1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pettitte to be a 'Stro

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 5, 2003.

1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He kinda looks like a goober. It must be the shirt and tie under the jersey.

2. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Much better looking pin stripes

3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

One correction.

Earlier I said Kevin Brown was making about 18.5 mil. Actually he has two years of 15 mil per season left on his deal.

4. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i know this may have been tossed around a million times, but I read somewhere that Andy has been working out with Roger C. Could you imagine what it would be like if Roger decided to comeback with the stros?

5. Nomar

Nomar Member

I just want to post that I think this is a terrible signing and that it will come back to haunt us.

There, I got it in so I can refer to this thread when it happens.

Carry on.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm with you brother.:)

7. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I would like to go on record and say the Astros will finally win a playoff series this year.

We now have one of the top 5 rotations in basbeall!

This will be the first year i can remember when the Astros actually have 5 legitimate pitchers for the starting rotation entering the season. No more trying guys out in spring training and signing some random shmuck to fill in the 3rd spot in the rotation.

Now there will actually be fierce competition by Redding, Hernandez, Duckworth, and Robertson for the last 2 spots.

I would think Redding has the best chance to be the #4 if he continues to pitch like he did last year, but the other 3 is a toss up. There's alot of potential in Hernandez and Duckworth, i'm not so sure about Robertson.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

8. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I just want to say that this is going to be a good signing for us. I will refer to this thread when it happens.
    :p

Take away the DH, facing a new league, Brad Ausmus instead of Posada calling the game and this is going to be a fun year. Everyone says that he is a stellar person and a great clubhouse leader and is in his prime and durable.

I like this quote from baseball primer...

The Juice Box is a better hitters' park than Yankee Stadium, but it's never really been the extreme park it's been portrayed as by the "Ten Run Field" nickname and Pettitte gets the more sizable advantages of not being saddled with the Yankee D behind him and facing pitchers most of the time instead of designated hitters.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I found this in the sig of one of those guys on a Yankee board.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"You tell that son of a b**** no Yankee is ever comin' to Houston -- not as long as you bastards are running things!"

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Just wanna chime in the moutain o a thread, and to say good, no great news!...Astro fan is more than happy! :)

11. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Oski, at the top of the 5pm Sportscenter they showed the actual clip. It was pretty damn funny

12. Oski2005

That's where I got it from.

13. Oski2005

I mean, the whole idea to start using that. I had seen the ep before, but I just never thought about it in light of current events.

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I wonder if fans will be easier on Pettitte because he gave us the hometown discount. On the news he said money wasn't the deciding factor cause he was flattered there was so much on the table not just from the Yankees. I think the Red Sox offered him in the $50 million dollar range.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Clemens could sign with the Astros now that Pettitte has signed. I heard the Astros told Clemens he could make all his starts at home. The only problem is Clemens is too chicken to pick up the bat.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

:D

Classic

The only person this is going to come back and haunt is the owner that replaces Drayton. Pettitte getting $17 million in his last year and Jeff Kent getting deffered $$$ when he won't even be in a Astros uni is going to kill are invisible cap limit. Hopefully the new owner will move that limit a little higher than Draytons.

BTW, I think it's just about in the bag that Pettitte coming here will bring in Clemens. The way that Pettitte was talking on 610 he sounded that Clemens was still working out, throwing hard, and might be able to be persuaded into pitching another season in Houston. Even Gerry Hunsicker said that they are leaving uniform #21a open, just in case. :)

17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Are you crazy!?!

Clemens would beat the hell outa anybody who charged him.

Never underestimate old man strength Robin Ventura. ;)

18. lalala902102001

I think that the Astros are now a legit contender again. Their biggest weakness last year was their starting pitchers. Adding Pettite should help that a lot.

I hated losing Wagner, but if I have to choose between a closer who chokes when it counts and a starter who is a proven winner I would take the later every time.

However, the best thing about signning Pettite is that we get to see Goerge Steinbrenner pissed off, which is priceless!! :D

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The recent rumor has been that Drayton is planning to sell after the season (all-star game)...which explains the small amount early on.

At 5.5 million, it looks like we've actually reduced payroll for this year (Wagner's 8 mill minus Pettitte (5.5) and Duckworth (?))

20. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I've heard the rumors and it wouldn't surprise me. Supposedly the guy that owns Landry's has a bid in for them.

AS for payroll. I think Duck makes a little over $2 mil. But it still will not be a payroll decrease because yo uhave to factor in all the arbitration raises players will get. Reported figures indicated that through raises in current deals and arbitration Wagner's deleted salary was already accounted for.