1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pistons like team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by skenney1993, Apr 2, 2011.

1. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Morey has molded this team just like the pistons championship team a few years back.
    Pg- Lowry = Billups
    Sg- Kmart = Rip
    Sf- Lee's defense ability = Prince
    Pf- Patterson/Scola = R. Wallace
    C- Hayes = Big ben

With the heart and soul of this team, why can't we produce the same results like the pistons.

2. Relentless

Relentless Member

Eastern Conference. Defense. Etc.

/thread

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

They didnt play zone back then...But yeah I like how its being built to be competitive...But Les wants CHAMPIONSHIPS...D Howard will spend up the process

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Too bad we don't have our Ben Wallace

Chuck is cool but not a shot blocker.

5. Rockets_4_life

That team was 8 times the defensive team this current Rockets squad is.

Also Tayshaun Prince is a long 6'9 SF, while Lee is 6'5 on a good day with a short wingspan, so I don't see how they're remotely comparable from a physical match up standpoint.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You mean the anti-pistons they play no or bad D.

7. FranchiseReDeux

these threads are getting worse and worse by the day...

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Because their frontcourt had more length and height. And this has been discussed before. A lot.

9. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

This thread delivers.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

They had a monster defensive backcourt coming off the bench.

People seem to underestimate the 2004 pistons. They didn't have a superstar like Shaq, but they had a very deep team. The starting 5 of the team are all all-stars or borderline all-stars, and are the best at what they do.

11. AggieRocketsFan

Because Morey didn't mold this team like the Pistons championship team.

Just because they both lack a superstar doesn't mean they are identical.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

That team was a historically good defensive team.

13. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Eh, that Pistons team, with all those guys in their prime...superior to this team.
    We are kind of similar I suppose, but this Rockets team has a lot of pretty good players. I feel like that Pistons team had that, plus some, and very good D.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sorry but this has been mentioned dozens of times over the past two seasons.

15. mig0s

mig0s Member

Well I agree that Chuck and Ben are different. But the 3-4 blocks that Ben does every game, half would maybe to out of bounce and another one would end up in opponents hands. Meanwhile Chuck can shut down big guys like Amare and KG. And at this point, Chuck is more effective offensively than Ben Wallace.

16. Glenyo

Glenyo Member

maybe we aint piston we are rockets ;D

17. chonox

chonox Member

PG: Billups earned his nick name 'Mr. Big Shot' on that Pistons team... Lowry has made some clutch plays, Kmart has hit clutch free throws to seal the game... but no way in any shape or form do we have a clearly defined 'clutch' finisher.

SG: Kmart is comparable to Rip I guess productivity wise if not better? But if his not getting calls his pretty much useless, Rip was alot more consistent and was constantly moving around multiple screens to hit his sweet midrange J (Team play > 1on1 play imo).

SF: Prince was undeniably better in all aspects of the game other than outside shooting compared to what we have (He wasn't a shabby shooter either). Nobody on our team could dream of doing this:
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Spi-4_6Ugdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PF: PPat is nice. Scola is nice. Sheed was a force to be reckoned with, to compare them is ridiculous. Sheed had a solid post game (Scola's is comparable), 3 point range (PPat might develop one but I'm not holding my breathe) and was a defensive presence with his interior defense and shot blocking (Scola lol... PPat, you can't teach size...).

C: I love Hayes but to compare him to prime Ben Wallace is ludicrous.

If you were trying to draw parallels with the championship Pistons team to our current rockets in roster structure (no SUPERSTAR) then okay... one could make a weak argument for that case... otherwise... no deal!

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Change all the = signs to < signs. That's why.

19. Defy9

Defy9 Member

Luis Scola = Rasheed Wallace..

[​IMG]

20. spressa

spressa Member

how the freak can you think our team compares to that team. keep in mind that team was almost all allstars.

1)rasheed wallace was better than anyone we have on our team now.

2)ben wallace is multi-year defensive player of the year.

3)tayshaun is a much better wing defender than anyone we have on our team now.

4)chauncey in his prime is a better pg than lowry

5)rip hamilton is a 4 qtr sg that plays both ways vs. the 3qtr sg that kmart is that can't play d.

that's not saying i don't love my rockets and their recent post-all-star-break defensive-mind dedication....but threads like this makes me hate the stupidity of some fans.