1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFT: Keenum could leapfrog Yates (maybe eventually Schaub)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Progs

Progs Member

Next year's draft I can see Texans drafting first 3 rounds:

1st: RT
    2nd: Mlb
    3rd: QB

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Too much excitement based off of one preseason game.

Case Keenum lacks arm strength. In the CUSA Championship game he, foolishly, tried a back shoulder pass on the 2 yard line. The result?

Well, I'll let the Case fanboys explain that.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I don't care who the QB is as long as he can play. I love Matt as much as the next guy but everytime he was on the front page of ESPN with a chance to prove himself on the national stage, he played horribly. I'm not saying he choked. It just might not be as good as we hoped.

I don't know but I'm worried we took a step back this last year. Although, getting Brian Cushing back in the middle is as good as any free agent signing we could make. None of that really matters though if we have no protection down the field with the Safeties.

4. AXG

AXG Member

That's what I've been saying since the Texans signed him! Well, not really, but I'm happy for Keenum.

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Exactly.

Some highlights for the unaware:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J0Qqc0z6tnE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AaltTgbUxV0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mX5Ji77NMQY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

If we're gonna boost up 1 game wonder backups like Kirk Cousins, we might as well overrate our own backups in Yates and Keenum. I know the QB pool is VERY small to choose from and you have to bet on backups with upside, but Cousins hasnt done enough to make THAT kind of investment yet.

-
    Pryor can be BETTER than Cam Newton? There's so much confidence in him there that they brought in another 1 game wonder in Matt Flynn to be the starter.

7. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

If we have to wait and make him prove he is not a "system" quarterback than I think it's also fair to not cherry pick mistakes where he was trying to force plays with a defense he knew was terrible.

He wouldn't force the issue having Watt and that defense on his side

8. MystikArkitect

Case looked more comfortable in the offense than Yates did, regardless of who his opposition was. Still only one game though. We'll know all we need to know by the end of preseason.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

One things for sure... It would be hard to find anybody else in the NFL that's better at working with, developing, and assessing the quarterback position than Kubiak.

He's THE QB guru (provided the QB isn't damaged goods with zero work ethic like David Carr). I highly doubt we ever spend a really top pick on a QB due to the development system.

10. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

The ball was in the air for 40 yards on the first video, from 30 yards to 30 yards. The ball was in the air for 55 yards on the second video, from 30 yards to 15 yards.

On both the first video and second video, Keenum hit his receivers in stride. Especially for the second video, the defender actually had pretty good position. But Keenum's 55 yards strike was so good that his receiver didn't have to break stride.

Ya, I take 40 or 50 yarder with great accuracy.

Keenum was impressive.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Very early. Need to see him against starters. But what I like is the ability to make quick decisions and reads. This will be harder against the starters for sure. but I think his system training at UH will actually pay dividends in the NFL. When you throw that much, you just get better with repetition. And he dramatically cut down his INT in his senior season. So he grew. His arm strength should be fine from what I've seen. The key in my opinion is not letting him sit. The longer he sits the less active that arm gets. And I think the key for him is to maintain what he was doing at UH. And not get away from that by getting stale at the NFL level.

12. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Thought Yates was just as impressive as Keenum against better competition. That fade pass too Hopkins in the end zone was a perfect throw.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Keenum>>> Tebow. I have high hopes for my fellow Cougar Alumni

14. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

That's not exactly saying much. Tebow can't find a job as a starter in the NFL.

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Nah Yates looked he hasn't progressed since his rookie season. There is a reason why Kubiak is talking about getting Keenum in there first before Yates next game.

16. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Ha, ha nobody catches that ball but Hopkins. That's been Yates biggest problem, he can't deliver consistently with accuracy. So while he makes completions, he rarely puts the ball in his spot where it's easy to do something with it after they catch it.

Keenum on the other hand seems to have great accuracy and a sense of where the ball needs to be placed. He absolutely had to have first game jitters and he still only through 1 bad pass. That's the scary thing... he isn't even close to having enough action to be sharp. Givehim a lot more reps in the preseason and put him in early in blowouts and he will be ready to take over should Shaub get injured.

17. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Agreed... Plus Case has the little things extra like head movement that is so underrated...he doesn't stare at his intended receiver all the way. Looks from the untrained eye as smoother and more relaxed in the pocket. I can't wait to see him next game and I hope he starts.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

True but look at the guys that he's been replaced by or chosen over .....

Petyon Manning - led his team to AFC Championship Game in his first year back from injury

Mark Sanchez - Head Coach has the guys face and jersey tattooed on him, need I say more

Tom Brady - MVP, multiple Super Bowl Champ

I'm not Tebow fan but it seems like he really hasn't had a fair shake between Denver and New England.

I believe he can be a starter for a team like the Jags or Raiders but right now his chances of supplanting one of the best QBs of all time are slim to none.

So I'd say LCAhmed's statement has some validity to it.

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Keenum wasnt even drafted. If he can leapfrog Yates, that's a big accomplishment in my eyes.

20. Big Dogzz

Big Dogzz Member

Whether you guys want to hear this or not T.J Yates has won bigger games for this team than Matt Schaub or Case Keenum. His accuracy issues obviously showed in the beginning but as the game went on he settled in and you all know it. T.J Yates RUNS the offense correctly. Case Keenum was being yelled at for not having the Texans in the correct formations. Whether or not Case is starting there is no thought or sentiment you can put out there that the Texans have him rated as a #2 right in their eyes right now. They merely want to see if he belongs with the big boys.

All this being said Case's improvement has been incredible from Year 1 to Year 2. I DO see him as a potential starter for this team. Just as of now I see him as the #3. You can't leap frog the QB in front of you when he plays good as well and gives you just as equal a chance to win.

Of course if there is struggle in the preseason by any QB everything changes. Somebody earlier said it best. We will know everything we need to know by the end of the preseason.