1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pete Munro back with Stros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Jun 3, 2004.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Munro Signs w/ Astros

CHICAGO - Pete Munro, one of the six pitchers who combined on the Astros' no-hitter at Yankee Stadium last June 11, re-signed with the team as a free agent Wednesday. He will join the club Friday in St. Louis.

Righthander Brandon Backe was optioned back to Class AAA New Orleans to make room for Munro on the 25-man roster.

Munro had been pitching for the Rochester Red Wings, the Minnesota Twins' Class AAA affiliate, but he had a clause in his contract that allowed him to gain free agency if he wasn't promoted to the majors by June 1. Munro was 5-2 with a 3.29 ERA with the Red Wings.

"Pete's been pitching very well at Triple A," Astros general manager Gerry Hunsicker said. "He's been in the starting rotation. He seems to be on top of his game right now, and as we look at our bullpen and continue to try to find some consistency out there, we felt that Pete would fit nicely in that long man/spot starter category.

"He can start or relieve. He's got major-league experience. He's been in pennant races. At this point in his career, we feel like he can help our bullpen."

I think this is a solid move. Backe obviously needs to regain some confidence in his stuff. Munro gives us another reliver capable of starting or going long when necessary. I was disappointed when he wasn't brought back after last season. He will give us a little more veteran presence out of the pen and the occasional spot start. Hopefully, this isn't a sign that Pettitte will be out longer than originally thought. Either way, I am glad that Pete is back.

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I agree this was a good move... I like him in there better than Backe the way that Brandon's been pitching lately. BTW, spot start MAYBE, but when has "Jimmah" ever used a "long" reliever?? I regularly see him give guys one inning or less unless an injury occurs. To say this guy micromanages the pitching staff is like saying Roger Clemens is having an "okay" season.

HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT!

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

I guess Ron Villone wasn't available.............;)

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You are right about that. I was thinking in "what should really happen" terms. Jimah considers his starters as long relievers.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I have a feeling that Munro will get the starts in Pettite's spot until he returns.

Brandon Duckworth, while he's had to go from seeing no game-time, to spot-starting, to seeing no time again, to starting again... just doesn't put this team in a good position to win every time he's out there (ironically, the team is UNDEFEATED in games Duckworth starts... that's more coincidence than anything).

Munro doesn't have blazing stuff, so I don't see him in a set-up man role at all.

Actually, Jimy uses a pretty simple formula... he'll use the good arms in wins or close games, and the bad arms in losses:

Good arms - Lidge, Dotel, Miceli, Harville.
    Bad arms - Duckworth, Stone, Munro.
    Lefty arm - Gallo

Backe wavered back and forth between the top two groups throughout his time here, and he's young enough that he can go down to AAA, get it straightened out, and be back with a vengance later this year.

6. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

You do not have to possess "blazing stuff" in order to be successful in the majors. I don't even need to give examples to back this truism. Even my wife knows this.

Pete Munro is a welcome addition.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

true... but in looking at the set-up arms in the bullpen already (Lidge, Miceli, Harville), the slowest thrower is Miceli, and he can get it up to 94-95.

Its not a requirement in general, but on this team... Munro's 88-90mph fastball won't cut it (see Ricky Stone).

But, he'll probably do more with his mediocre stuff than Duckworth did as a starter with his decent stuff.

8. Fegwu

I know you will agree with me when I state that knowing how to pitch and locating your pitch purposefully is certainly more important than how hard you throw.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Of course I agree with that... but as I just said above, we have guys who throw fast AND are able to locate.

You'd take blazing stuff with location, over just location, any day of the week, correct?

10. Fegwu

Correct.

But at the same time I can conceive the idea of favoring pete Munro and his pitching style and ability to Timothy Redding's. Tim can only throw and occassionally fool hitters or luckily hit his spots.

Seriously, I will choose the present Munro over the present Redding. Redding has better stuff but it has done us very little good. Any pitcher that can throw hard and still unable to get hitters out consistently is a glorified pitching machine.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I like this...He's got to be better than our alternatives...

12. haven

haven Member

Incorrect.

Very common misperception, though. It's a result of the fact that only the guys who are relatively skilled at throwing hard make it in the first place. But the nation is littered with unsuccessful ballplayers who locate well, but just didn't throw hard enough.

Oh, sure - you can point at the outliers. But throwing hard is athletic ability. Matters like knowing how to pitch and location determine success among the already-selected portion of players.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

A spot (junk like) thrower hitting his spot at 82 vs 88 is the difference between a major major league career and being posterized off the mound.

14. Fegwu

Incorrect?

On a subjective debate like this one, using the word incorrect is incorrect in regards to this premise.

You can dissagree and present us with your reasons but you cannot assume an absolute posture on a matter this subjective.

Oh by the way, I understand the premise of your stance but beg to dissagree on fundamental grounds.