1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Penn State coach, AD, VP charged in child rape case

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 5, 2011.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

One of two things will happen: (1) They let Paterno re-sign immediately or (2) He announces this is his last season and they let him finish it out.

IMO, I don't think he will last the season.

2. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I thought it was going to be option 2, but I'm not so sure anymore. It feels like the bomb has gone off with this story, but we haven't seen the mushroom cloud yet.

3. Buck Turgidson

That was my first thought: "Since when is Penn State a Catholic institution?"

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Screw it. I'll defend him. He notified someone, it was off his plate. The morality police should come down him, but as a football coach, I think he's fine. His job is to coach, not be a superhero. If you were in his shoes what you do? Go to the cops and knowingly cripple your program's ability to recruit? He is a good football coach, I hope he sticks around for another 25 years.

I'm not trying to troll. I honestly prefer he remains at Penn State.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes & so would most people.

..you're just truly this dumb? I hope not...

6. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I heard Sandusky was still on campus and also with kids on campus in 2007. He should have done more IMO...

7. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

You're one ****ed up dude.

8. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

Jesus Christ he let the guy go on trips with the team. He still had an office in the athletic department.

9. Major

Major Member

Umm, yes? You would instead support molesting kids to make sure your football program was OK? WTF? Would you cover up murder too? Is there anything off limits?

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Ziggy man... damn dude.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've lost a lot of respect for you, Ziggy. What happened to doing the right thing?

12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

You have a very low standard for superheroes.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd like to think that you're just taking the contrarian's position for the heck of making an argument as to how one could say Paterno did nothing wrong.

I really hope that's what you're doing because, in reality, it appears there is nothing that was done right.

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'll assume Ziggy has never been around people who have experienced sexual abuse as a child.

That stuff is beyond debilitating. The war stories I've heard from some people who faced such events ruins their childhoods. One of the worst things you can do is ruin a childhood like that. And if you have the chance to stop it, you do. Sexual abuse is worse than death for some people. You don't allow that to happen when you know its going on. The entire Penn State staff is criminal if they knew this was going on but did nothing to stop it.

This isn't not telling the NCAA about selling memorabilia to buy tattoos or using booster money to buy a house. Your rationalization at least works in those scenarios.

This is a guy sexually abusing children. They're not even in the same universe. If you dont have the ethical impulse to stop something like that immediately then there's something wrong with you.

15. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has to go beyond Penn State itself - the NCAA should intervene and demand that Paterno be fired. He was given the kind of power, authority and respect that very few people will ever experience, yet when faced with a clear-cut situation that required him to wield that power, he passed the buck. I don't care what kind of "clean" football program he ran - that makes him a loser in my book. I hope he gets bankrupted by the ensuing civil suits.

Also, I think the opposing crowd should boo him at any future games. If they can stand up and cheer for victories, they can stand up and boo with equal fervor.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

JoePa/Graham Spanier/Penn St abruptly cancel weekly PC

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i'm going to go with ziggy's playing the devil's avocado card cause if not, holy **** that is one ****ed up aggy.

18. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Did they? Wow. Penn State is writing the book on how NOT to handle a problem on this.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, cancelled the PC. Paterno not appearing on the weekly Big 10 teleconference either.

That'll sweep it under the rug! All will magically be forgotten!:rolleyes: Everyone at Penn St. roasted on twitter(as they should be).

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sad to see a legend fall like this, but Paterno remaining as HC at Penn State for one more day is a slap in the face to all the victims.