1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pharmacist refused to fill prescription for moral reasons

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wnes, May 26, 2005.

1. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

The story below happened in Wisconsin. I also caught a glimpse of Anderson Cooper 360 on CNN last night about a similar incident down in Louisiana.

There is a long running debate on abortion here in D&D, in which I have never participated. Just like my stance on capital punishment, I am ambivalent on abortion - I think it should be carried out rarely and with careful discretion.

However this pharmacist/moralist thing just bugs me. It shows how religious fundamentalism has gotten overboard in this country. It also poses an intriguing question, what should one do when one's ethics (in this case a pharmacist's professional duty) is in conflict with one's moral belief?

Milwaukee woman says pharmacist refused to fill prescription
    link
    Associated Press

MILWAUKEE - A mother of six claims a pharmacist refused to fill her prescription for an emergency contraceptive and berated her as a baby-killer, leaving her so traumatized she didn't seek out another pharmacist and ended up having an abortion.

"The pharmacist crossed the line," said Tricia Knight, the attorney for the woman. "It's one thing to conscientiously object. But you cannot intend to inflict emotional harm on a woman when she is making a very important and often very emotional decision in her life."

The state Department of Regulation and Licensing, which regulates pharmacists and other professionals, opened an investigation into the pharmacist's actions after learning of the incident through news reports last week, said agency spokesman Chris Klein.

Knight said the Milwaukee woman, who is being identified only as Jane Doe, obtained a prescription for the emergency contraceptive in January after a condom broke during sex and she was concerned she might become pregnant. The contraceptive interferes with conception rather than causing an abortion.

She took it to a Walgreen pharmacy, but the pharmacist refused to fill it and berated her within earshot of other customers, Knight said. The customer asked the manager to help her but was told pharmacists make the decisions on such things, she said.

Michael Polson, a spokesman for Walgreen, said the pharmacist's last day of employment was May 3, but he declined to say whether she resigned or was fired. He said the pharmacist had no memory of the incident as described by Knight.

Polson said company policy allows pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions for moral reasons, but they may not discuss their reasons with the customer. They also must notify a manager, who arranges for the prescription to be filled elsewhere, he said.

Last month, the state Pharmacy Examining Board reprimanded a pharmacist who worked at a Kmart pharmacy in Menomonie for refusing to fill a college student's birth control prescription or refer her to another pharmacist, citing religious beliefs.

#1 wnes, May 26, 2005
    Last edited: May 26, 2005
  2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

He should lose his license and have the crap beaten out of him...in front of the same people who he yelled at her in front of. Maybe then he will learn to mind his own business and keep his beliefs to himself and his own family.

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Minor detail but it was a female pharmacist. Regardless of gender, it was a stupid move.

4. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

There is one side to every story.
    Get the rope.

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

LOL you are one heck of a consistently extreme fellow.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

1. if he can't do the job he should be fired;

2. treating anyone as he allegedly treated this woman is horrible.

7. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I am open to your/other side of the story.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the article indicates there is an other side to the story...not sure what that is.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Does anyone else think that there may be more to this story?

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

That's nothing. My pharmacist is a Christian Scientist.

11. NJRocket

was she hot?

j/k....my bad....still beat her silly

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Seems the pharmacy has addressed how to accomodate a pharmacists beleifs. Policy is too generous in my opinion, but regardless....she didn't even adhere to it!

So she's gone. Good for Walgreen.

13. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Do you have a problem if she (the alleged pharmacist is female!) gets hired in another pharmacy store - just like alleged child-abusing catholic priests get reassigned to other churches?

14. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Not really. These things have happened before. People will do what they will. And the pharmacist is no longer employed there. Sounds like she overstepped her role. And was repremanded.

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Walgreen's policy is more than generous. Why does she feel she have to force her morale on someone else and get fired in the process?

16. NJRocket

She should lose her pharmacist licsense...period. I am pretty shocked that Walgreens has that policy that basically allows their pharmacists to play God.

17. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Nope. She didn't molest little boys here. She showed terrible judgement. And if she recognizes that, and agrees to the new pharmacy rules, she shouldn't be precluded from earning a living.

Perhaps the college of pharmacists should discipline her..

18. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Agree, she did not injure or damage anyone. She showed bad judgement and was fired, which is enough. Hopefully she learned her lesson and become more tolerate of other people's views in the future.

19. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I agree as well. While she hurt that womans feelings and embarrassed her, I dont think it is on the same level as child molestation. She worked too hard and too long to have her entire career taken away from her for one really stupid mistake. Everyone makes mistakes, even really bad ones.

20. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Sounds very wrong in the news report.
    I sure wouldn't want to be treated that way.

There are some key words in the story-

1. The lawyer filing the lawsuit for the affected party is quoted- now I am no lawyer but if I was filing a lawsuit against Walgreens...

2. The words Ms. Knight used were 'refused to fill' and 'berated her within earshot' , 'intended to inflict emotional harm' (that is the language I would think one would use if you are filing a lawsuit for being traumatized)

I would say that as described that was a very bad thing for the pharmacist to do.

I also realize in the trial it may come out that witnesses heard the pharmacist- 'decine to fill the perscription for reasons of personal belief' and ' try to explain her reasons after the customer got angry with her'

I am not defending the alleged bad actions.

I just think reactions like this- "He should lose his license and have the crap beaten out of him...in front of the same people who he yelled at her in front of. Maybe then he will learn to mind his own business and keep his beliefs to himself and his own family."

reveal how some people feel about someone expressing their beliefs. As if it can't be done in a respectful way.