1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Penn State coach, AD, VP charged in child rape case

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 5, 2011.

1. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Paterno should be out make a statement and go spend the the rest of his days with his family.

The media will put him in an early grave an 83 year old man can not handle this...........

2. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

RT @BlogAndTackle:Sara Ganim of Patriot-News reports PSU President Spanier cancelled Paterno's presser w/o informing coach

Uh-Oh

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_football_press_conf.html

Penn State football press conference canceled by university president

Published: Tuesday, November 08, 2011, 11:26 AM Updated: Tuesday, November 08, 2011, 12:03 PM

By SARA GANIM, The Patriot-News

Penn State football coach Joe Paterno says he's disappointed university President Graham Spanier has canceled the team's weekly press conference, without explanation, this morning. The press conference was supposed to begin in an hour, at 12:30 p.m., and Spanier canceled it without conferring with the coach, Paterno said.

Media from around the country is lined up dozens of people deep awaiting the press conference in State College, Pa., in light of a sex-abuse scandal affecting the campus. Paterno's former assistant Jerry Sandusky was arrested on Saturday and charged in the sexual assault of eight boys.

Paterno said he was looking forward to the opportunity to discuss concerns related to the scandal, as well as to talk about Saturday's game against Nebraska. The football players don't deserve having the press conference canceled, Paterno said.

PSU's Assistant Athletic Director/Communications Jeff Nelson sent this message to the press last night, seeming to suggest that scandal-related questions weren't going to be welcomed:

"Media planning to attend Tuesday's Penn State Football weekly teleconference are advised that that primary focus of the teleconference is to answer questions related to Penn State's Senior Day game with Nebraska this Saturday. Head coach Joe Paterno and any Penn State Football student-athletes in attendance will be answering questions about the Nebraska game, Penn State's season thus far and other topics related to the current college football season."

[​IMG]

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Ziggy is a good guy and just playing devil's advocate. Chill out.

The better argument for defending JoePa is that he's simply that old and senile, that he probably didn't realize or understand what was happening.

Personally, I agree that this should be the end of JoePa in Happy Valley. If Bobby Bowden can get canned after the career he's had, there's no reason JoePa should be treated any differently for a matter that adversely affects the school's rep 1000x worse.

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

only a bunch of mushroom tips so-far...

I've been a big fan of joe pa's since i was a kid but his reaction to one of his right hand men doing something like this to a 10 year old and the subsequent 7 year cover up makes me sick to my stomach.

the great coach spends years holding himself up as a beacon for moral character and then lets this disgusting sexual deviant operate freely under his watch?

What a ****ing hypocrite, time to burn the house down.

1 person likes this.
  5. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

RT @PeteThamelNYT BREAKING: @markcviera and I report that Joe Paterno will not coach next season. Officials are planning his departure. nyti.ms/u4XcOz

Anyone watching Millen on ESPN?

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

edit wrong link - But Millen is still talking live on ESPN.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Spanier just screwed over Paterno pretty hard by cancelling the press conference without his knowledge.

11. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

damn millen was fired up...paterno is done, cancelling that presser, whether paterno knew or not...time is up. they should just announce his resignation later today

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is about the only time I'd want to hear Matt Millen's opinion on anything. But I didn't know until this clip that Sandusky was his position coach. :eek:

Despite the articles just posted, I think Paterno might be gone before Saturday. I can't rationalize why he isn't gone by the end of today. This sordid mess trumps everything he's done and he doesn't deserve to go out gracefully.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

kind of a ****ed up thing to be playing devil's advocate about. but it would explain his fascination with "pee-pee games" and "suckers". :eek:

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Didn't know this. I still want him around. Maybe its selfish. But I just cant blame Paterno directly for it. I once saw a guy masturbating at his cubicle and I couldn't even muster up the courage to tell anyone. I was in shock. Who knows what Paterno was going through? How he'd react. And what mental capacities does the guy really have? Even 10 years ago.

I just cant believe he's a bad guy. He might not have done the right thing, but Penn State football is obviously his life. Even with all of this, I'd hate to see him go.

15. Major

Major Member

Agreed - the worst thing they could do would be to implicitly protect him by letting him play out the season and retire peacefully.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

wow, just wow.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Someones gotta come in on the other side. I'd like to hear what Penn State alums are saying. Any quotes out there?

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

no, i'm pretty sure all sane individuals come out on the side of reporting child rape to the authorities even if it means bad things for a football program.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He did report it though. This is like the last episode of Seinfeld if it were on Fox.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

he did not report child rape to the authorities. and he continued to allow this monster to use psu facilities until last ****ing week.

if i walked into your bathroom at work and saw a 10 year old boy being raped, you'd only go to your "manager"? you wouldn't feel the need to call, oh, maybe the cops? or if one of your employees came to you telling you they saw this, you'd just report it to your "manager"? i guess to some, child rape is just pee-pee games.