1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

payment via paypal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan_98, Jun 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i'm selling my jeep, and the interested purchaser wants to transfer funds via paypal. it seems like there was a thread on here a few weeks ago where the seller had the funds pulled out of his account when the purchaser disputed the transaction.

any advice on proceeding with a paypal payment? should i refuse that method in lieu of a bank check or cash?

2. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Is the buyer a member of a west African royal family?

1 person likes this.
  3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Paypal automatically freezes disputed funds once a chargeback is initiated and even providing concrete proof of purchase won't get you your money back. I have to deal with this constantly when ****head hackers from Eastern Europe buy **** from my company's website, reroute the package to some clueless idiot in Iowa who thinks he's working from home for a large Global internet courier and make off with 500-600 worth of product scot free.

1 person likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I feel sorry for those of west African royal families who really do need to get a loan or borrow some money. No one will ever believe them.

1 person likes this.
  5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Paypal Invoice is the only way to protect yourself when dealing with payments for goods/services. There is usaully a 2.9% fee plus $0.30. So you can imagine a large sum of payment would include a large fee, plus $0.30. I would definitely say cash or check would be easier, however a lot of people are moving towards digital transactions such as paypal/venmo/google wallet. If you're willing to take on the 2.9% hit (or can charge the buyer that fee) than I would feel at ease accepting that payment. However, it does take a few days for any sum to go from paypal to your bank, and sometimes large sums of money require you to pay paypal for a business membership to have unlimited/uncapped fund transfer. I think it's $1,000 cap for regular membership (free membership).

Hope this helps.

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

No NOT use PayPal for transactions like this. I stopped using PayPal about 7 years ago after I sold a Macbook Pro for $2000 and then guy disputed the charge on the very last day. I sent PayPal proof that I sent the item, proof he received it and more - and PayPal didn't care. They gave the dude his money back and he got to keep my Mac.

1 person likes this.
  7. ling ling

ling ling Member

Don't do PayPal unless you know and trust the other party.

1 person likes this.
  8. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

We accept PayPal on my company's website. It's reliable and make our customers feel at ease. The downside is we get charged 2.5% plus 30 cents per transaction. But since you'll be doing a one-time payment, be very careful since they can cancel the transaction or dispute it just like you said. If you can, try asking the purchaser to use another form of payment so you don't have to deal with this issue and getting a big chunk taken away from you. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the responses. Decided to decline the paypal option.