1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pink Floyd album to be released in October

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Caddman, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

2. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Meh. Sounds like "Division Bell - Part 2", which is not a good thing. Floyd ended with "Final Cut". "Lapse" had one or two great moments, but was not a good work taken as a whole.

Having said that, I'll still buy it. :grin:

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

from the '94 Division Bell sessions, with some lead and backup vocals reworked later. why would Waters be a part of it?

4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

If Waters isn't a part of it, I'm really not interested. The Wall was where it ended for me. After The Wall, they just fell apart.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I'll get it whether Roger is involved or not but I have a bad feeling that if the album does indeed not have Roger on it, it is just going to be a staid album.

6. across110thstreet

again I ask, why would Roger Waters be involved with this in any way?

it will sound like The Division Bell and Momentary Lapse of Reason.

7. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

He wouldn't, or it would be bigger news.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen him on TV, touring on his own, trying to play Pink Floyd songs with other singers, but putting himself front and center on the stage, trying to be the attraction standing out front playing the bass, which is really sad. He may have written all the material, but he is very replaceable when it comes to actually performing most of it.

He has such a ridiculous ego... when he talks about Syd Barrett he tries to minimize his relevance so as not to have to share the spotlight as the genus of Pink Floyd.

He really needs to get over the fact that the other three guys are absolutely key to the success that he has had in life, and it seems he can't do that.

He needs to be involved with it because he is significantly less relevant on his own than he thinks he is.

There is little chance of Pink Floyd being particularly relevant at this late date, but there is absolutely no chance that Waters will be anything but an awkward unsatisfying nostalgia act performing without Gilmour and the others. It's like Mike Love touring as "The Beach Boys" when he fired Brian Wilson and he is the only one on stage who was actually in the band when they were making hits. Gilmore, Waters, Mason and Wright together make a great band. As individual pieces, they are meh.

#8 Ottomaton, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I'm a little optimistic even if this ends up basically being another Gilmour solo project. His last album was fairly solid. Too bad Rick Wright passed and isn't around for this. Always though he was seriously underrated.

10. across110thstreet

response to Ottamaton- Waters on tour with The Wall earlier this decade was still a sight to behold, and the reunion in 2005 was something special. I'm going to go ahead and state that I disagree with plenty of what you just wrote. (saw The Wall live as well as The Division Bell tour in '94)

I just don't see any reason for him to come in 20 years later and sing or play on tracks that were recorded without him, with a sound and a vibe that is distinctly un-Waters, with Gilmour and Wright's fingerprints all over it.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Really looking forward to the Coldplay collaboration on track 3 and the Rihanna appearance on the final track.

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Riff Raff is featured on at least two tracks from the sources i've heard from about the new album.

13. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

Just wishful thinking on the part of a fan. Sounds like it's going to be some tracks Richard Wright was working on during TDB sessions reworked by Gilmour. Also looks like no tour will happen. I know Gilmour and Waters couldn't coexist on a tour, but surely they could work together on just one song for their fallen friend. Come on guys, throw the fans a bone.

Regardless, it'll probably sell millions.

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Waters basically wrote the majority of the music. Gilmour and Co basically had to hire people to help make "Floyd sounding" songs for Momentary Lapse of Reason.

But yeah, Waters solo work is not very good.

15. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

You are right...for the most part. "Amused to Death" is, IMO, better than both "The Division Bell" and "A Momentary Lapse of Reason". Unfortunately, it is the ONLY good Waters solo album.

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I like "The Division Bell" and "A Momentary Lapse of Reason". I saw both concerts at Texas Stadium and the Astrodome respectively. I guess I'm the only one that likes these albums? I learned an awful lot of guitar licks from both albums. Gilmour's guitar playing is what I like most. Yea...it's not classic Pink Floyd by any stretch of the imagination. But, I enjoy seeing bands evolve and what they make next. Obviously, the evolution would have been quite different if Waters was still in the band but his ego got the best of him. I saw Waters on the "Dark Side of the Moon" tour and that was good as well. Unfortunately, I didn't get to see "The Wall" when he toured. Not sure if that show came to Dallas;I know it went to Houston.

But, I'm looking forward to seeing what this new album is all about.

17. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I think I must be the only floyd fan that liked mlof reason. I'll buy it regardless but being similar to that album isn't a bad thing to me