1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFT: Keenum could leapfrog Yates (maybe eventually Schaub)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Aug 10, 2013.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Wow from one ridiculous trade scenario to another.

You guys need to seriously think these things thru before you post.

Why would we ever trade 2 & 3 for Kirk and who in their right mind (besides the Raiders) honestly thinks Pryor will become a "poor mans Cam Newton"? :rolleyes:

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How tall is Case?

DD

3. kissOFdeath95

kissOFdeath95 Member

Honestly, in the back of my mind I've been worried about the future.

We have started to draft young replacement talent over the past couple of years, but I have been worried about QB. Obviously without a QB, we could have 10 JJ Watts and DeAndre Hopkins on each side of the ball and it wouldn't matter.

In comes Keenum. I watched him at UH, and while the competition wasn't great, you could tell the kid knew how to play the position. I am loving what I'm seeing out of him now, and I firmly believe that he could be our QB of the future. as soon as 2015.

Hes got a cannon for an arm. He's a mobile QB that can avoid tackles and make strong and accurate throws on the run.

I know this has been a small sample size. and I know he could fall flat on his face. But he's shown that he can play the position before. and a guy with his strength and pedigree should've never gone undrafted...

#keenum4QBn15

4. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

Keenum does not have a cannon, his arm strength is a question mark on him.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He has a pretty weak arm. I think that is his big weakness. The other short qb's brees and wilson they have pretty strong arms. However he can be successful because Kubiak's offense does a good job of getting guys open with play action and all its roll outs.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Doubtful. The QB is the most secure spot on the team.
    Kubiak simply does not DO QB controversies.

Rocket River

7. conquistador#11

the big arm is so overrated. successful systematic offenses don't require you to be able to heave a 70 yard bomb while on your knees eating a cheeseburger.Case has all the tools to eventually take over 3 seasons from now, that's still 16,000 passing yards away. wish case was 23. Love how case can hide the ball so well. Schaub is one of the best play action passer due to that alone.

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Too early to say anything about Keenum. One pre-season game and what he's done in training camp isn't enough for him to take the 2nd string spot. Yates did what he did already, and he's still young also.

9. plates300

plates300 Member

In all honesty, I don't care who the QB is. I just want the QB that gives us the best chance to win it all, and at the moment, all signs point to Schaub as he is the veteran. If another QB comes along and shows promise, then so be it. A little competition is always good.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Strong arm doesnt mean being able to throw far...it means having zip on the ball for those 20 yarders. That certainly is not overrated.

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I've heard it's not the distance but the ability to throw an NFL out pattern. NFL CB's break on the ball much quicker than college so the ability to get the 20 yard passes there on a line is a must.

12. Fantasma Negro

6'2 with cleats on

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

He's just a system quarterback ;)

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

How tall is Vince Young and Kevin Kolb?

15. conquistador#11

that's called slinging the ball. you also want a quick release. but the way people use arm strength, like in this thread, was suggesting 'deep balls'.:grin:

for example, tom brady's arm 'strength' wasn't that over powering in the combine, bishop's was light years 'stronger'.

case and yates, i like them both.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Precisely. Not to excited considering the competition. But I am intrigued.

17. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

I didn't think much of this "Case is the successor to Schaub's throne" scuttlebutt at first. But Kubiak just announced on Channel 11 that Keenum is likely to come in before Yates in the next pre-season game to get more time in with the 1st and 2nd team.

18. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

It's a little long for a signature, but it's just way too good of a quote to pass up!

1 person likes this.
  19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

The only people saying this are the people that did not watch him at UH. He definitely has good arm strength. Better than the other QBs on the Texans. Go watch some videos of him at UH, where he throws the ball 40 yards downfield, on the run, hitting receivers in stride.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

So true. I think the "arm strength" issue came up at the "combine." He was dealing with some physical issue there, but the "theory" took off and is repeated over and over. I watched him throw every kind of pass imaginable at UH. As far as "doing it" with the third team, that made his performance all the more impressive. He moved the reserves like they were vets. Next game, yes, he will be doing it against better competition, but he will have better players around him. Just give the guy a chance, he will always surprise; he has his whole career.

1 person likes this.