1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFT: Matt Schaub is Raiders’ top quarterback target, Mark Sanchez next

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well first of all, by the time Andre Johnson is done, Harrison will have been in the HOF for several years so there's really no reason to compare them, however, if you chose to, you'd see 3 really dominant years by Harrison with arguably the best QB to ever play the game and then several more solid seasons so he has a pretty solid resume.....which is why he was a HOF finalist in his very first year of eligibility. As to Johnson, he already has more dominant seasons while relying on fairly weak QB's for his entire career (so far) so yeah, I'd argue Johnson is the better candidate and certainly will be by the time he's done.

I didn't randomly select anything to favor Johnson, in the history of the NFL, there has been 91 total seasons by a WR averaging over 90 yards per game, in my opinion, and several others that I've seen in the past, that's pretty much the cutoff for what can be deemed a "dominant season" by a WR and it's really hard to argue that point.

I count exactly zero.

Quite the contrary, the fact that he missed time and still finished in the top 3 in receiving yards is a lot more impressive than someone who just didn't get hurt for the better part of 16 years and was decent enough to compile a high number.

Absolutely, in something that doesn't matter, he's awesome. He's the king of the 2 yard reception. Pierre Garcon had the most receptions last year...I'm sure that'll be on his HOF resume....

Again, another stat that's largely irrelevant, when James Jones led the NFL with 14 TD receptions, did anyone think he was a better WR than Calvin Johnson despite the fact that his 14 TD receptions OBLITERATED Megatron's 5?

Again, in a category that doesn't really matter, Andre Rison had 4 consecutive double digit TD seasons....and the only way he got into the HOF was by starting his own.

I'm sure you think that's "convenient" but it's not something that HOF voters have payed attention to...so why should I?

Well I think you are the one working pretty hard to try and dismiss Andre Johnson's HOF credentials by bringing up categories that HOF voters have ignored when making their decision in the past. They've never really cared about TD's or "wins" before, why would they now?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Schaub emerges from hiding to take in one last rodeo :-(

[​IMG]

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Damn are those the best seats he could get???

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, I was thinking the same. I used to get free seats all the time and they were never that bad.

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Those are club level I believe.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess that's not really that bad, but being closer is much better and it's not like he can't afford it.

7. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Depression beard.

Nosebleeds.

Nachos.

Florida Georgia Line.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That’s fine, and I don’t disagree. Your mistake is assuming that your *opinion,* however valid, is so unassailable that it’s the only possible opinion anyone else can have. Do you honestly think voters will be as invested in Andre Johnson’s candidacy as you very obviously are? He does not, without in-depth analysis, stand out any more than a lot of other viably worthy candidates, a group that is only going to grow in the next 5-10 years.

Yeah, Btg, you’re randomly selecting a lot; namely, that yards, and seemingly nothing else, is the defining characteristic of a truly dominant WR. Again, you’re oblivious to how convenient that is, and you're assuming it’s the same standard everyone else uses, which may be the case - but would be fairly difficult to quantify.

Here’s how easy it is to create standards out of thin air: Carter is one of only two WRs in the history of football to post two 120+-catch seasons. He’s one of only 10 receivers in NFL history to record at least 17 TDs in a single season. Etc., etc.

Again, your definition of “dominant” is not necessarily the universal definition of dominant, especially given how narrow yours is (dominant = yards). And I think you’d be hard-pressed to convince somebody that 122 catches and 17 TDs in a single-season isn’t “dominant.”

So you’re just going to assume a guy who has consistently missed time will no longer miss time and achieve a milestone that’s at least two seasons away? (And further assume Reggie Wayne, who’s about 500 yards ahead of him, doesn’t beat him to it and raise the standard?) Again, that seems awfully convenient.

Catching passes don’t matter when discussing WRs? Oh, boy… And Pierre Garcon is the very definition of a straw dog; he doesn’t have a HoF resume, Btg, and thus has no relevancy to this discussion.

Again, you’re much too hung up on yards. I don’t believe Wes Welker is a dominant WR – but he’s a valuable WR because he catches everything and moves the chains. Carter did as well.

You’re not very good at this, are you? Currently, Cris Carter’s career numbers are better than Andre Johnson’s career numbers; thus, directly pitting their individual achievements against one another has merit and makes sense. Randomly pulling not HoF-worthy James Jones out of ether, and then comparing his one statistical anomaly to another unrelated (but vastly superior) receiver, has zero merit and makes no sense. I know you think you scored here… but you really and truly didn’t. Sorry.

They don’t? That’s news to the Hall of Fame. Among the top eleven career leaders in TD receptions (I dismissed the six who are not yet HoF eligible), eight are in and a ninth (Harrison) will be in (according to you). Career yards? Of the top 12 (eliminating five that are ineligible – so as you can see, I took the top 17 in each category), 6 are in (seven if we count Harrison).

The percentages (when including Harrison) work out to 81% of the top career TD reception leaders; 58% of the top career yardage leaders. So, yeah, it looks like TDs do sorta, kinda matter, Btg.

They don’t care about wins, either? Really? Let’s ask Lynn Swann, who ranks 206th all-time in yards, how he got into the Hall of Fame. Or his teammate, John Stallworth (67th). Michael Irvin is 23rd all-time… gosh, I wonder what got him over the hump? They elected Joe Namath for a *single*win, for heaven’s sake. So please, please, please don’t tell me that Pro Football Hall of Fame voters don’t care about wins. They most assuredly do.

Not as a be-all, end-all stat, mind you – but in terms of trying to wade through a crowded field of eligible candidates? Wins will resonate, if for no other reason than wins get you greater exposure. I don’t think Larry Fitzgerald is an appreciably better candidate than Andre Johnson – but his dominant playoff run a few years ago will absolutely be a factor. Every one of the voters didn’t just see it; they covered it. I doubt too many of them were in the stands when AJ went 14/273 against the Jags a few years ago.

#208 Hey Now!, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

YEAH, WHAT A ****ING LOSER, AMIRITE?!?!?! :rolleyes: