&langId=-1&keyword=3/4"+valve&storeId=10051

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yes, compression. My bad; posted before my coffee. :)

7. ling ling

ling ling Member

I don't think you need to replace this valve. It does nothing for you if you are just looking to stop the drip in your tub.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

I know I have to replace the stem washers and o-rings to stop that from dripping but I noticed water was still coming through when the faucets were removed and the valves were turned all the way off (closed position). So I figure I would replace those valves too.

But I'm still having issues trying to remove the faucet stems to get to the washers and o-rings. Gotta figure out how to remove that first!

9. ling ling

ling ling Member

My recommendation is to leave that valve alone. There is nothing to gain if you fix it. If your main valve closes, that's all that matters.

10. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Call a plumber.

11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't you turn the copper nut with a wrench while you hold the brass valve nut with another wrench. If it's really frozen then yes I think you have to unsodder it and work on it on your bench. Definately don't want to twist the copper pipe which is easy to do.

12. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

nothing will spin there because one side is soldered in place while the other is solid piece with the valve. this is what happens when cheap a-holes build houses they use cheap ass parts. they soldered after screwing the valve on the pipe fittings which probably allowed some solder to drip down into the valve and not let you completely close it.

really theres no reason to replace it. fix your initial leak. but if you really want to, do like others have said gonna have to cut the copper tubing and then use compression fittings (unless you want to solder). just remember to turn your main water supply off.

13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Thanks for everyone's tips and advice! This is definitely a crappy install from the homebuilder (Lennar) and it does appear to look like the plumber (if you can call him that) installed the valve on the threaded piece and then soldered that to the two pipes making it impossible to remove the valve by unscrewing it. I'm still trying to figure out how to remove the stems from the faucet handles on top of the tub and will post a pic of those later. Based on everyone's feedback I better fix the leak from the stems first and worry about the valves later.

14. Nero

Nero Member

I just wanted to say how wonderful it was to see this thread directly below the 'I'm Anderson Cooper and I'm Gay' thread.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Faucet stem removal?

Okay so I'm now trying to remove the two faucet stems in order to replace the o-rings and washers and stop the main leak. How the heck do I get to the stems buried in the tub?

I've removed the faucet handles and some additional plastic components.
    [​IMG]

Here's the view of the faucet connection from the top. I can see that the metal around the opening has two opposing flat surfaces but I haven't been able to open this up with slip joint pliers.
    [​IMG]

And here's the view of the faucet connection from underneath. It's almost impossible to get to the nut underneath here even with one of those angled pipe wrenches.
    [​IMG]

So any advice on what I need to do in order to access the hot and cold water stems so I can finally replace the old o-rings and washers???

16. ling ling

ling ling Member

17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Thanks ling ling for the online video tutorials but unfortunately the Moen cartridge I have for the tub faucet is different than the one in the video. I picked up this tool from HomeDepot today but it doesn't quite reach the cartridge and the two side edges are a little wider than the Moen's: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...keyword=danco+cartridge+removal&storeId=10051

So I ordered this to try to remove the cartridge: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...keyword=danco+cartridge+removal&storeId=10051

Still struggling with a leaky tub faucet. I've been using the collected water to water my mango tree for now.

18. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Go to Berings HW on Bissonet ( can't speak for others) and those guys are a bunch of old dudes that have been around and can answer your questions. There is a special wrench you need to buy that is at the end of a stick. Not sure even how to search for it but they should be able to direct you. It worked for me.

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Thanks for your tip krosfyah! I hope the wrench you're speaking of looks similar to this tool I ordered online.
    [​IMG]
    Is this what you used to remove and replace your cartridges?

20. ling ling

ling ling Member