1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Plenty of Factory Jobs, but Now Too Few Applicants

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by H-TownBBall, Dec 7, 2012.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

you've never heard of a bus? It's very easy to live outside a city and have a low-wage job inside the city. lots of people do.

#81 tallanvor, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

No, it wasn't.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How easy is it? Let's say I had a low-wage job in the city, but can't afford it so I have to live in let's say, Katy. Go.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

All run by morons I guess.

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

There's a good take on this---part of their starvation is due to their well, not idiocy, but let us say heightened expectations delivered at lower prices.

http://macroblog.typepad.com/macrob...-still-trying-to-separate-myth-from-fact.html

You don't want to train employees, you want to pay them lower wages, and you want them to jump at your feet because there's a recession. Swell grasp of economics.

When the Atlanta Fed is turning against you, you know your argument just doesn't hold much empirical water.

Excellent read on this from the Chicago Fed, which cites that the evidence is mixed at best, and offers a key reinforcement of the above cited insight---

http://www.chicagofed.org/digital_assets/publications/chicago_fed_letter/2012/cfljuly2012_300.pdf

6. SamFisher

Wrong again, that's simply not the conclusion at all.

For somebody who likes to espouse market-based solutions (I suspect, based on gleanings from Doktor Paul...), you're not exhibiting a very sophisticated understanding of how it actually operates.

In your version of reality, everybody not operating with perfect information is a moron. Information asymmetry is a real fact of life, and the reason why all markets aren't perfectly competitive (thus requiring....).

7. Major

Major Member

No.

Sensationalism.

Hundreds of thousands of factories? Really? How many factories even exist in the US? If each of these factories employs just 100 people, this would suggest you're talking tens of millions of people working at these employee-starved factories?

Basic math fails you here.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I was quoting an ariticle cited by Sam Fisher

9. SamFisher

Yes, you are indeed quoting the very same article that explains at length empirically and intuitively why there is no "skills gap" in order to argue the point that there is a systemic skills gap.

10. Major

Major Member

Sorry - my quote setup meant to indicate that, but I messed it up. My point was that the article doesn't make sense. There are only a few hundred thousand factories in the US - it suggests every one of them is unable to find qualified employees. That doesn't fit the common sense test.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Except the folks at metro want to use the money for public transport on more roads. You should go to the metro meetings. There are so many people there who depend on the bus.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That's the problem with most benefits
    they are ON or OFF

When they need to be gradual movement toward employment etc
    This includes Welfare etc.
    You cannot go from NOT WORKING and Making .. say 1200$ a month
    to go to work and making 1500$ a month.
    Seriously . . is the stress, aggrevation, and other expenses of working
    worth an extra 300$ ???
    Because in REAL MONEY your work product is only 300$
    Cause without working you would make almost as much

people actually do make a quasi Cost Benefit analysis
    We have to make the incentive greater

If the government and the company split the cost
    Say Gov Cut the benefit to 600 and the company pays the other 900
    Company now is saving 600 while it trains
    the Government is now weening the person off
    When the company gets their employee full time
    [set a limit of 6 months] - the government is completely out of it.

Of course they would have to put in safeguards against abuse
    Which would include SUBSTANTIAL PENALTIES FOR THE PERSON *AND* THE COMPANIES

Rocket River

13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

That's another debate.

I was simply pointing out to the person I quoted that you can have a low wage job in the city and not live in the city. Plenty of people do.

why would you have to live in Katy?

#93 tallanvor, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012