1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Phone Battle II] IPhone vs G1 vs Blackberry Curve

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CharlieMurphy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Ripoff of Lady_Di's thread. I would've bumped hers but I'm also looking at getting an IPhone.

What are the pros and cons of each phone? How would getting a data plan work with a family plan? Also, keep in mind that I'm with T-Mobile.

Help me out please! TIA.

2. tigereye

tigereye Member

Well, you might want to hold off.

1. A new & improved iPhone will drop in the summer. Rumors are anywhere from storage bump to camera and screen improvements.

2. T-Mobile G2 (Europe's HTC Dream) will drop over the summer as well. What is known is it will have an iPhone-like design with no physical keyboard and a 5mp camera, as spotted in a recent FCC filing (Electronista.)

3. With all the other competition in the market (iPhone, G1/G2, Pre) RIM will not let Blackberry fall behind. Expect new phones and maybe an improved OS.

Me....I am an iPhone user. Had the Edge when it debuted, now have the 3G. Never had an Apple product before prior to purchasing my iPhones but now I see why there is an Apple Fanboy following. Best phone Ive ever had. Played with the G1 (GF has one) but the lack of multi-touch is what makes the iPhone's user experience better (and simplier) then the G1.

1 person likes this.
  3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

3 best phones on the market, you can't go wrong with either one. Although, the main reason I got the G1 was for the slide-out keyboard, so the G2 isn't as attractive to me.

4. Ari

Ari Member

The G and iPhone emphasize features that are different from what the BB. For me the Curve is the best one from that list. It is simple and straightforward and is more productivity oriented, which is what I need it for.

But I would group the Curve with the other two phones, the new BB touch screen phone from Verizon (I think) is probably a better comparison to those two.

5. Chopped

Chopped Member

the htc touch pro is lacking in this thread.

6. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Same as me, except, I never had an edge iPhone. Using the jailbreak has made it an even more special phone. Now I have a video recorder, camera with better controls, custom themes, system wide copy and paste, landscape SMS typing, 5-row keyboard, access to the file system, NES/Genesis/SNES emulators, and a world of other improvements not available on a stock iPhone (but some are consequently coming to OS 3.0).

The only thing that would make it perfect would be a pullout keyboard option and adobe flash for safari.

1 person likes this.
  7. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

keep in mind you're t-mobile.... so keep in mind that the iphone will not be one of your options

keep in mind if you're getting the internet(data) plan, go with g1, as the curve does not have 3g

tl;dr version
    get the g1

signed,
    bb curve owner

8. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

What about if I get the unlocked iphone?

9. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

i have absolutely no info on that, how will you purchase apps? :confused:

10. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

i have had all 3....i phone hands down

g1 is nice but it is a minor league i phone

curve is so 2007

11. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Well, apps are purchased through iTunes (sign-in and download to your phone or sync with iTunes), so I imagine as long as you have an iTunes account you would be good. Don't quote me on that though.

12. tigereye

tigereye Member

An iPhone IS an option for him. QuickPwn has had the unlock program for 3G released since 1/1/09.

And as for apps, when you unlock, you also get Cydia, which is a third-party app store completely seperate from Apple. There you get apps for themes, the Nes emulator, Cycorder and other apps that MLittle577 mentioned that he had in his post. And theres tons more non-Apple approved goodies available. Its like opening your iPhone to a whole new world....and most of it is for FREE. And the iTunes App & Music Store is also available too.....you'll just need an iTunes account for those.

Important thing though is....no need to rule out the iPhone as an option just because you're with T-Mobile.

13. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I just ordered the 8900 blackberry for t-mobile...will post update after i've played around with it.

14. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

+1 for the G1

have had a for a month now, love it

had the Curve with TMobile, and to be honest you can't go wrong with it either. the new Curve is slick, my sister has it, its basically a small version of the Bold, but as stated, doesn't have 3G

G2 is basically the G1 without the physical keyboard, I for one, prefers a physical keyboard, the multi touch is nothing worth making a decision over. \

I admit, the battery sucks, if your going to use the internet a lot, than just use Edge and only use 3G when needed. I hear they are going to release a newer battery that last longer.

15. fmp087

fmp087 Member

iphone FTW!

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

17. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

18. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

I still haven't gotten a new phone.

Other things to pay first... :(

I wish there was a phone that had the sidekick's physical design but with Iphone capabilities. I hate touch screen phones.

19. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Very simple to root the G1 and enable multitouch and autorotate. Iphone really seems a whole lot smoother in operation, but without a physical keypad, G1 still gets the nod.

G1 is still awaiting some updates, like video player and bluetooth stereo.

20. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

G1 is it IMO. Super easy learning curve from sk to G1.