1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pipe Bomb Attack on Stem Cell Research Lab

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Oski2005, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If this becomes a trend, cures will definately not be around the corner.

Police Confirm Pipe Bomb Blast at Stem-Cell Lab

BOSTON (Reuters) - An explosion that blew out a number of windows at a Boston-area laboratory specializing in stem-cell research was caused by a pipe bomb, local police said on Friday.

No one was wounded in Thursday's early morning blast at Watertown, Massachusetts-based Amaranth Bio, which says on its Web site its technology is focused on organ regeneration and that it is working on cures for diabetes and liver disorders.

In a statement, Watertown police confirmed the explosion was the result of a pipe bomb and said they believe someone broke into the facility. No arrests have been made, police said.

Local radio station WBZ reported that police had identified a "person of interest" in connection with the explosion. Watertown police were not immediately available for comment on the report.

In addition to local police, the explosion was being investigated by state police and fire officials as well as the FBI (news - web sites) and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms.

An Amaranth Bio official did not return a telephone call seeking comment.

Stem-cell research has become the subject of nationwide debate ahead of the U.S. presidential election in November. President Bush (news - web sites) has banned federal funding for research on new embryonic stem-cell lines but Democratic candidate John Kerry (news - web sites) has said he would rescind the ban.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040827/us_nm/crime_stemcell_dc

2. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Sounds like non-Muslim terrorists to me.

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

As a person with type 1 diabetes, I would just like to say: "**** you, you ****ing *****."

That's all.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have type 1 also. My doctor just gave me a place to go sign up and get on a waiting list for some type of treatment that could come from this research. I would love to think that there is some type of way that my body could start making insulin again. Others may call me selfish because I want that especially to reduce the chances that I will go blind, end up with Kidney failure, heart disease, loss of a leg or two, which are all complications from diabetes.

The thing that gets me, is that these are the same cells from fertility clinics. The right wingers aren't against infertile coupals trying to get pregnanat through invetro, so why the problem with this research which might be able to help a lot of us with type 1 diabetes, and many people with other ailments as well.

I hate that anyone would terrorize people doing this type of research.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Sounds like Muslim terrorists to me, masquerading as hard right Christian nutzos (to throw that Ashcroft crime dog off of the track).

6. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

edit

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

#6 mateo, Aug 27, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  7. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

First off these people are Grade A morons for not fighting for their cause in a proper manner.

I'm just not finding a lot of facts on the whole stem cell debate. It seems as if somatic cells are just as good for research, and embryonic cells from the umbilical cord could also get the job done.

Now, as someone who is very pro-life and recognizes the fertilized egg as a human, I ask some questions. It should also be of note that I'm against birth control and against invitro (I think, although I need to research the issue a bit more) Now say what you will about my stances, thats not really the issue.

Things I have heard. Are there really just thousands of fertilized eggs that are just going to be thrown away anyway out there? This just seems a bit wierd, because companies and couples paid people money to create those. Yet I keep hearing it over and over again. I also ask, who owns these embryos? Are they public or private?

I guess there are three ways of looking at it that I can see.

#1. You do not believe that embyos are humans, and as such, stem cells should be harvested to cure man kinds ills.

#2. You acknowledge the embryo as a human, yet see that these embryos will be thrown away anyway, and therefore, they die a death for a greater cause.

#3. You acknowledge the embryo as a human person, and as such should not be killed in the name of progress.

Now, I gotta tell you, I agree with #3. But I was having thoughts today that if these embryos were just going to be thrown in the dumpster, that a death for a noble cause would be something more honorable. But, its like the rape case in abortion. Why should the embryo die unjustly? SO I have to agree with option 3, because I think every effort should be made to stop the "throwing away" of embryos.

And this is an important question because it defines who we are as humans. It brings up the question of justice, of the natural order, of what it means to be human, warts and all.

Anyway, just looking for some answers to some basic questions. And andy, I'm not really looking to get into the whole an embryo is a lump of flesh debate, I already know you think that and just disagree with you so we can just leave it there civily.

8. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

I hate to repeat myself, but this is no way to go about your cause. Do it within the confines of the law and through the avenues provided in our somewhat free (thanks to that McCain/Feingold monstrosity) society.

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This is more an anti-war song, but it popped into my head when I saw this article. Very much like the rabid christian anti-abortionists who ironically resort to the murder of doctors.

With God on Our Side

Oh my name it is nothin'
    My age it means less
    The country I come from
    Is called the Midwest
    I's taught and brought up there
    The laws to abide
    And that land that I live in
    Has God on its side.

Oh the history books tell it
    They tell it so well
    The cavalries charged
    The Indians fell
    The cavalries charged
    The Indians died
    Oh the country was young
    With God on its side.

Oh the Spanish-American
    War had its day
    And the Civil War too
    Was soon laid away
    And the names of the heroes
    I's made to memorize
    With guns in their hands
    And God on their side.

Oh the First World War, boys
    It closed out its fate
    The reason for fighting
    I never got straight
    But I learned to accept it
    Accept it with pride
    For you don't count the dead
    When God's on your side.

When the Second World War
    Came to an end
    We forgave the Germans
    And we were friends
    Though they murdered six million
    In the ovens they fried
    The Germans now too
    Have God on their side.

I've learned to hate Russians
    All through my whole life
    If another war starts
    It's them we must fight
    To hate them and fear them
    To run and to hide
    And accept it all bravely
    With God on my side.

But now we got weapons
    Of the chemical dust
    If fire them we're forced to
    Then fire them we must
    One push of the button
    And a shot the world wide
    And you never ask questions
    When God's on your side.

In a many dark hour
    I've been thinkin' about this
    That Jesus Christ
    Was betrayed by a kiss
    But I can't think for you
    You'll have to decide
    Whether Judas Iscariot
    Had God on his side.

So now as I'm leavin'
    I'm weary as Hell
    The confusion I'm feelin'
    Ain't no tongue can tell
    The words fill my head
    And fall to the floor
    If God's on our side
    He'll stop the next war.

Bob Dylan

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Eh, people don't need hope anyway.

11. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Damn Christian Fundementalists

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Religious zealots, gotta love em.

DD

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

How so? Muslim terrorists don't blow places up? It sounds like a plain old terrorist to me.

14. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

True Christian Fundamentalists don't blow things up.

That my friend, was a nutball sicko. :mad:

15. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

There are far left liberal wackos that blow-up SUV's and far right Conservative christians who murder abortion doctors and bomb research centers.

I hope the right can understand that they are not being chastised for the action of this person or identified in any way with the religious nut-jobs who are so fond viloence in the name of God.

My point-the right should apply the same aplomb and respect to liberals and moderate Democrats and not scream that we are all "communist lefties and traitorous nut-job wackos" when some small segment is radical in the name of the "left".

Somehow, I don't see Democratic/Leiberal leaders calling out the right for condoning or supporting the activity of these home-grown terrorists. Just a "friendly reminder"...

16. DaDakota

Hey no one said the Muslim faith had a monopoly on all the nut jobs in the world.

Jim Jones, David Koresh..etc...etc....

Christianity has it's fair share, we just don't let them lead the country.

DD

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

were Jim Jones and David Koresh Christians??

Jones I don't know enough about. Koresh claimed to be Christ. not sure that really falls in the pale of orthodoxy! :D

18. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Absolutely correct.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

"According to Abbas, Bush said: 'God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them.'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A37944-2003Jun26?language=printer

God = Cheney? :confused:

20. DaDakota

Abbas??????