1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phillies @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Pitching Probables:

8-23 -- Cory Lidle (7-11, 5.55) vs. Roger Clemens (12- 4, 2.94) 7:05 on FSSW

8-24 -- Brett Myers (7-9, 5.50) vs. Carlos Hernandez (0-1, 8.10) 7:05 on FSSW

8-25 -- Eric Milton (13-2, 4.71) vs. Pete Munro (2-5, 4.79) 1:05 no TV

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

3. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

LLL

Roger can't save us every game. Hernandez just plain sucks, and well just look at Milton's record. The only thing that has me wondering is how Milton has such a great record with that ERA. I guess he's the Jeriome Robertson of this year.

Pugs

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

5. red

red Contributing Member

WWWWWWWWWWW...

an astors win and no one cares...

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Good game tonight by our guys. I am glad we won, but I really wish things didn't turn out so horrible yesterday. I really wanted to win the last series.....

Anyways, good game. Biggio went something like 3-4 and got his 2600th hit, IIRC.

Well, we need to sweep the Phils. Pete Munro stunk it up last week when I attended one of the games. Hope he can fair better against Milton than others.....err wait. I hope he can atleast pitch well.

Beltran joined the 30/30 club tonight also with his 3 run HR.

Go Stros!

7. Uprising

There certainly aren't many posts in the Astros' game thread.

Well, here's to another W. Time to sweep the Phils and gain some ground on the WC leaders.

The up coming series against he cubbies should be better for us, since Beltran really tore it up last time he was in Wrigley. IIRC it was his first series as an Astro.

Beltran is hitting something like .317 on the road and .170 in MMP.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I wonder why that is exactly? ;)

Our chances of staging some sort of comeback are equivalent to the percentage of Astros fans still holding out hope. I think that is: 1.45243% .

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Man... MMP giveth, MMP taketh away.

Hernandez gets Polanco to pop up in foul territory, but the ball hits the roof and is declared dead.

Then, next pitch... a HR to the crawford boxes.

And... another Worrelism. "That pitch had nothing on it... there it is at 91mph." Bill... not everybody can throw 95+... and the fact that Carlos even got it that high is something special.

He probably meant it was "straight" but still...

10. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

IF CLEMENS COMES BACK NEXT YR I THINK OUR PITCHING STAFF WOULD BE SOLID!

Oswalt
    Clemens
    Pettittes
    Miller
    Carlos H.

ALL 5 could win 10+
    No more worrying about our 4th -5th starter like this yr .. REDDING/MUNRO/DUCKWORTH

11. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I still miss Ron Villone.

He wasn't the best, but damn it, he worked hard.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

well, if one of those guys goes down to injury (like this year)... who's gonna be called up next?

Redding, Munro or Duckworth... thats who.

Or, if Buckholz has a decent spring (he's made improvements from his horrid AAA start)... he could be the #1 option to come up next.

13. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

14. Uprising

Well, a nice win tonight. I like the come from behind wins. Too bad it all is happening too late.

There is still a chance. The Astros must keep up their current pace (winning 7 of 9) and MUST win the upcoming series against the Cubs. It's a slim slim chance.

15. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

They have such a hard time against the cubs, 2 out of 3 would be nice. I was pretty happy with Carlos, and I think we found our set up man with Oswalt. :D

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Funny you say that about Oswalt... there was talk about him becoming a future closer/setup man when a.) his shoulder wasn't feeling right when he was in the minors (a subsequent shock from his car battery helped clear some bone spurs or something.. a wacky story.) and b.) when his groin wasn't healing last year, there was a thought that since the injury seemed chronic, he'd eventually end up in the bullpen.

Carlos is progressing along nicely... I heard a comment that the shoulder is still gaining strength, and by next year's spring training... it should be right about back to where it was 3 years ago. (but this time, he would have had the knowledge of learning how to "pitch" with sub-par stuff... something that most power pitchers never learn how to do.)

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Tim Redding will not be an Astro (or a Zephyr or an Expressite(?) next season. There are others that are in AA right now that might be able to contribute next season. Jared Gothreaux, Houlton, Ezequiel Astacio, among others. Buckholz should be close to ready.

#17 leroy, Aug 25, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You're probably right... although Redding (ironically) just had his best outing of the year last night at AAA.

8 innings pitched... 2 hits... 10 K's.

If he can somehow get his head straight, he could be a decent BULLPEN pitcher... but I've lost all hope for him being a starter as good as Roy or Wade.

Astacio should be the club's #1 pitching prospect right now... and he won't be too far away from making the big-league club. Hell... he'll probably get a start here or there in September when the rosters expand.. just to see what he can do.

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I wish we could play Philly the entire month of September. Another SWEEP.

20. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Did I hear this wrong, but on this weekends broadcast I thought I heard that Redding gave up 11 runs in one of his starts with the Zephers, am I wrong?