1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Penn State coach, AD, VP charged in child rape case

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 5, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Spoiler huge pic please :)

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lets hear what Paterno has to say. That's all I'm saying. If he heard something was going on, reported it to higher-ups, and was told they didn't find anything, is that really such a crime?

What if him and Sandusky were close? And he had no reason to believe any of the rumors. What if you heard something like that about one of your friends? Would you give him the benefit of the doubt? Would you immediately burn him at the stake? Risk your livelihood, the health of a program -- based on a rumor? Anyone can make up rumors.

3. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

was already doing it. oops!

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't. And I don't like them either in general. But, maybe that's a good thing in this case. Imagine if I heard my boss was diddling kids. I tell the CEO, and he says he looked into it and its nothing to worry about. Should I report a rumor and risk the business being consumed by bad PR? Should I risk being fired for bringing on the negative pub? This isn't the cut-and-dry, right or wrong scenario y'all are making it out to be.

What if the rumor is not true? I have to work with my boss everyday. I have to be professional with him after it was clear I thought he was doing something awful. How would he feel towards me? How would that change the dynamics of our working relationship?

Joe Paterno was already clearly losing grip on reality, now he's supposed to report a rumor, possibly look insane in the public eye (if the rumor was false) and sail off into the sunset like a buffoon?

There are dynamics in this scenario I really do think are being missed. Sorry I'm holding on to the notion that Paterno is actually a decent person. Let him speak.

#104 Ziggy, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
  5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Was at lunch watching, but no sound so thanks for this...It's true, the more I read and listen, the more you have to question why wasn't more done to stop this...I do agree innocent until proven guilty, but as more and more comes out, you know Sandusky is guilty but why didn't JoeP do anything else...thats why i think he's gone...fkn bastards, all of them...

6. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Not sure that really matters most people can see right/wrong regardless...

7. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Or a moral compass.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

But you can certainly understand how, when everything comes to light, and it turns out to ALL be true, that you would be vilified as well?? At a certain point, it isn't about maintaining your company's PR, or protecting your friend....it's about stopping a monster from raping children. I agree with the sentiment that Paterno probably is not as much to blame as the President, or even the Graduate Assistant (that ******* literally SAW a child getting raped, and in essence, did nothing), but Paterno is reaping what he sowed here. If you TRULY cared about justice being served, you would have at least inquired with your superiors about what, if anything, came about the sex allegations on Sandusky.

To me, it's the Graduate Assistant who really needs to get strung up. He freaking SAW the whole thing unfolding, and all he did was call his dad, and then tell Paterno. No questions about why Sandusky was still walking around the place. No questions about the child. Nothing. The whole thing is disgusting.

9. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

PLEASE NOTE - ALL RUMOR

http://www.chatsports.com/penn-stat...ep-down-from-Penn-State-on-Thursday-10-137-26

Happy Valley, PA-

Chat Sports has recently learned, on a tip from a known ESPN writer who has been told to not report the story, that Joe Paterno will meet with university officials on Wednesday to tell him that he is being asked to resign immediately and will not coach this Saturday vs. Nebraska.

The source is citing a conversation with multiple Regents of the University as they left an emergency 7am meeting this morning called by PSU President Graham Spanier to discuss the future of the the Penn State football and the stance the university wished to take on the legal and moral matters that face current and former Penn State administrators. The Boards of Regents, long wishing to make Paterno’s exit as smooth and gracious as possible, could not come up with any scenario that would allow Paterno to continue to lead the historic football program.

Paterno will be offered a generous retirement package from the school in exchange for agreeing to never discuss the situation regarding Sandusky with anyone other than the authorities. As it stands now, Penn State President Spanier will hold a press conference on Thursday to announce the decision of Paterno to ‘step down’ effective immediately. We are told that Paterno will not attend the press conference at request of the school.

Stay tuned for further details from Chat Nits as the day continues...

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Paterno is the godfather of the whole football program who basically told the Uniersity President to **** off when he tried to gently suggest retirement a few years ago. He's probably the most powerful man in the university by far.

If reporting up (w/o reporting to police) is acceptable, there's no higher person to report to than Paterno. That's quite a bit of responsibilty you're putting on the GA (who's probably not there anymore....) to be the one to ensure that Paterno, of all people, is acting responsibly.

That's why Paterno's response is ridiculous - he reported it to two functionaries in the AD who were nominally above him, but in reality were probably more like his subordinates.

11. Major

Major Member

That's messed up. Only reason to do that if there's more dirt you want to keep hidden.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's an assistant coach there.

13. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

You are a moron. Paterno talked to the grand jury already. Stop spreading your opinions based on ignorance.

14. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

This is just disgusting. Can you imagine what's going on in the minds of psu player's right now? I don't think I'd want Paterno leading me out on to the field before a game. Penn State's football program is going down the crapper.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yes but hindsight is 20/20. You have to look at from exactly where he stood at the time. You have to factor in all the dynamics I previously mentioned. Its not a cut-and-dry decision.

I agree -- if Paterno actually saw something or knew it was true. Which he obviously didn't if he's not being charged with failing to alert authorities like others in the scandal. I chose to give him the benefit of the doubt until I hear him speak. That's a lot to risk based on a rumor. Especially when he probably felt he knew Sandusky, didn't believe the rumors, trusted his University, etc... just let him speak.

If Paterno saw it happen I'd be on board with you guys 100%. As it stands now, I'll wait to hear his side of the story.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i can't believe there are sane people out there whose first two reactions to seeing a 10 year old being raped wouldnt' be to 1) stop said rape and 2) call the cops. there are some things you report to the legal authorities regardless of where it happens.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What did he tell them? That he heard a rumor? I'll have to plead some ignorance here, I didn't follow the whole story from the beginning. Now I'm kind of shocked Paterno seems to be getting the brunt of the blame in the media's eye. Well... no, I guess that shouldn't surprise me.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

paterno testified to the grand jury that mcqueery told him that sandusky was in the shower "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy".

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Major

Major Member

Paterno then told his AD, Tim Curley, who summoned McQueary 1 ½ weeks later. Sandusky was banned from bringing children into the football facility but no authorities were contacted.

If nothing happened, why ban him from bringing children to the facility? If something did happen, why not report it to authorities?