1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Planned Parenthood Director caught on tape selling aborted baby parts

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

lol, sure they don't

The misdemeanor charge for organ purchasing will be a tough sell, as there was obviously no true intent to buy.

And the felony charge for using a fake ID? How many investigative journalists have used similar tricks and never been charged with anything? The defense will be able to point to those.

One problem PP has is they are not the defendant, which means the CMP lawyers will be able to call them to testify, submit discovery evidence, etc.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

They sure as hell shouldn't ought to.

Are you denying my claim that these individuals didn't have a preconceived bias with an explicit agenda for a desired outcome that coincides with their preconceived notions?

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Always makes me chuckle when I see people defend unethical if not outright illegal activity...

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

No, I agree with all of that.

If anything, transparency about the source of information is more edifying.

Hiding one's biases doesn't mean they don't exist.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would hardly call them investigative journalist when their product was a edited to the point of misleading and also conflated with other material, showing a partial birth abortion, that they didn't obtain.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

You should.

This attempted "hit piece" subverted an entire partisan side of the government into a war on planned parenthood, who helps thousands of women a year. There was nothing wrong here, yet these "investigative journalists" tried to make something out of nothing, which could have indirectly cost women their lives, had planned parenthood been defunded.

They got far better than they deserved.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

commit a crime to expose a "possible crime" and this is what you get

8. Nook

Nook Member

I am glad someone pointed this out.

9. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

"Gang aft agley," mother****ers.

[​IMG]

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

There was no crime, there was never any crime except. They knew the product they wanted before they started, they knew who they could sell it to, they knew the rabid response they would get.

That's kind of the definition of propaganda:

prop·a·gan·da
    ˌpräpəˈɡandə/
    noun
    derogatory
    information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

In some states possessing a fake ID and impersonating someone you're not are illegal activities. Also attempting to illegally purchase human organs is a crime. That's pretty much exactly what they were charge with. So yea, they "allegedly" performed illegal activities to expose other illegal activities. I think only undercover LEOs can get away with that.

Also, Abbot is continuing to be an embarrassment for Texas and his term just got started. We got at least 3 more years of his dumb-ass. That is all...

1 person likes this.
  12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You forgot to add his partner in dumbassary: Dan Patrick. We're stuck with his hypocritical, lying ass as well.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Of course they do, that doesn't preclude them from getting information or documenting events or actions. The methods are adversarial because their subject is an unmotivated source.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I assume that at some point Planned Parenthood will file a civil suit against these bastards. I certainly hope they do, and if there is any justice, they will spend time behind bars. This has been very damaging to Planned Parenthood on many levels and I hope PP bankrupts the lying assholes before this is over.

15. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

per the article, PP is suing these guys. As they should.

While I don't agree with felony charges for false drivers licenses, and the other charge for attempting to buy could have a terrible effects on genuine investigative reporting (something this was not) there must be something else they could be charged with which is more directly related to the level of deception they tried to pull and the harm that could have come from it.

Deckard likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good to hear, bnb. As for harm, this has already been incredibly harmful to Planned Parenthood and countless women who depend on them for affordable reproductive services.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think these guys do the pro-life movement a disservice. Some pro-lifers I've seen have taken an ends-justifies-the-means position. I think they've hurt the credibility of the pro-life argument, moved the conversation further away from philosophy and toward partisanship.

Until he gets re-elected and we tack on another 4. Who knows how long we have to put up with him.

I think the charge for buying is a bit of a reach, but I don't see what's wrong with the fake ID charge. If these were instead well-respected reporters for the NY Times or some ish, I still would think a fake ID charge would be appropriate if they were flashing one around.

18. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

just my opinion, but I think a felony charge is a bit steep for this:

[​IMG]

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The felony charge is to give pause to future plotters, to consider the consequences. Make no mistake, this lie caused irreparable harm to a venerable institution on a nationwide basis and led Robert Lewis Dear to commit an act of domestic terrorism.

Deckard likes this.
  20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Just because the maximum possible sentence is 20 years doesn't mean McLovin has to get 20 years. Given what these guys used their fake IDs for, I think the punishment would probably be rather modest.