1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff Rules

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ipaman, Apr 29, 2019.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

WHAT, THE, F*CK, ARE, THOSE?

Who would create a league where it's okay to play 1,230 games in a season with one set of rules and then scrap them all out due to some unwritten tradition created by no one when your own personal showcase starts?!?

tobster and RayRay10 like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Players like Kawhi and Lillard are finding ways to score prolifically in the playoffs.

Harden is supposed to be a superior scorer than them.

apollo33 and Denovo like this.
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This has always been a thing. Refs tend to swallow their whistles in the playoffs.

4. Voltik

Voltik Member

Kawhi has been resting most of the regular season and just played 1 game against a decent defense. OKC choked big time against Portland and Lillard. Neither one has had defenses completely focused to stopping one individual person.

cbs1507, tobster and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. ipaman

You didn't answer my question or address my point.

That's my point, why is this a thing and why is seemingly everyone okay with it?

6. fchowd0311

Funny how fans of teams that don't have players that are heavily dependent on fta like Kawhi fans aren't complaining about this shift in policy.

Years from now when the Rockets get another superstar and that superstar scores without the huge dependency on ref calls, I garauntee you that the same posters right now incessantly defending Harden will make posts along the lines of "thank goodness we have a superstar now who can score without being so depedant on fta".

Denovo likes this.
  7. ipaman

Bro make another thread about how certain players can handle "playoff rules" while others can't because this 'aint about that. This is about the why regardless of individual player/team impact. Why is it done and why everybody (including league) okay with it? That's what we're talking about.

8. Mr. Clutch

I think it's because they don't want to decide games at the free throw line or with "ticky tack" fouls.

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they didnt swallow the whistle for curry and durant... its a pure 100% bullshit

Rocket River and RayRay10 like this.
  10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

then why durant and curry are still getting ticky tack fouls?

ipaman and Rocket River like this.
  11. fchowd0311

Didn't the Rockets get more fta? Didn't the Warriors take far more attempts in the paint where you expect more calls to happen?

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i was talking about the first round buddy

13. Mr. Clutch

Durant has the easiest job in the world. With Curry on the floor the Rockets can't double at all so he can just ISO all day without worrying about double teams or help defense.

But if you look at past years, Durant's free throws did decline in the playoffs.

J Sizzle likes this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Lillard will be scoring a lot less efficiently when they play Golden State next round, I'm sure. But overall....I'm with you. He has not been MVP form this playoffs, and it's a recurring theme. Until proven otherwise, it does not look like that will change this year.

15. ipaman

That's a interesting theory that I definitely can believe. If your theory is true, any idea on the genesis? First playoff season it started and took hold? The League won't admit they have a different set of rules which another offense in and of itself.

16. Mr. Clutch

No idea when it started, maybe the 80's when it became more of an offense driven league? I remember in the '90s they didn't want to call fouls at the end (like the Jordan pushoff) and the Rockets-Knicks matchup was like a cage match. There was also Karl Maone bearhugging Clyde Drexler.

ipaman likes this.
  17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

What's your point?

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Refs don't let people manhandle them

Rocket River

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

My guess is if/when Kawhi and Lillard play the Warriors that the rules will change for them too.

20. fchowd0311

Harden struggles to score efficiently with other teams that aren't the Warriors in the playoffs.