1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFT: Keenum could leapfrog Yates (maybe eventually Schaub)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Aug 10, 2013.

1. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Oh man the bad memories are coming back to me. What could have been :(

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

has a #2 QB been named for week 1?

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

I bet Kubiak comes up with "both are number 2 and may go in based on the circumstances."

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No way Yates isnt the backup for this season.

I also think the Texans will keep an eye open over the next year for teams that may be interested in a trade. Hopefully we can get a 5th for TJ.

I think next year, Keenum will be the #2.

5. hairyme

hairyme Member

^^ Agreed.

Yates has proven himself to be a solid backup, which is more than what at least 2 or 3 teams (e.g. Bills, Jets, Raiders, etc.) around the league can claim to have among their qb options. If any of these teams get desperate enough this season, they could possibly look at Yates as an option... but if we dock him to 3rd string based on Keenum's potential, we only bring down any value he may or may not have.

This is in contrast to Keenum, who may also be a solid backup, and perhaps, just possibly (*fingers crossed*) more, but at this point, he has more potential than proven success, which makes him less valuable to other teams than Yates I think... well, unless there are some GMs wearing some cougar red-colored glasses like some of us!

Either way, I don't think we have anything to gain by promoting Keenum to 2nd string (in name at least) for this season. Though, if Schaub were to actually go down for an extended period of time... I hope Case gets the nod!

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

So much for that.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Gary Kubiak says T.J.Yates is the Texans backup QB.</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/statuses/375687470249029632">September 5, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Good choice as TJ already has playoff experience and Case did nothing to separate himself. That has more to do with TJ's play though than Case playing badly. There is a reason both guys made the team. TJ does feel more so an insurance policy as Case feels like the heir.

8. Raven

Raven Member

No one should be surprised. Yates had a solid preseason, and this decision causes the least drama.

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

No surprise. The real question is will Keenum be cut?

10. Raven

Raven Member

Ha ha ha.

Uh, no. Not even the Texans are that dumb.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Not a surprise, Yates has regular game experience and seniority. I thought Case matched his preseason performance, in some ways exceeded it. I still think Case is the future.

12. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

No, the texans wont cut Keenum, they always carry 3 quarterbacks, most of the teams does that, and keenum could have potential, and right now, its closer that the texans trade yates than releasing keenum.

13. Poloshirtbandit

I think two years ago when we had Leinart and Yates that was was one of the first years the Texans carried 3 QBs under Kubiak. When Capers was here, I can only think of a couple years that we had Tony Banks and Dave Ragone as backups.

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Not always. They didn't last year (well, John Beck lasted 4 games as the #3). They didn't in '07 or '08 (not counting when Schaub was injured).

It's not a constant across the league. By my count, 14 teams currently have only 2 QBs on their 53 man roster. Yes, that means "most" teams carry more. A few are even carrying 4. But it's not like it's an overwhelming majority. I think teams carry either 2 or 3, but neither is considered "the standard".

We had Leinart and Dan Orlovsky as backups in 2010 and Orlovsky and Rex Grossman in 2009.

#294 Cannonball, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Im checking: http://www.footballdb.com/

2002: 2 QBs
    2003: carr, banks, ragone
    2004: 2 QBs
    2005: carr, banks, ragone
    2006: first year in of kubiak 3 QBs, carr, rosenfels, porter
    2007: schaub, rosenfels, boyd
    2008: 2
    2009: schaub, grossman, orlovsky
    2010: schaub, orlovsky, leinart
    2011: schaub, yates, leinart (even with schaub and leinart in IR, they signed: jeff garcia and jake delhomme, so at one time they had 5 QBs signed.
    2012: schaub, yates (only 2) with keenum in practice squad.
    2013: 3 for now.

so 8 out of 12 (including this one).

16. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

according to rotoworld.com I counted 18 or 19 teams with 3 QBs, maybe its not the standard, but isnt crazy to think they will carry 3 QBs, so I really dont think they cut Keenum now.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

2006: 2 QBs. Porter was promoted from the practice squad when Sage hurt his thumb and was put on IR.
    2007: 2 QBs. Boyd was there when Matt was out with a concussion.
    2008: 2
    2009: 3
    2010: 3
    2011: 3 (The others were only there due to injury. There were never more than 3 on the 53 man)
    2012: 2
    2013: 3

So it's more like 4 out of 8 years in the Kubiak era.

Oh, I don't think they'll cut him either. I just don't think it's because they think they HAVE to have carry 3.

I've always felt like Kubiak would rather carry only 2. He was content with Schaub and Rosenfels, but then Sage went looking to win the starting job in Minny. I don't think he had any confidence in any single backup until last season which is why he carried 3. They drafted TJ to be that solid backup but still didn't like the idea of him being the #2 in his rookie year so they carried 3 in 2010. When he did well, they were comfortable with him being the only backup. This year is a different situation because now Kubes has confidence in all 3 QBs. Both TJ and Case have value and it would be stupid to cut one and allow another team to claim them for nothing.

I think they both stay on the roster this year but the loser of the backup battle next year ends up being traded.

#297 Cannonball, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

ok, got your point, and I think Yates is the one who is going to be traded, he has more value because of his experience, so it would be easier to trade him for a better draft pick.

19. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

Been rooting for Case the whole way, but I'm fine with this decision. If Keenum continues his current trajectory of improvement year by year, I can easily see him as the starter a few years down the line.