1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Please Help Me Find a Quality TV Show...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by azoghbi, Mar 14, 2011.

1. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Hey guys,

Over the past year and a half I've developed quite a television addiction to help turn my brain off after grinding through medical school. Prior to this I had really only watched TV casually, the only show I truly got into was Arrested Development about 4-5 years ago.

It all started with Lost for me, I blazed through that show and loved everything about it. It all went downhill from there, and I've run through the following list of shows:

Twin Peaks
    Dexter
    Breaking Bad
    Damages
    Dog Bites Man
    Tim and Eric
    30 Rock

Granted, those shows are all completely different but I truly enjoyed all of them in their own right. I really like the idea of shows with continuity and a plot that really hooks you in. Great writing and acting are extremely high on my list. I recently dabbled in Fringe and Lie to Me and was pretty underwhelmed. The writing is cheesy, the science is a bit laughable at times, and I am not that crazy about the idea of a "monster of the week" format with quickly resolving episodes each time. I don't mind slow moving or experimental shows and I'm willing to watch anything so long as its truly a quality show. I trust the CF community so I come to you and beg: help me continue my addiction with your fantastic recommendations!

Much appreciated!

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I was thinking about suggesting Entourage till I read great writing and acting are important to you. Still a cool show though.

My current absolute favorite is Spartacus. There is no way a guy cannot like the show. Both seasons are absolutely awesome! Great plot and great action and the acting is not bad either.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Good taste. Dog Bites Man was one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. I haven't encountered too many people who have watched the show for some reason.

Zach Galiafinakis was hilarious on it.

Maybe check out The Wire. The series has ended, but easily one of the best shows ever made.

4. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

The best thing is, if you want to buy it...it's on sale atm, although it's backordered. I guess that shows how popular it is!!

Link

[​IMG]

Pugs

#4 pugsly8422, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

TV is for sports. Reality TV at its best.

NBA and NHL playoffs. MLB starting soon. NFL a ways a way...

6. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Just recently got on the 'Modern Family' wagon. Great show.

I'd recommend that.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

This. Pretty much the best series ever besides the Sopranos.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Shameless
    Fringe
    Community

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'm digging Justified more and more. The writing is just good, not great, but the acting is every bit as good as you'd expect with Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

californication!

11. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

i feel like its impossible to have lived and not seen an episode of Entourage of Married with Children at some point, so yeah I've seen some of both of them but I'm looking for a bit more continuity. The Wire is the highest on my list right now, I had seen a couple of episodes and didn't get that into it at the time for some reason. That being said, I absolutely need to give it more of a chance and get to know the characters better. Don't know much about Spartacus, will look into it but I worry that it's not exactly what I'm looking for, thanks regardless. Keep 'em coming guys, I really appreciate it.

12. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Just *ahem* found, Justified online, truly was deciding between that and The Wire. Love Timothy Olyphant, most likely gonna start this one soon. thanks wes.

I also watch every single Rockets game so I agree, live TV is mainly for sports. TV on DVD/bluray/netflix is also good though...

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

And the most over-hyped series as well.

Total snooze fest.

14. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

Treme
    Generation Kill
    The Wire

15. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

heard some good some not so good things about Community, never heard of Shameless.

Californication Season 1 was solid, haven't continued with it though for some reason.

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

U mad! The second season was kinda boring, but otherwise brilliant writing, believable characters, pure awesomesauce.

17. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I can't stand Community. Gave it an honest try because I like Joel McHale and Chevy Chase is a legend, but it failed me. The characters are annoying. They used to get under my skin in just the last 30 seconds or so that I'd accidentally catch on the DVR when recording The Office.

18. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

the Wire
    the Big C
    United States of Tara
    In Treatment
    Boardwalk Empire
    Sons of Anarchy
    Shameless
    the West Wing
    Men of A Certain Age
    Spartacus

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Give Fringe another go. I'm thinking you stopped watching in season 1? This is when the writers were battle fighting Fox for a more mythological show like LOST. Fox wanted to have a 'monster of the week' type show so they could drop new viewers in without them being them being lost. The show hits its stride in season 2 when they completely ditch the "pattern".

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Agreed, by the end of season 2 it's almost a completely different show.