1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFT: Keenum could leapfrog Yates (maybe eventually Schaub)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Aug 10, 2013.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He also had the 2nd string offensive which includes Hopkins

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

QB Rating vs Minnesota

Yates: 99.5
    Keenum: 109.7

Not sure what rating you're referring to.

#82 Cannonball, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Of course Solomon penned that article lol. Wait, popular opinion growing for Keenan? Time to write my article against hi getting the job!

The whole "it's a huge risk" to have backup with one less year of experience is ridiculous. Additionally, it isn't like Yates was some world beater when he played in Schaub's place.

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

If Keenum outplays TJ over the course of the preseason, then he deserves to be #2 period.

6. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Good thing it won't be hard to resign any of them since we'll pay Watt $300 million :D

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I agree, this is really a low risk manuever and Yates' ceiling is not that high. If Keenum turns out to be another Yates then you lose nothing. If he sucks, then he's just a second stringer it won't be a season-ender.

Its like all those idiots that criticized the 49ers for starting Cap in lieu of Alex Smith. Really... Alex Smith? Its all about potential ceiling.

8. Raven

Raven Member

Any news on how Kubiak will split time with Schaub, Yates, and Keenum for tonight's game?

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

No word but im guessing depending on snaps Schaub gets something between a quarter and a half and then keenum and yates split the rest of the game. Maybe next week Schaub first half and a quarter each for the other guys

10. Cannonball

I think I heard Schaub and the first unit will get 20 snaps or so. Keenum will be the first QB off the bench.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Keenum just wins.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

13. MystikArkitect

Case looking better than Yates...the whole "but he went undrafted" argument is moot, especially because we have a walking, breathing counterargument with a #23 on his chest. Kubiak faces a tough decision, he can upgrade Keenum to #2 and risk the locals clamoring for him when Schaub struggles. He can send him to the practice squad where he will most assuredly be signed by a team desperate for a QB jolt (I'm sure other scouts have noticed Keenum's improvement at this point). Should Keenum succeed with another team, Kubiak will hear about it to no end there either.

Guess he could delegate him to #3, where he can argue he's behind Yates so the fans don't scream his name all the while he doesn't cause him trouble by playing well for another team.

14. Cannonball

I feel almost certain that the Texans will carry 3 QBs this year regardless if Keenum takes over the backup spot or not.

15. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I don't think anybody will be screaming for Case over Schaub, any more than Yates over Schaub the past year or so. Case is not Tebow, and Houston is not NY.

I wouldn't be surprise to see him have 3QBs on the roster though, since he's done that in the past.

16. SevenMinuteAbs

You can't wait and wish on a future draft pick to pan out.

Last year did you think Kaepernick or Wilson had the tools to be impact qbs? Did you think they would lead their teams to deep playoff runs? Did you even think they would start?

I'm not saying Keenum is the next Tom Brady, I'm just saying if he's done enough to be the backup, obviously he's doing something right in practice and Kubs is taking notice. He's not gonna put him in that role just to please fans.

i'm just saying we need to work with what we have because acquiring a star qb through the draft is not guaranteed.

and to whoever thinks tebow can/should be a starter in this league, leave, please.

17. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Case looks so confident out there and he really moves the ball. I think he should be the #2 QB.

18. Raven

Raven Member

Yates hasn't looked too shabby either.

Keep both!

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Case has a little Breezy in him. Just maybe.....

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think you really need to keep 3 QB's this year. Both Yates and Keenum playing well.

If Schaub goes down, you have two guys that you could plug in and feel comfortable with. It would keep the Texans from going out and having to bring in a QB that doesn't know the offense.

I don't want to try and stash Keenum on the practice squad only to have him snatched up. If by chance Keenum is your #2 and he falters, you still have Yates.

I won't be happy if Schaub goes down, but this year unlike the past, I actually wouldn't feel terrible about the Texans chances of winning with either Yates or Keenum playing when it matters most. Makes too much sense to keep all three IMO.