1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PC HELP] Boot Problem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Freik, Apr 30, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

I just bought a Motherboard, Processor, RAM, and video card from a friend. I bring it home, throw it in a case with a hard drive and dvd burner that i was using in my previous system.

The system turns on.
    BUT most of them time, it turns itself off b4 i posts.
    Sometimes, i get all the way past post and to where its looking for an OS.
    Its never the same amount of time when it turns itself off.
    When it boots, it detects everything right.

The computer is a:
    Athlon 64 3500+
    2 Gigs of DDR 400 Ram (2 sticks Corsiar)
    BFG GeForce 6600 GT PCIe
    Asus A8N SLI Delux Motherboard
    320GB Sata WD hard drive
    Random 16x DVD burner.
    ThermalTake SViking Case
    Antec NeoHE 430 High Efficiency 430W ATX12V v2.2 Computer Power Supply,

I have unplugged EVERYTHING from the board except the VGA, RAM, and CPU/CPU Fan. And its still doing the same thing.
    When i unplugged everything, i did them individually to see if one thing was causing the problem, first time i just unplugged the power from the device, then when it didnt work i would remove the actual cable connection from the motherboard.
    I've even unplugged all the extra usb slots and Sound/Mic extension from the board as well.

I have another power supply to try tomorrow, but its a cheal 480W power supply made my demon or whoever.

The friend plugged it all up b4 he sold it to me and updated the bios and everything, and it restarted for him fine.

Personally i think its either a power supply issue, or that the CMOS battery is about dead and rebooting.
    This is my first Athlon 64 processor computer and my first PCIe card to install, hopefully something changed and im just overlooking something easy.

The board has the 24pin power connector and the 4 pin connector, as well as a Molex connector on the motherboard, all of which are plugged in.

Any Ideas?

2. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Did you put a fan and some thermal past on top of the processor? I don't really know, you might want to try another forum like hardocp.com

3. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

your friend lied to you.

4. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

The fact that you're able to get into Windows before it turns off makes me think it's a power supply issue as well.

If there were problems with your video card, ram, or cpu...it probably wouldn't even get past the BIOS when booting.

5. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

heat, power or RAM are my top 3 guesses. Make sure that heatsink/fan is on TIGHT.

6. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

It's possible you have the heatsink on backwards. I'm not really sure how the Athlon 64 Socket is shaped, but for the old Athlon XPs the socket wasn't symmetrical. One time I put the heatsink on upside-down, didn't even realize it, and experienced the same problems you're having now.

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i know this doesnt belong in this thread but i cant make a new one....

the pin to my headphones broke off into the audio inputs in my motherboard. is there a way i can re-configure the inputs so that i can use my sub/center speaker input or real l/r input as a front L/R audio input

or do i just have to buy a video card :(

8. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

i swapped out the power supply and its working.
    i guess it needed more than 430W
    i had a 480w laying around and its doing good so far.