1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFT: Keenum could leapfrog Yates (maybe eventually Schaub)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Aug 10, 2013.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think TJ's game is getting a little unfairly maligned by those folk that really want Case to succeed. Case looked good, but he didn't take a lot of chances downfield (which is a good thing if that was all covered by the defense). TJ had a few balls batted down at the line of scrimmage...maybe you put those on him as well (staring down the receiver) but I'm sure with Case being a bit shorter than TJ he would have had the same problem.

Ultimately to me the biggest difference was a large chunk of yards (and only TD) for TJ came on that outstanding play by Hopkins. He put the ball where it needed to be, but Deandre did all the real work there.

I guess I'm kind of with Kubiak right now (or at least what Kubiak has said publicly)...Case has looked good, but I don't feel Yates has looked bad or even worse than Case, really. So I would like to see Case with the 1st and 2nd teamers as well to see if there is a significant difference there. Next week should go a long way to telling us where each guy is.

2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Both are garbage... Need to groom a better backup QB.

I expect that we pick one in this years draft.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Our future starting QB hasn't been drafted yet.

Keenum will be our reliable backup for years to come. Yates is a goner.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

This year's draft was 4 months ago.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Fascinating analysis.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not a whole bunch of teams out there that have backups (that are also paid like backups) that are markedly better than what we have.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

As good as I think Case looked, I do believe that Yates is getting unfairly judged too. Other than that first drive where TJ missed a couple easy targets, he was pretty solid the rest of the time.

Pro football Focus rated TJ as having the better game over Case...so although I'm sure many of us had biased opinions bc most want Case to be leap frogging Yates, that's not necessarily what took place on Friday night.

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Case just wins!

I worship the ground he walks on.

Can't wait for jff the great. And the case, the great.

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I saw the game in Miami and the objective eyeballs next to me were like this guy is better than Schaub and since he played at UH nobody knew who he was or that he was a fan favorite.

10. jbasket

jbasket Member

Link?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

This?

Quarterbacks Impress

I imagine most people will talk up the performance of DeAndre Hopkins, and that catch for a touchdown was certainly a nice play, but in truth I thought he was fairly average aside from that and I was far more impressed by the outings of Matt Schaub’s two backups: T.J. Yates (+3.5) and Case Keenum (+2.8). Both players executed the offense well and moved the ball efficiently against the Minnesota backups. They were obviously helped immeasurably by the backup Vikings linebackers being unable to diagnose the bootleg passes they were running without the help of a map and compass, but nonetheless they both made good decisions and didn’t put the ball in peril, which is pretty much the name of the game within that Houston offense.

With just a couple of games left to go up on the site at time of writing T.J. Yates currently sits atop the pre-season QB grades.

PFF Game Ball

I’m going to split the game ball between the two Texans backup quarterbacks. Both T.J. Yates and Case Keenum showed impressively with very little to complain about in an encouraging outing for Houston.

2 people like this.
  12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Tebow was a free agent. He signed with the Pats for the minimum with no guaranteed money. The Jags or Raiders could've easily signed him if they wanted him and they couldn't have paid him any less than what the Pats are. Fact is that NOBODY wanted him. Not as a starter. Not as a backup. NE was the only one willing to even give him a shot as a 3rd QB/utility player. And they can cut him at anytime without creating any dead money.

If Tebow gets cut, there's a fairly good possibility nobody bothers to pick him up. He was already a FA with only one taker. If the Texans try to put Case back on the practice squad, he's almost assuredly being claimed by another team.

13. conquistador#11

i love pro football focus but I can't believe they rated minny's rookie receiver higher than ours based on the 50 yard kickoff return. that's all on our crappy special teams coverage. that catch by Hopkins was worth a +2.3 by itself. :grin:

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

J.R. did my dirty work, thanks. Repped.

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

You know what I meant.

It's going to be loaded with quality QB's, one of which we might be able to groom into the future of this franchise.

Neither Yates or Keenum posses the physical tools to become an impact QB in this league, especially with the way the NFL is heading at. I understand some of you have the homer glasses and would love for Keenum to succeed, but I'm a realist, and I just don't see it.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

True, but look who's running both the Jags and the Raiders at the time.

One team is praying that their first round top 10 QB will eventually pan out to be worth a damn.

While the other team has muddled around the mediocrity pool with the likes of: Carson Palmer, Bruce Gradkowski, Jason Campbell, Kyle Boller, Jamarcus Russell, and most recently Matt Flynn/Terrell "freaking" Pryor. :rolleyes:

You're right both decided to go different routes in means of finding a suitable QB replacement, but that doesn't exactly mean they'll pan out. And if they went with Tebow the same can be said. Fact is Tebow has the better track record of all the QBs being considered for each of those teams.

Honestly I believe if it weren't for the media circus that follows having a guy like Tebow around he would probably be somewhere else starting in the league. The Patriots have proven they can handle these types of characters in their locker room.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Should we start a list of QBs that looked great in preseason and training camp that never made it in the league?

18. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

tj had a better rating against second string comp.

19. SSP365

SSP365 Member

the fact that theres even a competition vs yates and keenum despite the fact that yates has been here for 3 years tells you all you need to know:

Keenum > Yates

I think Keenum is already better than matt schaub but since kubiak would sacrifice his own mother before going against his back up qb clone, we will never know.

Keenum will get screwed over and placed on practice so there would be no pressure on schaub or kubiak this season to make changes when schaub's eventual struggle comes.

So when schaub stinks up the joint again, and you know he will, yates being the alternative will give schaub the job security he needs.

20. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Keenum will be the backup and Schaub at some point will probably get hurt since usually starting NFL quarterbacks not named Manning do not stay clean two years in a row