1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PC HELP] Modem Rebooting Issue

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Aug 16, 2015.

1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

So i don't tend to download very large files often, mainly just the few PC games i've purchased over the years (titanfall, SC2, BF 4) i noticed this problem with those...but even more so when i was downloading GTA V last night.

my modem when downloading these large files re boots quite a bit on its own. i thought it was kind of weird with those other games...maybe just kind of freaky incidents with TWC repairing something or whatever. but after it did it a handful of times last night with GTA V i decided to google search the problem and it looks like it happens quite a bit to others as well.

it only happens when downloading large files. day to day use is just fine.

i'm not sure if theres something i can do on my end or if i just need to contact TWC and request a tech come out. anyone have this problem before?

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I would request a tech to come out and take a look. If it's only happening with large files, maybe the modem is just not able to handle it which shouldn't be the case.

Also, do you own your own modem or is it a leased modem from TWC? I've found it's better to own your own because it make sense financially but you can also pick out your own modem. A popular Docsis 3.0 modem that works really well with cable is Motorola SB6141, or you can opt for the slightly cheaper SB6121.

3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I second the docsis 3.0 suggestion. Also, if you go that route, make sure TWC removes the monthly charge from your bill.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yeah never rent their equipment...