1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PiggyBack]College Core Classes....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MLittle577, Dec 15, 2007.

1. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

This is a spin-off of the college cheaters thread.....

So.....What do you think about core classes?

College Algebra is just like Algebra II in high school. Spanish I-IV is the same as high school. Two semesters of History is no different. Government is no different. Biology is the same.

So besides to make the university money, and maybe to help an undecided major to decide what they want to do.........wtf are they there for?

2. MexAmercnMoose

i don't know...what i do know is that they are GPA boosters that people studying a real major..(engineering/pre-med) really need..they have definately helped me out

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Accreditation.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Yeah, schools don't make the core requirements. They're just doing what they have to do to be a University and not just a technical school

But yeah, how many times have you taken American History in school. At least elementary school, middle school, high school, and college. The only difference being maybe they tell you a few more true things instead of the BS everybody likes to believe.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Make the best out of it. Boost your GPA or take distance learning at a JUCO. Either way you win.

6. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

What I hated was the troubles in transferring the core classes from college to college (since I transferred around a lot).

I started at Texas Tech and took the required 8 hours of lab science.

I transferred to West Texas State so my then-wife could be closer to her family and WT wouldn't transfer one of my lab sciences, so I had to take another one.

Later on, when I went back to school to get my Advertising degree, UT-Arlington had a rule that said my lab sciences had to be in the same discipline (I had originally taken a course in Physics and one in Geology), and to boot, they would only accept one hour of the 12 hours of lab science I had already taken.

So, I was required to take at least another 7 hours of lab science.

And then when I took the 7 hours, they told me that one of the 7 hours was essentially the same as the one hour they took in transfer so it didn't count (no one bothered to tell me this when I signed up for the class, and the classes didn't have anywhere near the same name or course description).

Thankfully, they gave me a waiver, but I still ended up taking 19 hours of lab science over the course of my two bachelor degrees (BBA in Accounting and a BA in Advertising).

I actually have more hours of lab science than I have in advertising.