1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Personal experience with Covid-19

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by basso, May 9, 2020.

?

Do you have personal experience with Covid-19

1. I have/had Covid-19

36 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. I have an immediate family member who has/had Covid-19

33 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. I have close friends diagnosed with Covid-19

39 vote(s)
    24.5%
  4. I know someone who was diagnosed with Covid-19

69 vote(s)
    43.4%
  5. I don't personally know anyone with Covid-19

49 vote(s)
    30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

with the size of this board, and the scale of the outbreak, i'm sure there are more than a few members whose lives have been touched by the virus. I wonder how widespread the impact is.

The poll is private, but feel free to share if you wish.

K mf G, King1, Deckard and 1 other person like this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Had it, seen countless people with it, die from it etc . Insane we’re living through this. That’s all I’ll say for now

malakas, K mf G, Nook and 12 others like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

wow, what? hope you're ok.

i had an uncle in nyc who didn't survive covid. the circumstance in which he got it was very unfortunate. he died 2-3 days after getting it.

don grahamleone, Nook and calcium like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@what posted a great thread documenting his family's experience with it. Very honest and a lot of good info. For me I've had a few friends get it. One is recovering right now. Another is in her 30's and was a runner. She recovered a few weeks ago. One of my former Judo students got it and is worried she's getting a relapse. She's in her late 20's. A very close friend of mine lost her aunt to it back in March.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Very sorry to hear that. As the OP said this is touching a lot of us. Unfortunately some worse than others..

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

9. basso

Supporting Member

we're living through it now. my FIL passed from non-covid causes a few weeks back. wife went to be with him, along with her two sisters. he had in-home care. 10 days after coming home, she started showing symptoms; tested positive, isolated at home, and was recently cleared. neither of the sisters has symptoms. we suspect it came from a nurse.

daughter now has symptoms, but tested negative. both tests done w/ swab. i suspect a false negative, as her symptoms are more obvious, including "the cough". both tests were nasal swabs.

I have a few symptoms, but might just be hungover; drinking more than usual.

Jontro likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

An old friend of my significant other, someone she worked with for over 20 years (and someone I know very well), caught it from his step-daughter, a nurse here in Austin. Somehow his wife, who's a cancer survivor (from last year) with a compromised immune system, didn't get it. They stayed far away from each other in their house and it worked. This was a few weeks ago, and everyone is OK, thank goodness. He's 70 years old, the step-daughter in her 30's. Our friend considers himself very lucky. It was not at all a pleasant experience and really frightened everyone involved.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I’m honestly surprised that not even a friend of a Facebook friend has mentioned themselves or a family member. No one in my family or anyone they know(California, Michigan and Texas). No one in my close group of friends extended families. None of my wife’s family or her sisters network of friends. None.

Not to say that someone hasnt had it and didn’t make it public or didn’t even know they had it, but to this point no one confirmed.

Jontro and basso like this.
  12. basso

Supporting Member

i think it's probably not the kind of thing you post on FB...for most people.

Blatz likes this.
  13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Two of my friends parents passed away from it. Interestingly both were from Queens, NYC although they didn't know each other. One of my employees parents also just passed away from it last week although her mom was like 82. A former classmate has it currently, she's still recovering in her 20's.

I work in a 500+ bed hospital and it's always nice to see the folks who had COVID walk out healthy after a few days. Everyone here at the facility is pretty much resigned to the fact that we'll get it eventually, so we just try to be as healthy as possible. Not eating much sugar and try to reduce stress when we can.

14. B-Bob

we may all know people who were asymptomatic or had light cases. Still awaiting the Mrs chance to get antibody testing.

we know a couple of people so far who have had it. One friend in London made it through without hospital visit. One elderly acquaintance (not a friend) died here in the Bay Area.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Sorry to hear this basso. Hoping the best for you and your family.

malakas, Blatz, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I only know 4 people that probably had it, but by the time they (the one that was sick for 10 days were tested), the virus no longer existed. His doctor was pretty sure he had it, however.

As the virus has been shown to be in the USA earlier and earlier, my wife and I thought we may have had it back in February. I had an antibody test yesterday, but it can back negative.

I know a handful of people that have had it that are a couple of degrees of separation from me.

17. B-Bob

take care, @basso. Among the bad, the good news for your household might be that it’s looking more and more like antibody immunity is a real thing, so re-infection very unlikely for at least some months.

malakas and basso like this.
  18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I know someone that had was part of a three-way live kidney exchange (somewhat common in live donations) that has been delayed and most probably canceled due to Covid.

I personally know another person in serious pain due to putting off a much needed knee replacement.

Jontro likes this.
  19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Brother in law has it. He only got a test because he passed out and was taken by ambulance after developing symptoms from a person that was confirmed positive.

My sister is married to him and had all same signs in milder version and ' wasnt sick enough' to get a test and could not get one at all. She stopped trying eventually..

So her and her daughter as well likely had it / have it ...who knows?

This should be in d&d and im sorry but the tests are not "perfect" they aren't around!

Jontro likes this.
  20. droxford

droxford Member

One of my employees had it. She's not a "close friend", but she's more than just "someone I know".