1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pierce: How many glue guys do you need?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 23, 2018.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't agree with that at all.

He got that contract because of the spike in the cap the offseason he was a free agent - That same spike in the cap was the only reason GSW was able to fit Durant in under the cap.

Lots of guys got bigger contracts that offseason because teams had extra money to spend and were competing against each to see who would give the worst one.

Plowman and Blurr#7 like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

McGrady's contract was an expiring one ..... which at the time was viewed as an asset to teams creating cap space to sign free agents in the following offseason. It wasn't an albatross at the time just like Ryno's wont be after next season.

Those aren't as valuable now as they were then with the shift in tactics to operating above the cap.

3. jbasket

jbasket Member

Ryno is a trade asset as an expiring the year after next. Meh.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They need another defender for when Iguodala retires, I guess Kawhi will do.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Never thought I'd say it but .... I miss Stern and his "Basketball Reasons." He never woud have approved Durant to GSW.

bballjunkie likes this.
  6. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

Biyombo, Deng, Mozgov, Bazemore, Batum, Whiteside, Noah, Allen Crabbe, Ian Mahinmi, just to name a few contracts that was signed that off season which are as bad as, if not worse than Ryan Anderson's. All those scrubs make more than 16M a year, and can't really play, even for a tanking team.

The only winner that off season is Gold State, who signed KD. That really separated them from all the other NBA teams. The chaos Dwight created in 2016 really cost us a lot, if we could have a decent year, made to the second round and had a intense series with the Warriors, KD may chose us because he was super close to Harden prior to his new chapter, they basically hangout and train together every summer.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Durant wasn't traded to GSW, he signed with them. I don't think the league would be able to block that.

8. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

As they say in the NFL, but really true for all sports: everyone is banged up at this time of year. It's part of the game. You play with who you have available, in whatever state they are available.

If it's really a justifiable excuse...I guess Boston needs to be resent the memo.

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That was more sarcasm than anything else.

But don't all contracts have to be approved by the league office ?! ...... Basketball Reasons.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen Rose hasn't gotten off the a-hole list since he did a cheap and dirty foul and injured Mario Elie. The guy was a first class dick. I don't expect anything from him as a commentator.