1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pettitte to be a 'Stro

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 5, 2003.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

BTW it took Andy for me to get my wife into Baseball. "sigh" Now she's threatening to swear off the Yankees. I'll have to start all over again!

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think Pettitte is even close to making the HOF. Sure, he has 149 wins, but keep in mind who he has been pitching for. He has had several years where his ERA was well over 4.00 and he still picked up a bunch of wins. In 1999 he had a 4.70 ERA and he had 14 wins, and in 2000 he had a 4.35 ERA and he picked up 19 wins.

Overall I think Pettitte is a little above average pitcher that should help the Astros. I see nothing to indicate he will be the ace of our staff(that will be Oswalt), and he may only be the 3rd or 4th best on our staff.

I remember when everyone was so happy when the Astros singned Doug Drabek and Greg Swindell. Swindell went 30-34 with a 4.48 ERA with the Astros, and Drabek went 38-42 with a 4.00 ERA, and they were pitching in the Dome. I just wonder how Petitte and his career 3.94 ERA will do pitching in Minute Maid Park.

Overall I am happy the Astros added Pettitte to the team. However, since Pettitte is now saying it's not about the money, I wish we had only offered him 5 million.

4. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Good, maybe he will put asses in the seats.

I am happy for the Astros. I was never excited about the Astros like this since they traded for Randy Johnson.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you've got to be kidding.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I like the Astros and all, but we just don't get that big name player. Sure Bags, and Bigg are big time, but I don't think they get the run they that get like a Randy Johnson.

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I wonder how this makes Billy Wagner feel..... this is alot better pickup then the Woody Williams thing he complained about.

Come on spring training... :)

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Andy is going to be on the Dan Patrick show at 2:30 central (any minute now). I'll recap for those that can't listen.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'll tell you how it makes him look....like a flatout ass.

wagner's complaint was that management didn't field a team that could win...i'm sorry, but that's a load of crap...in 98, 99 and 01, they were very, very capable of winning a series...or more. in 98, i would argue they were the very best team in the NL...they didn't perform in the playoffs...whose fault is that? ownership's?? come on...ridiculous.

now the astros go out and get perhaps the 2nd best starting pitcher on the market this offseason.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

My only point is Andy Pettite is no Randy Johnson. I understand the excitement, even though I really don't.

11. famicom

famicom Member

WEE GOT HIM!!

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Just listened to Andy on the Dan Patrick show....

He said it was a very tough decision, because he was leaving guys like Jeter, Rivera, and Bernie. He has still not talked to Steinbrenner or Cashman.

He has been working out with Roger Clemens for the past 4 days, and he said that Roger is still in pitching shape. Andy said that if Roger mentions that he has any interest at all in still pitching, that he will be all over him to make it happen :D

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Holy Crap, I am actually looking towards the Astros season!

I have not been this excited about the team in a long long time. I always watch as many games as I can, which is just about all of them.

Go Astros!

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If Clemens is thinking of coming back I wonder why Pettitte took his old number. Seems a little odd.

Clemens + Pettitte back in Houston would be the biggest acquisitions in Astros history in terms of sentamental value.

15. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

If the yanks would have won the world series, he would have gone out on top, does not winning leave it open for one more year?

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and that would certainly be the biggest offseason in astros history

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

They actually mentioned something about the number. Andy said that if Roger came back, he would make him wear #22. Patrick said that is the number Jimy Williams wears, so they would have to make him switch.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Dang...this makes me want to go out to my truck to listen. I am stuck in the library waiting for my next class to start....2 boring hours.

I should of just went home. What a waste of time....err did I say waste? I mean great BBS time. ;)

19. Houstone

Houstone Member

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

totally. awesome.