1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFT: Matt Schaub is Raiders’ top quarterback target, Mark Sanchez next

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Mar 16, 2014.

1. htown1984

htown1984 Member

What about for the raiders? What do they pay him

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

they pay him the cash.... it hits the texans cap.

pretty much the same as releasing him i guess.

maybe they can weasel out a 6th round pick for him, lol

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't understand the "why" when it comes to the minutia of the salary cap, but he'd cost 10 mil against the Texans cap and 14 mil against the Raiders cap. I could be wrong about what he'd cost the Raiders though.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Hey Uncle Bob, I bet you felt pretty powerful mocking the fans when you extended Kubiak and Schaub….yeah, in your face stupid fans…. this is my team!!!! Yes it is.. Yes it is. Cool contracts, how do you like them now?

In essence, there is no "easy out" for the Texans regarding Schaub. And Uncle Bob wouldn't have it any other way or would he?

1 person likes this.
  5. htown1984

htown1984 Member

I would think he would restructure with raiders just like revis did with bucs

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt it, they have tons of cap room and his contract is non-guaranteed, they could see what he has for a year then cut him without penalty.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

For a successful billionaire businessman he sure makes a lot of terrible business decisions when it comes to the Texans. Our lack of success as a franchise is largely due to McNair's poor judgement. He stuck with Capers and Casserly too long. He extended Carr when he shouldn't have. He extended Schaub when he shouldn't have. Stuck with Kubiak too long. And of course, there's the Rick Smith situation.

1 person likes this.
  8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Copy that. I just don't understand how someone who made millions in business could be so "brick headed" in another venue. He can't follow just one simple rule. Don't reward mediocrity! Just don't do it. And to throw in a second simple rule, don't give ridiculous contracts to players who have a history of season ending injuries.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe, but am not sure, that if the Texans trade him after June 1, then the cap hit is the same as if he is released after June 1, or is made a June 1 designee cut before June 1.

In that instance, only a fraction of the salary cap hit occurs this upcoming year, with the majority occurring the year after.

June 1 is also a deadline with regard to his potential release. If they want to release him and take the full cap hit this year, they need to do it before June 1. Otherwise, the rule is that it gets spread out over 2 years, with most of it coming in the second year.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

http://articles.courant.com/1995-08...ucky-richardson-patriots-uniform-cody-carlson

The first thing Richardson had to do when he joined the Patriots was cut his emotional ties to quarterback.

``It was tough at first,'' Richardson said. ``You go into a bit of a shock. But football is football.''

Patriots coach Bill Parcells envisions using Richardson in many roles -- receiver, runner, blocker and special teams. He also is insurance if anything happens to quarterbacks Drew Bledsoe, Scott Zolak or Jay Walker.

In his first game for the Patriots, in the 21-14 exhibition victory over the Minnesota Vikings Saturday, Richardson played fullback and played on punt and kickoff coverage. He caught a 6-yard pass and recovered a teammate's fumble on a punt return.

Parcells compared the Richardson fullback experiment to what the Miami Dolphins did with former Boston University quarterback Jim Jensen, who was converted into a wide receiver and running back for the Dolphins.

``He's pretty tough,'' Parcells said of Richardson. ``He isn't your average quarterback.''

11. Fantasma Negro

That's an insult to pe coaches and gym teachers everywhere

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Not 2015, just 2014. Same as if we'd cut him. That's just the way the NFL rules are.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure this is the case, at least in terms of how it would affect the Raiders cap. In 2014, apparently the cap hit remains with the Texans, but the money is paid by the Raiders. In 2015, I think the cap ramifications move to the Raiders... and cutting Schaub means 7 million in dead money on their cap. Barring a miraculous 2014, I don't think there's a single team in the NFL who thinks he's worth the 17 million he's due in 2015. There must be some kind of restructure in play here. Not sure who initiated the restructure-and-trade proposal, Schaub or the Texans, but the important thing is the ball is rolling in the right direction.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Wasn't really a collective failure. He single-handedly lost multiple games for them.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bro I agree he lost some games for us, but if you don't think the lack of a decent o-line (Rick Smith's fault), and terrible game planning and play-calling (Gary Kubiak's fault) didn't contribute to Schaub's failure...

There were a lot of things that went wrong. Brice McCain also single-handedly lost games for us. It truly was a collective failure and putting it all on Schaub; I. Think it's an over-simplification.

1 person likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's short sighted. Having one of the worst red zone defenses in the NFL along with a weak run game and absolutely no pass rush without blitzing had much more to do with losing games than any one player, including Schaub. You can point to the feather that broke the camel's back as the problem or you can point to the 2 tons of gear piled up on him. The Texans were built to win with defense and the run game, they didn't have either last year.

1 person likes this.
  17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

You shouldnt make fun of diseases like that...Buttfumble and Captain Pick 6's are serious medical conditions that have debilitating effects.

1 person likes this.
  18. Raven

Raven Member

Maybe the Texans get a player back and not a pick?

19. Raven

Raven Member

And maybe the Raiders and Texans are swapping QBs named Matt?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'd do that. It would probably be a downgrade at QB, but it would appease the stupid fanbase and it would give us someone to take the lumps while a rookie was prepped.