1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{PC HELP} new modem not working

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Aug 30, 2017.

1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

nevermind....called TWC. got it all sorted out

#1 FlyerFanatic, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Call time Warner or go back to them.

Time Warner on phone can ping your modem and see if it's receiving signals.

I have a feeling the lady at store did not set your account up properly or something.

Could be a faulty modem but my money is on TW folks not doing things right. They are imbeciles.

Oh btw, I am assuming you have restarted your modem and have received or set up Pedro etc etc. ?

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I find it's so freaking hard to diagnose network problems without being able to see your screen and such. But for now let's start with some basic questions...

Can you log in to the modem from your computer?

Is your computer plugged directly into the modem, or is it plugged in through a router? If router, can you log in to the router?

In network settings, what's displaying as your DNS server(s) and subnet mask? How about default gateway?

4. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

i did end up just calling. and actually it was the easiest time i've ever had. i swear it couldnt have gone smoother. years ago trying to call TWC was a hassle. took 2 minutes and boom solved. appreciate it though

Zboy likes this.
  5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Glad it was a simple problem. Network issues can be nightmares to figure out.

6. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

i may be just seeing stuff...but it looks like just webpages are loading faster. the old modem we had from TWC i think was just crapping out. it cut in and out and rebooted a lot recently. i don't know if it was an older DOCIS 2.0 or not. either way...getting a new one was the route to go i think

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Was the TWC-issued modem one of those modem-router combo devices? Those are absolute garbage from my experiences.

CCity Zero likes this.
  8. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

nah...but it was a big clunky one. awhile back...talking years ago..my parents bundled the tv/internet/phone because it was a cheaper price. they swapped out our very first modem and we got some bigger/clunkier one...i'm assuming that allowed the phone to work. because for years if we unplugged our modem to say restart our internet. our home phone would be out.

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, have to turn them into dumb modem/bridge etc and run you're own router if you're using their modems...

RedRedemption likes this.