1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phoenix a Possible Trade Partner?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bsb8532, Nov 22, 2002.

1. bsb8532

bsb8532 Member

As pure speculation some guy on the ESPN boards was asking about whether or not we'd want Penny in a deal involving Cat. Obviously the salaries don't match so someone else would have to be involved, but Phoenix is itching to trade Penny and we're looking for a gaurd that can be more of a distributor.

The biggest factor I can think of in this type of deal is whether or not Penny is actually healthy. When healthy he's a great distributor and playmaker who doesn't need 20 shots to be happy and is at least average defensively. He's not the pure scorer that Mobley is, but he can still score when need be. If I thought Penny would be healthy I think I could go for a deal like this. Another question would be can Franchise live without his buddy? I think this deal would help our team out with the motion offense.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Penny for Cat? Our Cat is worth more than a cent.

No thanks.

#2 rezdawg, Nov 22, 2002
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2002
  3. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

I can see Penny being traded, but only to a team that really needs his talent. The Rockets are not one of them right now. I'd rather wait another year on Cat to see how he changes his game then to gamble on a player with chronic health issues.

4. Nero

Nero Member

Just go back to last year and check Hardaway's stats. He actually
    played most of the games last year, and was statistically better in
    a lot of categories than Mobley. He's a better defender too.

I checked this deal on RealGM over the summer, and it would work
    in a deal involving Rice and Taylor and, I think Cato.. but not Mobley..

People keep forgetting that Mobley and Francis are practically a
    package deal. Not saying it's 100% SF walks if Cat gets dealt, but
    he could sure make things miserable around the team if his best
    buddy got traded away.

Since the team has so much invested in SF, I think Cat is here as
    long as SF is, unless Cat himself decides to walk as a FA.. then SF
    can't really complain.. but then again he likely would complain
    about us not being willing to pay enough to keep him..

*sigh*

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

7 years too late! Sorry not for us!

6. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Well if Franics walks because we trade Mobley then fine let him walk. Mobley needs to be traded he is hurting our team and he realy does not play well with Franics. We don't need a player like that on our team who will walk if his best friend gets traded. I would like to trade Mobley and Thomas for Pau Gasol. Franics is a great palyer and I hope he stays in houston for his whole career but, Mobley needs to go.

7. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

We need a Small Forward badly. I like Mo and Eddie at the 4 but having Kenny playing the three is a joke

8. EgRiFf08

EgRiFf08 Member

How about...Penny and Stoudemire for Cat and KT plus a 1st rounder??

9. tozai

tozai Member

Do we need another PF??? NO. Penny's fading away, he's never going to be the player he was. He'll have his nights, but Cat still can become a better player, and already is a good player who has some bad nights, but is much more consistent.

10. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

And I would like someone to buy me a Porsche but it ain't happening.

Yao, Gasol and Griff on the same frontline would be frightening though!

11. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

The Suns are not stupid, they would never do that trae with Stoudemire. Only way the Rockets would get Stoudemire, is to trade either Francis, Yao, or maybe Griffin.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Francis for Stoudemire? :rolleyes:
    Yao for Stoudemire? :rolleyes:

13. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Yea that is what I said, to the Suns Stoudemire is untradable. He is good enough to be a #1 draft pick if he came out last year with the other High Schoolers. Stoudemire is going to be one of the best out of this years draft.

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I'm telling you guys, it's going to be a damn dark day in Houston if Mobley is traded. We won't get an equal or better player for him, unless other core players are packaged into the deal. A Mobley parting would also demantle the Rocket's chemistry on and off the court. Stevie, Mooch, Eddie, and the rest of the team will be very dissapointed if he is traded. I'm just naming those players because it seems like Cat is better friends with them than other players on the team. But I'm probably wrong.

Rockets Mgmt: DON'T TRADE CUTTINO!!!

Cod

15. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

listen up- the phoenix suns could offer their entire team for yao ming, but it would be like someone offering a ford taurus for a hummer, the hummer would crush the taurus, even if there are 12 taurus's. ya get what im sayin- ming is unstoppable- thats with two p's forget yall im out

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I agree with you on that. I want the Rockets to trade Kenny Thomas because he just does not fit in with griffin and Mo on the roster. How about Kenny Thomas and a 1st rounder for Mike Miller:D

17. blackwidow89

blackwidow89 Member

Uhhm .. pau gasol is very very overrated... he cant rebound. and he cant defend. he can score, but when his jumper isnt falling thats not too good either.. so wats the diff between him and cat. i would keep CAT.

18. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

What is the differnce between Gasol and Cat? Well Gasol makes more intelligent moves on the court and plays team ball. He rebounds good not great, but he can play SF, PF, or C, so he would get alot of minutes backing people up if he did not start at SF. He passes great for a big man, and he would only strengthen out inside-out game we been running now with Yao. His defense if good, and he is a great shot blocker on par with Griffin. With Yao, Griffin and Gasol on the court it would be allmost imposible to take it to the hoop with out getting your shot blocked. So imo, Gasol would fit in great and is alot better than Cat.

19. Grydian

Grydian Member

If we traded Cat for Gasol who do we use at the 2? the only way we would trade Cat and others for someone is for a guard to replace Cat who is better then Cat. Not many guards fall into that catagory... Penny is borderline cause of age and injuries but at both primes I would say Penny could be better. Penny might have more talent but Penny is probably getting over the hill a little. As a general rule I don't like to see a trade where u lose youth. Don't kill the future for now... So for us to trade Cat an east team would have to want Cato and Cat for some reason for them to give up their better SG.... its not going to happen. lets just hope Cat learns to pass more.. at least he can score.

20. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Who would play the SG you say? Easy, HAWKINS! He played great yesterday as a SG and don't forget Boki.