1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Players who don't run after dropped strike 3's.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by haven, Aug 3, 2004.

1. haven

haven Member

...are disgraceful. I mean, if you run your hardest, there's always a chance that the catcher will take too long to grab the ball or make a bad throw. Stand around? No chance. You're out.

You're getting paid millions. With the game in the balance (as they always are), you can run to 90 feet to first base.

I was really offended when the Braves last hitter didn't to close out the game. Sure, 99 times out of 100 it's a waste of effort... but occasionally it'll pay off. And it's just lazy.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe he thought if he hung around, the ump might have thought he fouled it... even the announcers were fooled...

Also, you gotta take into account that he was a lefty, and he probably saw the ball right in front of Chavez... but, I guess you're right about always hustling.

What about the slugger that admires his shot, thinking its a HR, and then when it ends up bouncing off the wall, he only gets a single because he wasn't running hard from the start... that annoys me more.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or the hotdog outfielder that gets a sharp line drive single towards a gap, cuts it off nicely, and lolly gags the throw in to 2nd thinking the runner won't challenge and the runner legs out a double because the OFer had no urgency.

Or a guy that runs Tom Gordon out to pitch instead of the best reliever in baseball.

What?

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Or a guy who apparently confuses Tom Gordon with Mike Jackson :).

5. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Things like this drive me crazy as well. Your getting paid millions and even though it will rarely pay off it couldn't hurt could it? Oh you might pull a muscle? Well isn't that a chance almost all of us take in our every day lives? How much do we make? Hmm, I guess it is too much to ask.

Pugs

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damnit. I thought something didn't seem right about that when I wrote it, but I didn't feel the joke was funny enough even if accurate to warrant me looking it up. Good catch, bobrek.